PDA

View Full Version : I am becoming sooo much smarter

Zoe Girl
2-17-11, 10:47am
:cool: Yeah, my oldest is 20, living on her own with roomates, and gee am I so much smarter. I have to say that she is a pretty good kid and always loves leftovers (after 2 years at Burger King anything but a Whopper tasted good), now when she comes for dinner she is very happy to take home food. She also really liked the TP and cleaning supplies for Christmas.

However the way I am really smart is that she is dealing with people, and like most of us has found people she thought were so super cool only to find out they have major issues just like a difficult person in her life before (in her case dad). She called to ask me how to deal with a situation because she knew I was the only person who had a clue how to deal with it. I am not sure I still know how to deal with it but I offered some advice, she did her best, but she also has a lot to work on to become assertive enough to deal with the situation. I signed her up for a Civilized Assertiveness for Women class and I think that may really help, I liked the class when I took it.

But keep some kind thoughts for her, if this is what it appears to be she is in a lease with a narcissist for the next 9 months and it doesn't get much better once you are not the coolest thing since sliced cheese anymore.

sweetana3
2-17-11, 4:27pm
Isnt it amazing how a little age and distance makes parents so much smarter??? I have seen this over and over and over.

A great way to keep in touch is with special food. A friend was always prepared to send her kids home with all kinds of homemade goodies. She had recipies like granola, puppy chow, spiced nuts, cookies, sauces, etc. She made every effort to keep up with her grown kids diet issues, such as vegan, vegetarian, etc.

Sadly she died last October and her daughters found her recipes, menu cards, and planning charts to be real eye openers. They are trying to recreate some of the things she made for them.

redfox
2-17-11, 4:35pm
I have a friend with a bumper sticker on his truck that says "Hire a teenager while they still know everything"!

Zoe Girl
2-18-11, 9:38am
I copied a lot of my recipes for my daughter when she first moved out, she is my kid least likely to cook but she can make them. However every family dinner night seems to be tacos and she wants me to change that to at least chicken tacos.