PDA

View Full Version : a little nervous about my talk tommorrow

Zoe Girl
2-3-13, 12:01am
Sooooo, I start too many sentences with the word so btw, I decided that I should have a 10 week series at our church about the 8 fold path as a part of renewing interest in our interfaith meditation service and just a good basic renewal for many people.

The big background is this church is struggling but starting to rebuild after a long time pastor left and then recently passed away. The church was not on as strong a financial footing and there was a theft and an old building that needs lots of work, just many issues. Apparently the Sunday evening service was well liked and attended but not financially feasible in the form it was in. I go to the Christian service but really am Buddhist, I just love the community and feel welcomed.

We were at the point to go to only 2 times a month and then possibly cancel the evening service. Only 2 of us would lead meditation and the other one was pretty burned out. That was when i decided i would do it for 10 weeks if it was something I really got excited about and we could build it up.

Now I am all nervous. I think i can talk for 5-10 minutes, I have great feedback about when I do a guided meditation, and then it will be discussion. The thing I am nervous about is that i do not have any credentials (?), lineage, teacher, or extended retreat experience.Basically I am afraid I will be talking out my a** even if I am clear that I am not a teacherr. There are many good meditations in Denver, I went to a great talk with a nun on Friday. I don't want to compare myself to her in the slightest, or even people who have started leading things but had a teacher to work with them for feedback and guidance. But no one else is going to do this and the minister is okay with me doing it.

wish my luck

iris lily
2-3-13, 12:24am
Inspiration comes when least expected, and from strange places.

The fact that you are taking on the inspirational leadership role is fab! Someone may well take home something important, triggered by what you said. The right message at the right time--let's hope you make a connection with at least one of your listeners tomorrow.

Tradd
2-3-13, 12:29am
Hope it goes well tomorrow, ZG! :)

Xmac
2-3-13, 1:48am
Do you need luck? Really?

People connect with sincerity....your done.

chord_ata
2-7-13, 11:45pm
Buddha started from scratch as well.

Zoe Girl
2-16-13, 11:55am
Thank you all, I know I responded to this thread but it seems that some of the responses by others and myself are missing. Hmm, no bother.

So tomorrow is the 3rd meeting, we actually had about 10 people on superbowl sunday, and 11 last week. There is a homeless gentleman who attended and the student pastor told him he was welcome but to participate (not just sit off to the side with the leftover doughnuts). He was a great participant last week. I do joke however the intern pastor is my 'bouncer', she watches the door and since we feed homeless and hungry people a lot she monitors people. Generally someone comes and wants any food we have left from the morning.

Then I made an amazing connection with some people from Against the Stream/Dharma Punx who meet on Friday nights. I found out they do not all have the training I though they did and so I could teach for them, or one of them could sub for me. It is cool. I went to their meeting last night to hear Amma Thannansanti Bikkhuni and I got shy about announcing our group but I will next time. I no longer feel this intense pressure to make a long retreat work just so I feel qualified to be in front, so I looked at all the retreats I know about and am picking a few to do, trying to stretch them out longer than 2 days but schedules are so hard.

Okay so the Dharma Punx guy asked if it was okay he looked the way he does to come teach at our church, and I had to laugh. We have people straight off the street and people with their heads tattooed, and pretty regular looking people, etc. Oh yeah, he is okay