PDA

View Full Version : What's for dinner?

Gardenarian
2-17-11, 7:58pm
We're low on everything - I think it'll be eggs (maybe cheese omelets) and home fries, and an apple crisp for dessert.

What are you eating tonight?

Gina
2-17-11, 8:18pm
Chicken thighs from the freezer, and broccoli stir-fried with onions. Maybe with some brown rice. http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=141&d=1294381296

I should probably put that on to cook.

I was going to the store today but never made it so dinner will be what was already here.

Perplexa
2-17-11, 8:28pm
Roasted brussel sprouts, adzuki bean burgers with sesame sauce, mashed potatoes. Mmmmm!

JaneV2.0
2-17-11, 8:55pm
Homemade chicken gumbo soup and buttered popcorn popped in truffle oil. Not the most balanced meal I've ever made...:~)

redfox
2-17-11, 9:50pm
Just made a chicken soup with chunky veggies and turmeric broth... yumm! Tossed greens on the side, and a whole wheat chapati. This is what we do with the roast chicken when we're done pulling meat off of it.

puglogic
2-17-11, 11:00pm
We made a pot of spicy tomato soup, grilled cheese on homemade ww/walnut bread, and sliced apples. Perfect winter dinner!

Wildflower
2-18-11, 3:58am
It was unusually warm here at dinnertime so we barbecued hamburgers outside on the grill and served them on whole wheat buns with cheddar cheese slices, bbq sauce and sliced tomatoes, with seasoned french fries and a salad.

And I can't sleep which is why I am up at this hour telling you what I had for dinner. LOL >8)

Rosemary
2-18-11, 8:14am
last night: roast chicken, cornbread stuffing that I had frozen, spinach. Tonight: Asian-style chicken noodle soup.

Stella
2-18-11, 9:19am
I'm going to be boring for a while. We're going out for all you can eat pancakes.

CatsNK
2-18-11, 9:51am
Leftovers from 3 meals: Split pea soup, pasta w/pesto and tofu stir-fry.

bubaloo13
2-18-11, 10:54am
Tofu scramble tonight, chock full of veggies that are getting a bit past their prime (red potatoes, orange bell pepper, kale, and whatever else comes to hand!).

treehugger
2-18-11, 11:51am
Last night: fried rice made with leftover rice, eggs, very wilted celery, an onion, a red bell pepper that need to be used, and some previously roasted chicken from the freezer.

Tonight: leftover fried rice. :)

bke
2-18-11, 11:56am
Puglogic

Is there any chance that you might share your tomato soup recipe? Dh and I have been looking for a homemade tomato soup to add to our rotation at work. Every day we make a fresh soup and our getting into a rut with the selection.

Thanks.

mira
2-18-11, 3:57pm
Baked potatoes with baked beans and cheese and some leafy salad on the side. Running low on food and I couldn't be bothered going shopping!

IshbelRobertson
2-18-11, 4:50pm
roasted garlic chicken breasts with ratatouille, crushed new potatoes and brocolli.

pinkytoe
2-18-11, 5:44pm
I don't have a clue - totally uninspired today with this hot weather.

Simplicity
2-18-11, 7:18pm
Panfried salmon, basmati rice and stir-fried veggies. mmm

puglogic
2-19-11, 12:07am
Puglogic

Is there any chance that you might share your tomato soup recipe? Dh and I have been looking for a homemade tomato soup to add to our rotation at work. Every day we make a fresh soup and our getting into a rut with the selection. Thanks.

Hi bke,
This is a recipe cut out of the paper - a local "comfort food" restaurant's recipe, so so easy:
2T olive oil
1 small onion, sliced
1 clove of garlic, pressed or minced, or just a bit of garlic powder
1 t crushed red pepper flakes
2 28-oz cans of plum tomatoes (we substitute Muir Glen Fire Roasted)
1/4 c chopped fresh basil

Saute the onion & red pepper in the olive oil over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it's tender (about 7 minutes). Add the tomatoes as well as 1-1/2 cups of water and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes. Turn off the heat, stir in the basil and a little salt & pepper, and let cool a little before pureeing in a blender or food processor. They say "pass the soup through a fine mesh strainer" and I suppose you could do that if you wanted, but we don't mind our a tiny bit chunky.

Served with a dollop of sour cream and a grilled cheese sandwich....super yum and almost no effort except chopping the onion.

puglogic
2-19-11, 12:11am
Baked potatoes with baked beans and cheese and some leafy salad on the side. Running low on food and I couldn't be bothered going shopping!

I love to top baked potatoes with leftover beans or lentils or chili, toss on some cheese, some salsa, and maybe a sprinkling of fried onions. Heaven was never so easy.

Blackdog Lin
2-19-11, 6:17am
Well, I've been sitting here thinking about what's in the fridge that needs used up. Have some leftover layered bean dip plate (which itself was made with the bottom of a leftover pot of beans, layered with salsa, shredded cheese, peppers and green onions); and 1/2 pack of small tortillas; and 1/3 lb. breakfast sausage; and we're always stocked with eggs from the henhouse. So: mini breakfast burritos, and I think I'll chill a can of peaches or applesauce to go with 'em.

JaneV2.0
2-19-11, 12:40pm
It's either beef Stroganoff and cauliflower mash or corned beef and cabbage.

Anne Lee
2-19-11, 1:42pm
A roast.

razz
2-19-11, 2:19pm
I make homemade sauerkraut that we both love and freeze it. DH just brought in some sausages that I bought yesterday to go with it.

Jinger
2-19-11, 7:02pm
Breakfast supper...homemade blueberry buttermilk pancakes, real Vermont maple syrup and apple wood smoked bacon....comfy cozy!

Gardenarian
2-23-11, 5:42pm
Jinger - I have always had a fondness of breakfast for dinner, even if it's just a bowl of oatmeal!

My dh is working tonight so I'm trying to think of something quick to cook (I'm at work now) for me and dd.
Probably end up being a brown rice and tofu night - not dd's favorite...

Gina
2-23-11, 7:13pm
Tonight will be mock paella. Brown rice with 'stuff' from the freezer. :)

treehugger
2-23-11, 7:30pm
Leftovers from last night: roast chicken, potatoes (cooked in the bottom of the roast pan), and green cabbage (sauteed in olive oil and butter, with S&P).

JaneV2.0
2-23-11, 8:24pm
Pork chops with peppers, onions, tomatoes, and mangoes.

bke
2-24-11, 11:11am
Thanks Puglogic-I couldn't remember which thread this was and lost it for awhile. I can't wait to try the soup-sounds simple and yummy!

puglogic
2-24-11, 2:41pm
Tonight: Brinner! :) Scrambled eggs, homemade biscuits, veggie sausage, fruit.

Rosemary
2-24-11, 4:25pm
Vietnamese-style noodle soup, again. It was a great hit last week, and I have all of the ingredients on hand, with some broth I made a couple of days ago and the last of a bunch of cilantro.

IshbelRobertson
2-24-11, 5:33pm
Chicken biryani.

Questa7
2-24-11, 6:42pm
Julia Child's French Onion soup! And salad.

razz
2-24-11, 6:46pm
Split pea soup made with sauteed diced onions, celery, garlic, carrots, potatoes and then the small amount of diced ham and split peas left to simmer. Doesn't seem to need any additional flavouring and keeps well frozen.

Gardenarian
2-24-11, 7:51pm
It's chilly today! Going to make lentil soup (very simple - onions, celery, carrots...& lentils!) and baked potatoes. I like my baked potatoes with yogurt, and we've got some wild onions that will go nicely with that. Oh, and a butternut squash. Not very creative - maybe I could mash the potatoes and the squash? eh.

treehugger
2-24-11, 8:00pm
Continuing the soup theme from above, Mark Bittman's Smoky Black Bean Soup. I soaked the beans last night and am cooking them today in the crockpot while I am at work. The soup itself should go together quickly once I get home. Depending on how ambitious I am feeling, I might also make rolls or pita to accompany the soup, with the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes dough I have in the fridge.

JaneV2.0
2-24-11, 10:29pm
Hebrew National dogs with chopped sweet onion and whiskey BBQ sauce and a romaine salad.

kally
2-24-11, 10:32pm
curried chickpeas on barley

puglogic
2-24-11, 10:52pm
Continuing the soup theme from above, Mark Bittman's Smoky Black Bean Soup.

Treehugger, which Bittman book is this in? From the name, it sounds terrific.

RCWRTR
2-25-11, 4:40pm
Kookoo Sibzamini - a Persian savory potato omelet/frittata dish.

Anne Lee
2-25-11, 4:47pm
Tacos. Again. It's Friday.

earthshepherd
2-25-11, 5:33pm
Tonight is shepherd's pie made with all vegetarian ingredients. The men are just gonna hafta deal with it!

Gina
2-25-11, 5:49pm
Tonight is shepherd's pie made with all vegetarian ingredients.
How appropriate for someone named 'earthshepherd'. ;)

I'm making pizza. It's cold and wet here today, and the warmth from the oven will feel good. Crust 2/3 ww, 1/3 white flour. Toppings are going to be what I can find. There's onion, frozen chiles, cheese, one sausage, and some olive tepinade stuff for the sauce. I think there's still some frozen pesto too.

leslieann
2-25-11, 6:41pm
Pizza and DH is making it...yay! We are supposed to get 30 cms of nasty white stuff and it is coming down HARD. Wet, heavy snow and will go on all night. So staying home and listening to jazz on the radio and eating DH's homemade pizza...not a bad way to spend a Friday night. Lots of black olives, garlic, green onions and peppers, and he crumbled a little feta we had in the fridge and a sprinkle of mozzarella...smells WONDERFUL!

Merski
2-26-11, 7:40am
In the crockpot I made a yummy combo of chicken thighs, onions, celery, peppers, carrots, chicken broth and tomatoes -spiced with curry powder. It's kind of a stew. Served it over jasmine rice. We have enough for several days and think it's one of the best crock pot meals I've ever made.

Mrs-M
2-26-11, 9:07am
Hi Gardenarian! Last night it was sour cream and chive pasta, garden salad with asiago cheese, and grilled salmon.

IshbelRobertson
2-26-11, 9:11am
Last night was spatch****ed chicken, with a white wine sauce, glazed carrots and celeriac mash.

Tonight: Pan-seared darne of salmon, with a dill sauce, spinach and crushed new potatoes.

Mrs-M
2-26-11, 9:19am
Ishbel. I've never heard of spatch****ed chicken before. (Trying hard right now to fill in the blanks/stars).

IshbelRobertson
2-26-11, 5:28pm
c o c k e d!

Sheesh, sometimes an online censorbot makes no sense!

IshbelRobertson
2-26-11, 5:38pm
Here's a video from Marco Pierre White explaining how to spatch c o ck a chicken - (it means flatten!)
http://www.vitalrecipe.com/view/9at2r7b5r/how-to-spatch****-a-chicken-by-marco-pierre-white/

Gina
2-26-11, 6:14pm
Slow-roasted pork. It not only heats the house, but is tender and yummy. Also fresh lettuce from the garden.

Anne Lee
2-26-11, 7:52pm
Tortellini w/ alfredo sauce. Homemade bread sprinkled w/ Parmesan and basil from last summer's garden. Salad. I cut up fresh oranges and set them out on the table. Much to my surprise, both DH and DS ate some.

kally
2-26-11, 8:04pm
A spinach egg casserole.

Mrs-M
2-26-11, 9:46pm
Thanks for explaining Ishbel! :) Thanks for the link too. (Looks like the online censorbot program on this forum is of the REAL fuddy-duddy type)! :laff:

Tiam
2-26-11, 11:47pm
Nice to have fresh lettuce this time of year. Too early here.

Gina
2-28-11, 10:36pm
It was the first homegrown lettuce in about a year. It got really hot early last year, and then I didn't get around to fall plantings.. But I'm in business again. :)

Tonight I made a really nice rice dish. I found a rogue sausage in the freezer so I chopped up an onion, some chopped frozen red pepper, browned 'em all, and then added garlic, some seasonings, uncooked brown rice, and water and let it simmer. Yum. I need to buy some frozen peas - those would have been good added to the mix, and colorful.

The freezer is getting eaten down nicely. I found a piece of wild-caught salmon that will be consumed soon. I'm also seeing some mystery packets that might have to be tossed if I can't recognize them. The frozen dried blueberries from last year are almost all gone.... sniff, whimper.

bae
2-28-11, 10:44pm
Oatmeal with cream, honey, and berries. Very hungry teenage sailing team returning from the first day's practice in freezing, snowy weather calmed down pretty quickly once we shoveled a few pails of this into them.

debi
3-1-11, 3:12pm
This week's menu: Feb. 27 - homemade pizza; Feb. 28 - made spaghetti and garlic bread; March 1 - oven fried pork chops, baked potato and sugar snap peas; March 2 - leftover spaghetti night; March 3 - leftover pork chop night; March 4 - beef stir fry; March 5 - homemade nacho's (ground beef, melted cheese, olives, onions, nacho chips)

IshbelRobertson
3-1-11, 5:56pm
We had cottage pie with tenderstem broccoli. Cottage pie is minced beef, with onions in gravy and topped with a layer of mashed, creamed potatoes. It's only called shepherd's pie if it's made with minced lamb (at least here in the UK) - if it has carrots in the mince portion and cheese in the potato layer, then for some unknown (to me) reason, it's called Cumberland pie! Sometimes, I add mashed swedes to the potato layer (think that's rutabaga in USA-speak!)

treehugger
3-1-11, 6:52pm
Pasta with roasted cauliflower, capers, onions, chicken, and lemon zest (leftovers from Sunday). Since I don't have to cook dinner, I think I might make more bread from the "Artisan Bread in 5" dough in the fridge.

Anne Lee
3-1-11, 8:09pm
Chicken and biscuits. The chicken was meh. I just wasn't in a chicken mood but it was all that I had ready to go. The Menu Must Be Obeyed.

puglogic
3-1-11, 9:28pm
We turned some corn tortillas and some leftover chili into "enchilada lasagna." Pretty yummy, and cheap.

screamingflea
3-4-11, 11:57pm
Freezer-harvested pepper steak and a fried plantain. Peach yogurt dessert to follow in the guise of a bedtime snack.

Gina
3-5-11, 10:29pm
Freezer-harvested (love that :laff: ) chicken tenders and oven-roasted chiles, with fresh onions and brown rice. A handful of dried cranberries turned it from ordinary to really good. Plus a green salad.

Rosemary
3-5-11, 10:43pm
Lentil soup with wild rice bratwurst from a local farm.

Bootsie
3-6-11, 1:29am
My easiest meal that I love making: heat peppers, onions, and mushrooms in skillet until mushy. Toast bread. Put mushy stuff on bread and top with swiss cheese. Bake in oven until cheese is melted. Top with another piece of toast and squish down. Cut in half and serve. I like to serve this with a green salad that has fruit in it (diced apples, oranges, for example). I've been loving this simple meal during the past few months.

mira
3-6-11, 6:48am
Oh gosh, good question. Bare cupboards. Oh dear.

Merski
3-6-11, 7:24am
Have dried salt cod in the freezer so will be making codfish cakes with homemade coleslaw. Getting some locally raised sausage and will be making sausage bean & kale soup as well. Went to a great indoor farmer's market and bought kale, bean sprouts, spelt flour, and a few other things. Can't wait for spring to plant our garden and to get our overwintered parsnips!

Tiam
3-7-11, 12:58am
I made broccoli (some of it homegrown) with whole wheat pasta and a cheese sauce but it sure didn't taste good!

Rosemary
3-7-11, 5:58am
This week's menu:
tofu/broccoli stir fry
salmon, rice, and green beans
Chickpea-spinach curry
Bean burritos

iris lily
3-7-11, 7:53am
I made lasagna for freezing for quick dinners.

I remember the years where I wouldn't make lasagne because it was too expensve--3 cheeses! Even though back then we had the hamburger.

Gina
3-14-11, 12:53am
I'm still harvesting the freezer and hit a rich vein... an entire beef fillet. (I did know it was there, but today was it's time.) So tonight I lopped off a piece, cut it into bite-sized pieces, sprinkled it with a bit of cayenne, Italian seasoning, a bit of soy sauce and quickly (did not want to over cook it) pan stir-fried it on 'high' with some sliced onion. Served with a fresh tender lettuce salad. My was it good. Oh, and a piece of theraputic dark chocolate. http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=141&d=1294381296

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=199&d=1298101027

JaneV2.0
3-14-11, 1:21am
I hauled a turkey breast out of my freezer, but was too lazy to throw it in the pressure cooker with chicken broth and cranberries--and that's lazy. So I had buttery scrambled eggs and sausage with a dash of maple syrup.

Merski
3-14-11, 7:00am
Made a shepherds pie out of grass fed hamburger, creamed corn and smashed potatoes. It will feed the two of us for several days. In honor of St. Patrick's Day, I baked an oatmeal stout cake which came out great. Will do the corned beef & cabbage meal on Wednesday since we'll both be home for dinner on that night.

IshbelRobertson
3-14-11, 7:02pm
We had shepherd's pie (which is made out of minced lamb, minced beef makes it a cottage pie!) - we had a huge leg of lamb for Sunday lunch with lots of leftovers. It was minced, with fried onions and left-over redwine/redcurrant reduction gravy and then topped with creamed mashed potatoes with Isle of Mull cheddar and roasted leeks.

Stella
3-14-11, 7:10pm
We're having stuffed shells for dinner. I am also making a second batch for freezing since I'll be 38 weeks pregnant this weekend, the longest I've ever gone. I'm expecting the baby will come soon.

I am also going to make a tuna casserole for freezing and maybe a recipe for cheddar potatoes I found on a Once a Month cooking website. Those could be served with chopped up ham or something for a full meal. We'll see if my energy holds, but there may be a batch of split pea soup and/or potato leek soup and a quiche in there too. That's what not-pregnant Stella would do. Pregnant Stella may well very well crash after the tuna casserole. :)

catherine
3-14-11, 7:10pm
Wow, two for shepherd's pie over there in Ireland and Scotland! Sounds great! Well, my dinner is just a leftover lentil/barley soup tonight, but looking forward to Thursday, when OF COURSE we'll be having corned beef and cabbage (I'm vegetarian but "cheat" two times a year--Thanksgiving and St. Patrick's Day).

Bastelmutti
3-14-11, 8:36pm
Crossing fingers, Stella!

Tonight we had rice noodles, fried tofu cubes and a spread of cut-up vegetables - red cabbage, baby corn, carrots, cucumbers, red pepper. Everyone mixed their own with Vietnamese sauce (nuoc cham). Dessert will be a semi-raw pie I am testing. The crust is almonds, walnuts & dates and the filling is strawberries, Greek yogurt and honey. I froze it, but it's thawing in the fridge now.

Merski
3-15-11, 7:59am
I don't live in ireland and I'm as american as they come. Have irish blood in me as well as polish and swedish. One of my dreams though is to spend a year in ireland....

IshbelRobertson
3-15-11, 10:25am
Tonight we're having linguine with crab and chili.

Tiam
3-15-11, 10:55pm
chili? As in tex mex kinda of thing?

IshbelRobertson
3-16-11, 6:13am
No! chili as in scotch bonnet or Thai chilis!

The only food I cannot abide is 'Mexican' (or what purports to be Mexican) - too many beans, too oily, too heavy for my tastes (and I speak as a Scot whose national diet contains a huge carbohydrate weighting!)

Stella
3-16-11, 8:25am
Last night was bratwurst. Tonight is leftover stuffed shells and a salad.

IshbelRobertson
3-17-11, 6:18pm
Tonight (17 March) - kedgeree - with a bit more curry powder to give it some 'welly'!

Gardenarian
3-17-11, 6:41pm
Ishbel - how do you make your kedgeree? I've seen so many variations (and various spellings as well!)

kally
3-17-11, 6:46pm
turkey soup made from turkey necks that are $2.00 for 3. I get about 12 cups of soup from this.

IshbelRobertson
3-17-11, 6:52pm
Ishbel - how do you make your kedgeree? I've seen so many variations (and various spellings as well!)

Here's my family recipe!

Legend has it that this dish was invented by a Scottish regiment, stationed in India during the days of the British Raj, but that may be just an auld wifies' tale...

KEDGEREE
These quantities makes enough for four

2 large finnan haddies
300mls of milk to poach the fish
350g Basmati rice
2 oz butter
3 or 4 hard boiled eggs, shelled and chopped
750ml chicken stock
1 medium onion, finely chopped
One bay leaf
Half teaspoon grated nutmeg
Ground pepper (to taste)
1-2 teaspoons curry powder (I like it to be quite strong and add 2)

Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.

Cook the onion gently in the butter and add the rice, stirring to coat the rice in butter. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Add the bay leaf, cover and cook in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the rice has absorbed the stock.
(Remember to remove the bay leaf at the end of cooking)

Warm the milk, and then add to a saucepan with the fish. Poach the fish in hot milk for five minutes and drain just before the rice is ready. Flake the fish.
When the rice is ready, stir in the flaked fish, chopped eggs, curry powder, nutmeg and pepper, using a fork to stir the flaked fish (to prevent the rice from breaking up).

Finnan Haddie is smoked haddock, named after the fishing village of Findon, up near Aberdeen on the North East coast. It's the best smoked haddock in the world.
Another unique Scottish way of smoking fish is shown in the production of Arbroath Smokies - delicious

Merski
3-20-11, 10:59am
Took broth and leftover vegs from our corned beef & cabbage dinner and I'm making soup from it. Added chopped ham from the freezer and some celery and extra carrots. Already looking pretty good.

Gardenarian
3-24-11, 6:46pm
Sounds great, Ishbel! :+1:

Rosemary
3-24-11, 7:51pm
Last night and tonight, spinach lasagna - DD's birthday request.

Tiam
3-24-11, 11:39pm
No! chili as in scotch bonnet or Thai chilis!

The only food I cannot abide is 'Mexican' (or what purports to be Mexican) - too many beans, too oily, too heavy for my tastes (and I speak as a Scot whose national diet contains a huge carbohydrate weighting!)

Hmmmm, sounds interesting! (come to think of it, I realize you mean the actual peppers themselves and not a dish called 'chili') BTW, I make "mexican' quite often and it isn't oily at all. Lean meat with peppers and onions and and a soft corn tortilla with fresh pico de gallo....yum! Low fat, no beans or oil. (I could add cheese but don't very often. I love the bean but SO doesn't so I don't bother.)

IshbelRobertson
3-25-11, 1:18pm
I love beans, too - just not Mexican or South American type recipes.

Rosemary
3-25-11, 6:37pm
Tonight - a really tasty curried rice pilaf with carrots, green beans, currants, and cashews, alongside make-your-own salad.

bae
3-31-11, 8:54pm
I'm not sure what this is yet, but I better stop fiddling with it before people get home :-)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_8bdYFKk3OW4/TZUgr3eYmcI/AAAAAAAACg0/NKLIsZa55TE/s640/%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

Mrs-M
3-31-11, 10:10pm
Holey moley Bae, does that ever look delicious! Like a Jambalaya or Gumbo variation.

JaneV2.0
3-31-11, 11:08pm
Ricotta, raspberries, and cream. Easy.

mattj
4-1-11, 2:06pm
Homemade pizza night!

Stella
4-1-11, 2:43pm
Hospital cafeteria pizza. Looking at that picture and kind of wishing I was at bae's house tonight. :) That looks yummy.

Mrs-M
4-1-11, 2:55pm
Bae. Would you be willing to share that tomato base recipe with me?

Gina
4-1-11, 2:56pm
Golly, I don't know yet. Salad for sure...

Quick Paella is sounding good. I've got enough 'makings' to make a good one. And there would be left-overs. :cool:

bae
4-1-11, 3:33pm
Bae. Would you be willing to share that tomato base recipe with me?

Well, it turned out more of a curry than anything else.

I think it was:

butter and olive oil melted and heated up a bit
black, yellow mustard seeds, anise seeds, coriander, red pepper flakes, cracked black pepper in hot oil for a few moments
chopped garlic and onions-sliced-into-lengths into oil a few moments later, allow to go on a bit to get golden-ish
lima beans, chick peas in for a bit more
then chopped tomatoes, tumeric, saffron, fenugreek, cumin, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, summer savory, parsley, simmer for a bit
then prawns
simmer slowly
perhaps add a little bit of lemon juice
then finish up with whatever other spices/herbs you think it needs, and about 1/4->1/2 a cup of cream

I served it over small couscous, with some flatbreads I made up from the vat-o-artisan-bread-dough in the refrigerator

I mostly cook by smell and whatever I find handy in the pantry and refrigerator, and my wife usually does much of the marketing, so dinner is generally a very Iron-Chef mystery affair, and I rarely know what I'm going to end up with until it goes on the table.

SiouzQ.
4-1-11, 8:31pm
Well, I was tired and a bit nauseous after trying to read on the bus coming home from work yet still a little hungry for something light. The cupboards are pretty bare since I won't get to the store until Monday but this is what I came up with quickly with ingredients on hand ~ my version of egg drop soup and it turned out really good!

It's 4 cups water, 2 chicken bullion cubes, julienned carrots, some thinly sliced red onion, some shredded kale, and a little broken up thin spaghetti. Boil until the noodles are al dente, throw in the beaten egg and let solidify. Took all of about ten minutes!

loosechickens
4-1-11, 11:39pm
you're a cook after my own heart, bae......that sounds absolutely delicious, and well worth some imitation......I'm pretty much a seat of my pants cook too, and my sweetie is fearless in the kitchen. It's surprising how many of his concoctions turn out wonderfully, but then sometimes he can never duplicate them again, hahahahaha

Merski
4-2-11, 7:44am
Codfish cakes made with the last of the salt cod from the freezer (it may have been bought 2 years ago!) creamed parsnips that we pulled from the garden, colesaw and baked beans from a can.

Mrs-M
4-2-11, 8:54am
Thanks Bae. Going to pick up all necessary ingredients tomorrow and give it a try! P.S. Going to have to start calling you the "spice king"! :)

debi
4-4-11, 4:10pm
Meatloaf, homemade scalloped apples, and homemade rolls.

Tomorrow's dinner will be chili dogs, homemade oven fries (or mac 'n cheese), and brown-sugar beans.

IshbelRobertson
4-4-11, 5:33pm
Darne of salmon, tenderstem brocolli, Charlotte potatoes with mint and rosemary - with homemade mayonnaise.

bae
4-4-11, 5:46pm
Thanks Bae. Going to pick up all necessary ingredients tomorrow and give it a try! P.S. Going to have to start calling you the "spice king"! :)

Penzeys - my heroes!

JaneV2.0
4-4-11, 9:46pm
"It's surprising how many of his concoctions turn out wonderfully, but then sometimes he can never duplicate them again, hahahahaha "

That would be me. I made an excellent mole once, and the best kung pao chicken I've ever had, but I've never been able to recreate either one. Oh well.

I think tonight's repast will be Hebrew Nationals with chopped sweet onion and dill relish and a salad.

iris lily
4-4-11, 9:59pm
I think tonight's repast will be Hebrew Nationals with chopped sweet onion and dill relish and a salad.

Without even reading this we had sliced apple sausages (a commercial product) with slivered onions, cherry tomatoes and sliced peppers all sauted in olive oil and put over tiny noodles. plus, spinach from DH's garden.

Mrs-M
4-5-11, 3:59pm
Thanks for name Bae. I just did a quick Google search and looks like they have an extensive and quality array of spices and seasonings and things.

Will post again tomorrow or day after Re: your recipe.

IshbelRobertson
4-5-11, 6:12pm
Tonight we had cottage pie, with mange tout and purple sprouting broccoli.

Mrs-M
4-5-11, 8:03pm
Gosh, everyone's recipes sound so delicious! Tonight was leftovers... Elk/beef burgers/patties, rice with peanut sauce, and tossed green salad. Boring I know, but it was good.

bae
4-5-11, 8:08pm
My plan for tonight involves figuring out what to do with this pile of king crab my neighbor just gave me:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_8bdYFKk3OW4/TZuuhE4-8oI/AAAAAAAACiE/yd6IXcbieGU/s720/%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

Mrs-M
4-5-11, 8:13pm
Oh my goodness! That makes me so hungry just looking at it! I can taste the lemon and butter and garlic right now! Your neighbour sure does know how to spoil others.

JaneV2.0
4-6-11, 12:31am
Another good source for herbs and spices is http://www.worldspice.com/aboutus/aboutus.shtml
They often have items that are unavailable elsewhere.

Merski
4-6-11, 6:48am
bae- invite us over...we know what to do with those king crab legs...he he he!

margene
4-6-11, 11:18am
Tonight egg salad sandwiches, french fries-mix lemon juice, olive oil, salt pepper, hot pepper, or whatever spices you like-mix cut up potatoes in the bowl and bake then add some feta cheese and melt. very good.

margene
4-6-11, 11:19am
IshbelRobertson, What is cottage pie and mange tout?

Mrs-M
4-6-11, 11:40am
JaneV2.0. Thank you for the additional spice site! I thoroughly love these types of sites.

Mrs-M
4-6-11, 11:43am
Originally posted by Margene.
IshbelRobertson, What is cottage pie and mange tout? Oh, thank you so much for asking that! :) Seems I'm forever hitting Ishbel up for answers as to certain terms and saying and things, so I'm most happy to see that someone else has taken hold of the reins this time. :laff:

debi
4-6-11, 12:49pm
Tonight will be ham steak browned with brown sugar and pineapple slices in the frying pan; sugar snap peas with roasted potatoes.

larknm
4-6-11, 2:51pm
brown rice and pintos with veg soup poured over and creamed spinich with pecans on the side

Stella
4-6-11, 6:30pm
Chicken and rice casserole and a fruit salad brought over by a friend from church. I seriously love this time off from cooking. I got 3 hours of sleep last night between both boys waking up. I did make a batch of bread pudding today, but that was because I felt like it, not because I had to. It was soooo nice knowing that I didn't have to worry about dinner.

IshbelRobertson
4-6-11, 6:43pm
Cottage pie is minced beef with a thick gravy, cooked with carrots and onions and topped with creamed, mashed potatoes - the beef equivalent of Shepherd's pie (made with minced lamb) - oh and if you add cheese to the potato topping? That's Cumberland pie! Mange tout - small peas in their pods - you eat them all (hence the name!)

IshbelRobertson
4-6-11, 6:44pm
Tonight we had: whole dover sole, with a brown butter sauce, served with samphire, crushed Charlotte potatoes and epinards en branche (leaf spinach!)

Rosemary
4-6-11, 7:21pm
My neighbor brought us a potato & pea curry with rice and naan. It was delicious!

kally
4-6-11, 8:19pm
tiny potatoes that are steamed and then sauteed and some chicken soup.

Tiam
4-6-11, 9:13pm
So, out of curiosity, what does "Chicken and Ham" pie look like? It seems to me like an American Chicken pot pie with the addition of ham.

Stella
4-7-11, 2:02pm
Carnitas tacos using leftover pork from the other night and a cabbage salad with jalepeno lime dressing. I'm almost feeling well enough to start cooking again! I can't wait.

Rosemary
4-7-11, 3:12pm
Tofu-broccoli stir-fry with peanut sauce.