PDA

View Full Version : Simple Living dating website?

Sissy
2-9-13, 8:44pm
Hi, guys! Been a while. It has been a crazy 6 months and I am just getting back into the swing of things. I am looking for a singles site to look for guys that are looking for gals that really are into simple living. I have tried Match.com (disaster, scammers everywhere!) and now I am on ChristianMingle.com. Not ready to dive into anything right now, but am looking for a nice guy that actually understands what SL is!

I see a lot of new "faces" on here, too! :)

Sissy

Kestra
2-9-13, 9:27pm
They started a "Personals" section over at the Mr. Money Mustache forums, though it doesn't look like many people are using it. But you could take a look at the blog/forums there. There're several of us who frequent both places.

Sissy
2-9-13, 10:50pm
thanks Kestra! do you have a link for the website?

Sissy
2-9-13, 11:15pm
Ok, I found it. Am looking it over. Thanks again.

Wildflower
2-10-13, 4:38am
Please be careful with any dating website. My sister has had some really bad experiences with men not being who they say they are.

She also followed all the rules when she met one man in person that she had been talking to for quite awhile online. They met at a public place, a restaurant, coming in different cars...just like this dating website said to be safe she should do. She did not like this man after meeting him in person, he followed her to her car after dinner and she tried to get away from him, but he sexually assaulted her. Please be careful!!

ApatheticNoMore
2-10-13, 10:26am
Please be careful!!

So what's the suggestion instead? Be single? (that works if it makes you happy, but not if you'd rather not) Carry mace? Join a social group is often a thing suggested instead but I don't tend to find many single men in any social groups I join, not that they aren't ok otherwise and all.

JaneV2.0
2-10-13, 12:45pm
You can meet unsavory characters anywhere, including at church. (Wasn't there a recent thread on this kind of thing?) I would have been all over on-line resources in my dating days, as wit and literacy are important to me and maddeningly elusive IRL.

And speaking of hand-to-hand combat brings to mind a date I had with a fellow art student. "No means No" was lost on him. Good workout, though.

Sissy
2-11-13, 7:32am
Thanks for the warnings, ladies! I have been on Mingle.com and ALL I got was scammers! Been on ChristianMingle and my first day a scammer showed up. They seem to follow a pattern and are becoming pretty easy to spot. I have been looking closer to home now and really scrutinizing their profiles and info. Not to say that one might operate a bit differently! Am being careful. But none of them seem to know the meaning of "simple"!

Wildflower, I am sorry that happened to your sister. How awful.

Yep the badies are everywhere! But not all of them.

julia
2-11-13, 1:29pm
The dodgiest guy I ever dated I met at church. I would have married him - but he was already married and in debt and a compulsive liar. A lucky escape indeed. My DH of 11 years I met online.

Float On
2-11-13, 1:51pm
The dodgiest guy I ever dated I met at church. I would have married him - but he was already married and in debt and a compulsive liar. A lucky escape indeed.

Eek! That's horrid.

I've got one friend who is doing a lot of funny Facebook posts about the local men she is meeting on-line dating.
The latest 'reject' was using a photo that was 60 lbs lighter, when he had a full head of hair and was obviously employed at something that required suits and clean haircut. He showed up balding with a beer belly, unkempt dress and dirty nails and had the gall to ask her to turn around so he could see if he approved of her looks. She did turn....but it was only to leave the restaurant.
She said it's been slim pickings for honest people in their 50's/60's.

leslieann
2-11-13, 2:18pm
I don't envy folks who are dating but I do know that my daughter met her husband online....and that was a good match between two introverts who would never have hooked up any other way.

Spartana
2-15-13, 6:25pm
Hi, guys! Been a while. It has been a crazy 6 months and I am just getting back into the swing of things. I am looking for a singles site to look for guys that are looking for gals that really are into simple living. I have tried Match.com (disaster, scammers everywhere!) and now I am on ChristianMingle.com. Not ready to dive into anything right now, but am looking for a nice guy that actually understands what SL is!

I see a lot of new "faces" on here, too! :)

Sissy

I haven't ever online dated yet so can't help you there - although I have heard from friends that eHarmoney and Plenty of Fish are good for people who are looking for serious relationships (I'm currently not looking for anything serious). But I will say that when you talk to a potential guy about simple living you should be very specific about what SL means to you. I have been set up by friends - or met guys elsewhere - who say they are into SLing only to realize that what they mean by SL and what I mean by SL are completely different. On the surface it seems the same - I want to retire early and live minimal so that I can travel. My meaning is a tiny studio apt in Paris where I can walk to the cafe for my morning cafe au lait and chocolate crossiant, walk to all the great museums and cultural activities, and hike and bike around the Europe staying at hostels. He means he wants to live in a tent in the middle of the desert half of the year and on a glacier in Alaska the other half and catch all his own food, make all his own clothes from his catches, and howl at the moon for entertainment. Both simple, minimalist, frugal lives of travel but very very different!

jasuko
2-21-13, 12:29am
In my area, Plenty of Fish is a waste of my time. Male friends have told me it's the biggest "hook-up" dating site of all. I've never heard of Mingle, but have tried many others over several years. Yes, it is important to be careful, but also not to become a recluse! I've met several good men, but not any where we've both been interested. It seems to be more difficult to meet someone when you are older, but you NEVER know what one day will bring. I'm not giving up. :) And yeah, finding a like-minded man I'm attracted to is a challenge...

Maxamillion
2-21-13, 3:29am
I've found some real creepers online, but real-life hasn't offered anything better either. There's craigslist personals but most of those are people looking for--hmm, how to put this delicately?--activities of an adult nature, instead of a relationship. I've tried plentyoffish, okcupid, and yahoo personals (even paid for a month there). I hate being single, but better that than being with someone who's wrong for me.

Spartana
2-21-13, 1:39pm
I love being single - and want to keep it that way right now - but I meet all kinds of guys just by doing activities I'm interested in rather then looking at dating sites or singles groups. I think that if people do the things they love and try to get involved in a variety of activities they enjoy, then that is where you will more likely meet someone who shares your interests. I like meetups myself - as well as places like the Sierra Club, and other outdoor types of clubs/groups. Sure not everyone is single, and there may be more women then men in a group (although I have found this to be just the opposite with many more men then women), but women have brothers, and male friends and co-workers, all of who may be more compatable with you then some random guy you meet online.

Rogar
2-22-13, 4:29pm
You might check out greensingles.com. I've pretty much given up on online dating, but it seemed to have more like minded singles than anything else I've seen. It's basic offering is free.

Sissy
2-23-13, 10:23am
oh, wow, guys! I have been talking to this fellow for 2 weeks now and we will see. At least we are on the same page about simple! I had no idea that the discussion would go this far, lol. I am going to see what happen with this guy and if it works out, GREAT, if not I will try some of the sites you have mentioned.

Being middle aged, introverted and a SL'r probably is a wicked combination, but there has to be people out there somewhere looking..........