PDA

View Full Version : Where to put lots of old herb/spice jars

CathyA
2-16-13, 3:00pm
I've been saving old herb/spice jars, thinking I'd use them someday, but I haven't. (Well, I do reuse some of them, but not all). I have a couple shoeboxes full of matching spice jars (like McCormicks). Part of me wants to just recycle them all, and part of me wants someone to use them. Do you think any place like Goodwill would want these? If not, I'll just take them to the glass/plastic recycling place.
I know "reusing" is really important, but if I think someone will just throw things away after they reuse them, I'd rather just recycle them, so they don't end up in the earth.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

(And please.....no suggestions to make a bird feeder out of them, or put all my old buttons in them. I've already done that!) :)

Rosemary
2-16-13, 3:36pm
Little jars are handy for lots of things.
I use an old plastic spice jar to keep some almonds in my purse. I use small glass ones for homemade salad dressings, and also for holding salad dressing in packed lunches.

..so if you don't have any uses for them, maybe your friends would? I'd ask before recycling.

catherine
2-16-13, 3:41pm
When it comes to stuff like that, I see value in a saving a COUPLE, but not too many.. I kind of get a sense as to when I have too many jars, or plastic bags, or Trader Joe paper bags, and I just recycle them.

The only reason I would reuse a whole bunch of spice jars is if they were all the same and you could refill them to make your spice cabinet look neat and cohesive. I hate it when I get a couple of McCormick's and a couple Trader Joe, and a couple something else. When I redo the kitchen, I'm definitely going to go for a matching jar system of some kind.

Or just a thought--could your DH use them for washers, nails, nuts and bolts, etc. Could you use them for seeds?

Rosemary
2-16-13, 5:11pm
Seeds = great idea!

Bootsie
2-16-13, 5:16pm
I would flip a coin to decide whether to donate them or recycle them. Once you donate them, you do give up control on how they will be used. If it bothers you that someone might eventually throw them in the trash, then recycle them. It's quite possible that someone will love them and have a great use for them, but you won't ever know. It might be easier on your mind simply to recycle them.

I love glass jars, but I have also collected too many and am letting them go, knowing that more will come my way if I should need them later.

fidgiegirl
2-16-13, 5:18pm
I am working on getting over coveting organizational items, but I have been wanting glass spice jars for this reason lately. We can refill our spices very inexpensively from the coop, but the plastic containers take on the smell of prior spices - fine when I want to refill with the same spice, but I don't always.

I also vote recycle. If you really want to see them to go someone, try a free Craigslist ad, but I am highly skeptical that a thrift store would want them.

Tussiemussies
2-16-13, 5:18pm
I would recycle them, if you give them to someone else they may just throw them away in the standard garbage...:)

Mrs-M
2-17-13, 4:18pm
Originally posted by Catherine.
could your DH use them for washers, nails, nuts and bolts, etc.Ditto this!

JaneV2.0
2-17-13, 4:42pm
Freecyclers will take anything! There is someone out there who needs jars for all the spices they buy in baggies--that's why Storables has shelves full of them. If you have plenty of free time, you can soak off the labels and paint the tops black and a thrift store will probably be able to sell them.

jp1
2-18-13, 9:11pm
Or just a thought--could your DH use them for washers, nails, nuts and bolts, etc.

Recently we were watching an episode of Income Property where Scott McGillivray mentioned memories of his grandfather's workbench. Apparently grandpa would take jars like this, drill holes in the lids, screw the lids to the underside of a shelf on the wall, and then keep screws and whatnot in the jars that now hung by the lids under the shelf, contents organized and easily viewable.

BayouGirl
2-18-13, 9:33pm
Some teachers might also be interested in them for storing arts and crafts items or for doing crafts projects with kids. My craft projects as a teacher involved using whatever materials I had the most of. Last summer at our library for our story time craft, we had saved up babyfood jars, painted the lids and then filled them with pretty sand, glitter, small shells, jewels and other interesting items, including a penny from that year and glued them shut. The kids loved them so much that we did them 2 years in a row.

I made on for my grandson that contained alligator teeth among the sand and glitter. Gator teeth are awfully interesting to a little boy (age 3) but as a small item I wanted to keep them from getting lost or swallowed while allowing him to handle it all he wanted. i made him a bigger one with other interesting items and he played with it endlessly, turning it over to rotate the sand and find items.

Mrs-M
2-19-13, 1:58pm
Recently we were watching an episode of Income Property where Scott McGillivray mentioned memories of his grandfather's workbench. Apparently grandpa would take jars like this, drill holes in the lids, screw the lids to the underside of a shelf on the wall, and then keep screws and whatnot in the jars that now hung by the lids under the shelf, contents organized and easily viewable.Yes, I remember such as a kid...

Mrs-M
2-19-13, 1:59pm
Super-cool crafting ideas, BayouGirl!

ApatheticNoMore
2-19-13, 2:29pm
First off I have often bought empty spice containers, because I keep buying small amounts of spices I don't use that much of that don't come in jars. So if I have spice containers now because I bought the whole jar, I always keep them and refill with spices that don't come in jars (usually those spicely organic spices in little boxes - sometimes just bulk spices). Also useful for storing small dried hot peppers (often worth growing even in pots) and any other spices you grow.

I use small glass ones for homemade salad dressings, and also for holding salad dressing in packed lunches.

likewise.

Sagewoman
3-9-13, 10:24pm
I keep my spices in amber glass bottles that once held vitamins. It is important to protect spices from the light. The vitamin bottles look uniform, though different sizes. I wouldn't keep clear glass for that purpose. I made uniform labels for them and they look nice. I grow many of my own spices or get them cheaply from the food coop. Whole Foods has them, too.