PDA

View Full Version : No contract cell service with unlimited texting

Paige
1-26-13, 12:57pm
My little family of four, with two kids in college, are trying to cut down expenses and want to start with cell phones. We don't need smart phones and have been using Verizon with a contract at 126.00 a month due. But we don't talk on the phone much, we text and make quick calls. We can't use T-mobile due to poor service in our neighborhood. Any suggestions as to good deals, phone companies out there? Thanks for your help.

Jilly
1-26-13, 2:15pm
I use a Trak phone. It is the least expensive cell phone and minutes that I have found. You do have to remember to buy minutes once in a while, though.

When I bought mine, you had to purchase a separate thing to have double minutes for the life of the phone, but now that comes with the new phones. I had a recent fall and broke my first one and when I called them about buying a new one (discount store) they told me that they would transfer my minutes.

My first phone cost $10; they still sell that one. I am much older now and I bought a phone with larger, lighted number keys and display.

I talked to all of the other companies and Trak is the best for me. Nothing fancy, but it does the job.

awakenedsoul
1-26-13, 2:32pm
I have a Jitterbug phone. I really like it. I pay $20.00 a month for 200 mins. I think the phone cost me $100. It's really nice. I was spending much more when I had a landline.

SteveinMN
1-26-13, 5:07pm
Paige, you should check out what are called MVNOs. These are companies which purchase big blocks of capacity on the networks of the big carriers (Verizon, at&t, Sprint, T-Mobile) and then offer some lower-priced plans. Not every MVNO serves every market, and since you don't state where you live, here is Wikipedia's list of U.S. MVNOs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_opera tors) so you can choose a location/brand/carrier that works for your family. Keep in mind that, if you move to an MVNO using a different carrier, you may have to buy new phones, which won't exactly save you $$.

The other thing to do, if you have not already done it, is to go over your bill. We found that we were texting more than we were, so where we were doing well paying the occasional overage, every month had become "overage". We also found one phone had subscribed (inadvertantly) to some of those "premium services" that cost a lot of money for no value, so we got unsubscribed from those. We saved $20+/month and did not have to extend our contract. But an audit of your bills sure wouldn't hurt.

pony mom
1-27-13, 9:56pm
Check out Virgin Mobile's no contract plan--unlimited texting for $35/mo. 300 talk minutes.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-phone-plans/beyond-talk-plans/overview/

rose
2-15-13, 5:36pm
I use Virgin (Sprint lines). Unlimited text, talk and internet for $55 per month. Got rid of my landline. No contract. And you can switch back and forth between plans anytime you want. Had it about a year. Service isn't perfect but I do note that At & T phones that some friends have drop calls more than my service. They are paying a lot more.

awakenedsoul
2-15-13, 10:00pm
I just bought 1000 extra minutes for the year at 10 cents a minute from Jitterbug. If I go over my 200 mins. I won't have to pay 35 cents a minute. I use about 300 mins. a month, so this is the best deal. My monthly rate is still $20.00.

Blackdog Lin
2-15-13, 10:30pm
TracFone. Unless you text an amazing amount (which we don't)= $7.50/mo./phone.

Amazingly affordable. And it works everywhere.

gimmethesimplelife
2-16-13, 12:55am
Hmmm.....cell phones.....a topic that has been a real irritant with me over the past year. I read somewhere recently that only 2% of cell phone users switch companies over the course of a year - in the past twelve months I have been with five companies. This last one is Boost which I (knock on wood) will not have problems with - $50 a month will unlimited talk and text and the bill will shrink down to $35 over time if I stay with them. So far so good. Someone above mentioned Virgin Mobile - who was great for me until I foolishly upgraded my cell phone to a smartphone. I had nothing but issues with Virgin Mobile after that. So, I'm hoping this works for me for the long term, Boost I mean.....

Simplemind
2-16-13, 1:45am
We have been happy Tracfone users for years.

SteveinMN
2-16-13, 12:00pm
in the past twelve months I have been with five companies. This last one is Boost [snip] Someone above mentioned Virgin Mobile - who was great for me until I foolishly upgraded my cell phone to a smartphone. I had nothing but issues with Virgin Mobile after that.
I hope it works out for you. Boost and Virgin Mobile are all brands from Sprint, so they must have different crews selling to and supporting their customers.

nswef
2-16-13, 3:35pm
We've used trac phones for years. They upgraded it to digital several years back which made them work more places. We are in a dead zone for all carriers apparently, so must keep a land line as well. We only use the trac when we are out and I don't know how to text. It costs about $10 a month when I buy the 2 year plan and minutes. We each have a phone so $20 a month.