PDA

View Full Version : Quick Memories

MamaM
2-1-13, 10:37am
Hubby and I were talking about Summer...and I always have these quick memories that pop up:

1. My Nanna and Papa coming to visit with their 1 turquoise leather suitcase. She packed her bobby pins in an old butter container and she would bring a small bag of stuff. She was a constant declutter but the goodies were usually small soaps, earrings, a handmade item (she liked yard craft but she didn't keep any of it)
2. My green polka dot bikini from when I was around 9. Probably had more material than the average bathing suit of today but I remember those dots and that little ruffle on the top.
3. Forts under the forsythia trees.
4. Bagels and cream cheese, grape soda- special treats back then, just for the summer

Mrs-M
2-1-13, 11:00am
My days are filled with both quick and long memory trances!

- As kids we spend gobs of time at the lake, and to this day the smell of fresh lake-water still sits fresh in my mind.

- I loved it when dad would cut the lawn, then later that night we'd gather around outside, and the sweet fresh smell of grass would permeate the air!

- Hearing everyone's sprinklers going, and seeing clothes drying on everyone's clotheslines!

Gosh... I could go on and on. Love this thread!

Mrs-M
2-1-13, 11:04am
MamaM. I'm assuming you also have quick memories Re: other seasons/times of the year?

MamaM
2-1-13, 11:16am
Oh yes...it's just the mention of summer triggered these today. : )

A more recent one--we were talking about how we had an in window AC in California when my son was born 7 years ago. It was SO hot in San Diego that summer..and we hovered around that little AC in our bedroom for 3 days, eating salads, ice cream and pizza on our bed.

Or how about playing board games in our pop up camper while FALL camping in the Adirondacks and I threw out my back skimming rocks on the river. I remember my Mom heating up hot towels on the camp stove by draping them near the fire, wrapping it around my back and letting me wear my dad's heavy jacket to keep warm. It's also the time she melted the sole of her sneakers but resting her feet near the fire. : )

Driving my hubby's convertible for the first time when we were still dating...felt a little like Thelma and Louise---without the gun. ; )

Mrs-M
2-1-13, 11:24am
I would have given anything for a window air-conditioner when my kids were babies. It was torture for them sometimes. Sweating, fussing... agitated by the relentless heat. I'd prop a small oscillating fan in front of the window late into the night, to help draw-in cooler, more fresh air into the nursery.

P.S. The Adirondacks memory is delightful!