PDA

View Full Version : Counted cross stitch on black canvas--will I go blind??

pony mom
1-30-13, 10:23pm
I've done counted cross stitch for many many years, always on white or natural colored Aida cloth. Found this at Hobby Lobby for $10 and had to get it: http://www.sears.com/bucilla-midnight-rendezvous-counted-cross-stitch-kit-10-3-4inchx12inch/p-SPM650863903P

My friend told me I'd regret doing anything on black canvas. How bad can it be? Anyone else here do one?

It's soooooo cute and I can't wait to start it but am determined to finish a 20+ yr. old embroidery kit that I just started.

Rosemary
1-31-13, 5:49am
Beautiful scene! I don't see why it would be any more blinding than a light-color-on-white scheme, like many that I've seen before.

sweetana3
1-31-13, 5:56am
Do it with good light and a white sheet on your lap under the material you are stitching on. It really is critical what the fabric is too. It must have holes between threads that let even little light thru or reflect on the surface so you can see the intersections of the threads.

They say it is an evenweave but there are many kinds. If it is impossible, you can always switch out to a higher quality black linen with distinct threads. It will be more difficult than cream or a light color but possible if you have very good light.

Tussiemussies
1-31-13, 1:25pm
Really pretty picture. That is great that you do cross stitch. I find it to be very tedious, so you must have a lot of patience!

KayLR
1-31-13, 3:53pm
I've done one picture on black aida, and I can still see! But I do concur with sweetana's advice!

pony mom
2-1-13, 1:32pm
The white sheet tip is great. I haven't opened it but I think it's the basic Aida cloth that has the tiny holes at the squares' intersections.

I've found that coloring in the finished parts on the pattern with colored pencils really helps me a lot. Especially when the colors are so close; I use drastically different colored pencils for those so I can see the difference.