PDA

View Full Version : Another post for those of us who like Tiny Houses

herbgeek
1-25-13, 8:42pm
This is the first post I've seen that had tiny houses with a modern style- the ones I've seen have been really rustic, with few windows. While I like the /idea/ of a tiny house, the pictures make me claustrophobic.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ten-tiny-houses-182625

There was one with a wall of windows that I could actually consider for a weekend retreat.

MamaM
1-25-13, 10:20pm
I want a tiny house but it will have to be all one level and have larger windows. Due to medical issues, I can't climb much and I like some space. :)

jp1
1-27-13, 10:25pm
herbgeek, I agree completely. Although I like the concept of the tumbleweed houses I find that the wood interior is just too dark for my taste. We lived in a decent sized apartment with big windows and skylights, and white walls, but it had wood paneling on the ceiling and it just made the place feel really dark at night. I can't imagine if it'd been a small space and the walls were wood also. Whenever I see tiny places that are bright and light like this link I love it.

Gardenarian
1-28-13, 3:55pm
Nice - thanks!

JaneV2.0
3-21-13, 10:57pm
Just when you start to think the Kardashians have corrupted an entire generation, Celina builds her own tiny house:

http://mytinyabode.blogspot.com/

From Celina's blog:
Wednesday, November 9, 2011
It all starts with a dream.
Like most things in life this project started with a dream, a vision an idea. I have always liked small spaces, when I was young(er) I always wanted my room to be the closet. I would build forts and proceed to spend the majority of my days in them - organizing and finding a place for everything. Also I always wanted to be and architect/designer. I would layout dream houses (at this point they were mansions with streams running through the center and water slides from floor to floor.)

But when I was fifteen or so reality kicked in. In only a couple years (as much as I love my dad) I would be ready to move out. And looking at our current situation - renting a 900 sq. ft cottage for around $1000 a month - I could happily live in a space the size of my room. Plus having lived in 14 homes (all but 2 rented) and stayed in 50 homes in Europe, I was ready to have a space of my own. One that I could hang pictures, paint walls or do absolutely anything I like.

Growing up in our household I quickly adopted the mindset - why pay someone else to do it when with a little time and effort you can do it yourself? My dad is a wood worker and has also worked with metal, fiberglass, glass and many other materials. I was exposed to all of these materials, and made my own inventions with the scraps. I grew up making things.

More recently I took two shop classes at the local high school. One of them went through all of the shops, wood, metal, auto and cad. This helped to spark my already growing interest in cars, structures and welding. I then proceeded to take an advanced metals class, where I learned all types of welding and designed and built a beautiful art desk.

This last summer I spent two weeks working 10 hours a day 6 days a week with my dad on a big crazy wood working project. Building 2, 46ft long wavy glue laminated walls for an elevator lobby for Goldman Sack's new office located in New York. It was after this project that I realized - I can make anything.

And so My Tiny Abode was born. The trick is, don't let your dreams be dreams.

Just do it,

iris lily
3-21-13, 11:14pm
ah that is great of Celine, good for her! her tiny house will roll around anywhere. I wonder what kind of truck she's got to pull it.

JaneV2.0
3-21-13, 11:22pm
ah that is great of Celine, good for her! her tiny house will roll around anywhere. I wonder what kind of truck she's got to pull it.

A heavy duty one of some kind, she reports, that used up most of her budget:
http://www.southwhidbeyrecord.com/news/139133434.html#

She won't be looking back on all the things she should have done, I'll bet.

Zoebird
3-22-13, 1:00am
I love this one: http://www.designboom.com/architecture/compact-beach-chalet-by-studiomama/
(http://www.designboom.com/architecture/compact-beach-chalet-by-studiomama/)
I suppose it's a small house, not a tiny one.

Mrs-M
3-22-13, 9:20am
Thanks. Enjoyed all the links. Small homes are my weakness.

redfox
3-22-13, 12:27pm
I used this book as inspiration when I built my 512sf house, years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Tiny-Houses-How-Away-From/dp/0879512717

BayouGirl
3-22-13, 5:30pm
I adore tiny houses!! Mt first encounter with living little was when we lived on a carnival cruiseship for 6 months after Katrina. My late fiance (The captain) found that we adapted very well to the tiny life. Then we spent another 6 months in a FEMA trailer and our ultimate dream was to live in a time camp on the water.

Then I moved to the country and found an adorable 200 sq ft wood frame house for $1200 and bought it and lived in it quite cozily.It is amazing how much money you save by living little. Your utility bills shrink majorly and so many other costs. The leave times to play more and not work so hard trying to support yourself.

Now BayouBoy and I live in our "big" (600 sq ft !!) house that we bought for $4500 and he moved it himself. I have a thread on here about that, with pics.

There are many reasons that people choose to live in tiny house. Mine had a lot to do wit not wanting to work my life away, supporting a house and not having free time to really live life because i was so busy working. I wanted a simpler life and wanted to be more self sufficient and not live in the city where they regulate everything. ticket you for parking in your own yard, prohibit gardens and other equally asinine rules.

I would love to have my own tiny town with tiny houses on it. I love the creativity that people who create tiny house come up with. Tiny Tumbleweed houses and some others are quite cute but are extraordinarily overpriced and defeat the purpose of having a small home in the first place since they cost so much.

Zoebird
3-22-13, 6:21pm
The recent GRand Designs show showed a beautiful, architectural gem on the Isle of Sky (scotland) that was 800 sq ft or so. The builder/owners were saying that they couldn't afford bigger, and it's better to have a little of something precious than a lot of mediocrity. I'd be inclined to agree.

They spend 190UKpounds on the whole thing, and that is terribly affordable for what they got! It was truly beautiful. Joyous even.

Yesterday, I got triggered because a friend of mine bought a big old house (for the two of them). On the one hand, I'm all 'congratulations! and awesome!" because I do feel that way, but on the other, I'm like. . . wow, i really wouldn't want that. I'm "supposed to" want that, but I don't want it!

And then we watched Grand Designs -- which usually deals in HUGE multi-million dollar builds -- and here was this small, financially accessible house . . . and I felt validated.