PDA

View Full Version : February Gratitude

puglogic
2-6-13, 8:54pm
I am grateful for my funny little old dog. Five days ago he was hooked up to an IV, his little body's chemistry all gone awry, really not looking like he'd be around much longer.

Today he's here sleeping, pressed against my ankle as I type. When I was hopeless and self-pitying, he was doing very poorly. When I started working hard on my gratitude practice again, meditating on positive things instead of doom & gloom, it put the fight back in both of us, and now he's stable and looking like his old self. He won't live forever, but he'll live longer than 10 years, it appears. A lesson I shouldn't forget: My attitude affects more than just how MY day goes.

Grateful for so much.

Azure
2-10-13, 7:38pm
I am grateful for my DH who got up at 4:30 am on Friday to snowblow the driveway & clean off his jeep so I could drive safely to work through our little snow storm. I say little because it was nothing compared to the storm on the east coast. He is very considerate!

BarbieGirl
2-10-13, 7:51pm
I'm grateful for my husband. He has been a true love, support and understanding for me during my illness. He doesn't care if the house is a mess because I need to rest. He brings me pepermints (my secret vice) and doesn't mind my bunny hopping around in the living room even though he didn't want any more pets.

He never criticizes when I've been in bed the whole day and still in my pjs when he comes home on my bad days.

True Love!
Barbie

MamaM
2-10-13, 9:06pm
I am grateful for FINALLY opening my eyes to my work situation and being honest with myself. I am grateful for what the future holds- all the possibilities.

SteveinMN
2-11-13, 9:46am
I am grateful for a water-main break. :0!

A large water main broke downtown. By the time we discovered the effects, the water people were advising residents to not drink the water. Fortunately, DW had some bottled water on hand, so we didn't even have to make a trip out of the house. But having to open bottles just to make coffee or brush our teeth and rearranging menus to meals which did not depend on water (soup, etc.) ... well, I was grateful when the water was approved for all uses after about a day-and-a-half, and I was grateful that I have grown accustomed to turning on any tap in the house and knowing that clean, safe water almost always will be there. It's not like that for millions of people in this world.

MelFallen
2-11-13, 10:42am
I have to say I agree with StevieMN here because my good friend had to work but a water main break shut down their building so, we were able to spend the day together! Fun, Fun! I also, am really grateful for my Mom and Dad. They surprised me with a lovely ski trip to Montana in March!!! Honestly, I got a little teary eyed because last year I had planned a trip all on my own but couldn't go because I broke my foot playing basketball at our health club :( I have awesome parents!!!

leslieann
2-11-13, 2:25pm
Early in the morning, the heat comes on in the upstairs, thanks to our automatic timer-thermostat. The heating system is ancient hot-water baseboards, and the little metal flange thingies inside the baseboards make a lovely sound, plink, plink, plink, as the heat comes on. And then there is often a gurgling and bubbling which means that there is air in the system. I suppose we should "fix" those noises but every time I notice them I am grateful for central heating, and for a system that works, and for my DH who believes it is okay to use the heat in the house.

So I am grateful for the little orchestra I hear in the early morning long before the sun comes up.

Pug, I am glad that pup is better, and I loved your observations about your own attitude and the spreading influence of gratitude.

puglogic
2-14-13, 3:36pm
Thanks, leslieann :) I was walking one of our other dogs (the terrifying Gordon) and met a new neighbor who had just lost one of hers to complications from being under anesthesia. Her remaining dog has bladder cancer and will not last long ( a big rowdy girl Lab) . But she is positive, loving, hard-working, and is grateful for every minute she has with her creatures. I was very uplifted.

Yesterday I was just dismally, cripplingly, horribly depressed. Hopeless. And today, I'm not. Grateful for the good days that generally overwhelm the bad ones a hundred to one or more.

JaneV2.0
2-14-13, 5:49pm
I'm grateful for all the loving pet owners like puglogic who make their companion animals' lives the best they can be, and who love unconditionally.

Tussiemussies
2-14-13, 8:56pm
Pug logic, so sorry to hear about what you went through with your beloved dog. I hope he stays healthy for many years. I know how much you love and care for him...christine

Tussiemussies
2-14-13, 8:59pm
I am so thankful for my wonderful husband who is working so hard on the old kitchen to look and be great in our new house in order to make me happy. He says he wants me to be so happy with our final home that he will do everything to make that happen.... It makes me feel so loved and cared about...even though it is material things.

puglogic
2-15-13, 11:21am
Today, it's six degrees outside, but I'm thankful it's supposed to warm up into the sunny 30's today so we can all take a nice walk in the woods on my lunch break.

puglogic
2-17-13, 7:25pm
Doing a lot of hard work in a coaching/counseling program I'm a student of right now. Remembering and processing lots of old hurt (in productive ways, not just whining) and it's exhausting.

But you know what? I'm grateful to be the kind of person that recognizes that old stuff is still influencing the choices she's making today, and the kind of person that tries different things to unravel it and move closer to joy.

Tired, but thankful.

Gardenarian
2-18-13, 5:44pm
I'm grateful for all the trees that are now just coming into bloom and blossom.

puglogic
2-19-13, 1:34pm
I'm grateful for Gardenarian's description of things blooming :D Nothing budging here yet, but our day will come.

I woke up this morning in a great state of mind. Unsure why -- maybe it's the extra exercise, the good night's sleep (thanks valerian!), the fact that I'm finally caught up on work -- but I don't care. I'm treasuring this and very thankful for it.

Tussiemussies
2-19-13, 2:13pm
Am thankful that
My husband is 2/3 of the way through creating our new kitchen. Now he has to spray all the doors and drawers and let them cure for quite awhile. So exciting!

Blackdog Lin
2-19-13, 9:39pm
I don't usually even check this thread, but tonight I felt a thankfulness that made me feel a need to join in with y'all.

A common weekday evening, DH working on a project, I'm on the 'puter. And I get chilled. And so: I am so grateful for hot water. A hot bath is truly a gift of the gods. And if you have a sweet-smelling bubble bath product, so much the better. I am grateful for that. And then I had soft snuggly clothes to put on after. And then I padded down the hall of my house with central heat, and it feels good. And I checked the fridge for leftover possibilites and heated up food, of which there is a lot in this house, and we will eat pretty good leftovers. And I have snuggly houseshoes; and a dog sitting a few feet away who is absolutely adorable, she looks at me with that crooked-head look and I can't tell you how adorable she is.....

.....and it hits me how good my life is. And right now I am entirely thankful for my first-world life.....

(may it lead me to help those around the world without the blessings I enjoy. Amen.)

larknm
2-20-13, 11:05am
I'm grateful that I sometimes have ideas that help me figure things out.

Florence
2-20-13, 11:57am
I'm with Blackdog about the gift of hot water for a bath or shower. Just turn on the faucet and clean, hot water flows out! What a blessing!

puglogic
2-20-13, 6:31pm
From multiple locations in my house!! It's just amazing sometimes. We are incredibly wealthy compared to most of the rest of the world.

Tussiemussies
2-20-13, 6:41pm
Even too having a mattress, pillow and a roof over our heads along with the hot water is something I am thankful for...

Lainey
2-20-13, 10:15pm
Bought a small hot coffee at Burger King on the way to my tax appointment today - was only 27 cents due to a special they're running for 2 weeks. Just put a smile on my face.

also grateful I'm getting a big tax refund!

Fawn
2-21-13, 7:59am
From multiple locations in my house!! It's just amazing sometimes. We are incredibly wealthy compared to most of the rest of the world.

I have to agree with you all. My daily gratitude starts like this:
Thanks for my amazing kids, the food, the job that paid for the food, our comfortable home with heat and running hot and cold water. And indoor toilets.

And most days, there is more stuff to add.

Florence
2-21-13, 4:48pm
I am so grateful for the beauty of nature. In the small things. In the huge things. I am thankful that I have the eyes and ears to take it in and let it feed my soul. For the creatures of the earth that share it with us.

puglogic
2-22-13, 9:42am
I'm in a group that includes a young woman who very clearly hates herself. I am so thankful I outgrew that at 20 or so, and am aware of -- and can react to -- the residual tendencies to go back to self-flagellation from time to time.

Life is good. I am not perfect, but I'm just fine.

SiouzQ.
2-24-13, 11:45am
Grateful that it is a new day and I can choose how I view things; I'm trying for the glass is half-full. Also, extremely grateful for a fairly decent night's sleep, aided by only Sleepy Time Tea and a very low-dose Benadryl. Nicotine patch is firmly adhered to my right bicep and I don't have to be at work until 3pm.

nswef
2-24-13, 3:20pm
I had lunch with my sister today for the first time since before Thanksgiving. It was great. I'm so glad she lives only a short drive away.

puglogic
2-24-13, 7:06pm
Grateful for the many inches of snow we received today. It gave me so much: the landscape gets a much-needed watering, I got 45 minutes of aerobic exercise shoveling, the dogs loved bounding and playing in it and are now very tired and quiet, and it's absolutely beautiful.

JaneV2.0
2-24-13, 9:43pm
I'm grateful, always, to be living in such an endlessly entertaining universe. Lately, it's been marvels in the sky. Today, it was a giant bird that flew back and forth over my house murmuring to itself. Though it looked like a crow on steroids, I'm pretty sure it was a bald eagle--logic and Googled bird calls--but the coloring threw me off. If it was a juvenile, it was sure the darkest one I've ever seen.

I'm also grateful for bob-tailed Manx mix kittens (Snowshoe! Siamese!). Hold me back.

Re Puglogic's point, I'm happy with my own company and easily entertain myself. I can't imagine life any other way.

puglogic
2-26-13, 10:28am
Strangely grateful today for the convergence of three not-so-desirable things: My work is very slow right now, I'm fighting off a cold, and it is snowing again (we received about 14" two days ago)

I woke up very stressed about all three, but settled down to this: I do not feel guilty sitting in an armchair, drinking hot ginger tea, wrapped in a blanket, looking out the window at the flakes falling, falling, falling. Scurrying around getting freaked out about everything won't solve anything. It's okay for me to just be here now, letting myself be quiet inside. Everything will be okay.

SiouzQ.
2-27-13, 7:50pm
I am grateful that the money and time I have spent on guitars and lessons over the years as it is really paying off for me (not monetarily) but with the personal satisfaction of gaining a skill that I always had dreamed of!

I can hear a song on the radio, look for it on YouTube for guidance, fiddle around with it enough and figure out how to play it. The latest song I heard about three days ago, and I have already figured out most of it, using my new electric guitar. I am grateful that I could even buy a new guitar because of where all my years of frugality led me - it gives me hours upon hours of solace, meditation, and satisfaction.

Tussiemussies
2-27-13, 7:55pm
I am grateful that the money and time I have spent on guitars and lessons over the years as it is really paying off for me (not monetarily) but with the personal satisfaction of gaining a skill that I always had dreamed of!

I can hear a song on the radio, look for it on YouTube for guidance, fiddle around with it enough and figure out how to play it. The latest song I heard about three days ago, and I have already figured out most of it, using my new electric guitar. I am grateful that I could even buy a new guitar because of where all my years of frugality led me - it gives me hours upon hours of solace, meditation, and satisfaction.

So glad for you! It's takes good talent in order to hear a song and to be able to play it. Glad it paid off for you and that you are enjoying yourself! :)

Tussiemussies
2-27-13, 7:57pm

Great that your putting some of your important needs before other things....:)