PDA

View Full Version : new here

dogmom
2-18-13, 7:00am
Hello everyone,
I am thrilled to have found this site - I decided recently it was time to scale back our lifestyle - partly because DH will be earning less soon and partly because I have been feeling that my possesssions and clutter are becoming burdensome to me. I would like to live more simply and frugally (I can't believe I just said that - my mum was frugal and I really hated living on a shoestring as a child!).

Here are my initial goals:
1. Spend no more than £70/week on groceries for me, DH and my two greyhounds. I know this sounds quite a lot but we have been spending an average of £100/week. Also, I eat a paleo type diet as I've found it helps me greatly with symptoms of multiple sclerosis and it's not cheap. I have done (well-planned) vegetarian diets in the past and my health has taken a nose dive, so unfortunately, meat and fish are rather important. I have started meal planning, batch cooking and shopping at ALDI/LIDL.

2. Track and reduce spending on sundries. In our accounts, we have a 'Miscellaneous' category. The annual total is A LOT! What do I spend it on? I have no idea. Clothes, gifts, yes, but what else? I dunno. Yes, it's me. DH is not a spender. When he was single he used to go to the supermarket and come home empty handed because he couldn't think of what to buy. Now I have a diary and every spend is going to be carefully deliberated (do I really need to buy this) and then recorded.

3. Declutter my house. I have been ill with MS for some years but feeling better now. It's time to get rid of the accumulated junk. I plan to do a few minutes decluttering most days.

I am looking forward to sharing my progress with you and to enjoying hearing about all your various goals and activities.

with all good wishes
Dogmom

Zoebird
2-18-13, 7:08am
Hiya! We are paleo, too, and DH eats for two and DS (4yo) eats like a teenager already. I'm the only one on 'normal' calories. So, we spend $350 NZD per week. So, if you can't cut the budget, don't! Just do your best and don't worry about it. :) Especially since it helps with your MS!

Trimming the budget in other places is the way to go, honestly. :) We are cautious with our "sundries" too. :D

Decluttering is awesome. It is my favorite. :D

Rosemary
2-18-13, 7:20am
Welcome! I too find that untracked dollars can simply vanish... it's a good place to begin when cutting the budget.

cdttmm
2-18-13, 8:44am
Welcome, dogmom! I just returned to tracking my spending and I'm definitely finding it helpful after only 2 weeks. Looking forward to hearing from you as you continue on this journey!

iris lily
2-18-13, 9:03am
dogmom, glad you are here!

from another dogmom (mom to 3 French bulldogs)

Tussiemussies
2-18-13, 12:07pm
Hi dog mom,

Glad to have you aboard. I'm sure you will gain a lot of useful information here that pertains to your goals!! There are a lot of smart and creative people who are also ready to help out if you need any help with anything. I'm also a dog Mom too to our little Nellie, a beautiful Rat Terrier...

Very sorry to hear that you have MS.

Christine

dogmom
2-19-13, 6:22am
Thanks everyone for your welcome and encouragement. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all better.

(Iris Lily, I'm very jealous - i love French bulldogs but they are very, very expensive here in the UK)

Float On
2-19-13, 10:31am
Welcome!!

HomemadeChange
2-19-13, 11:04am
Welcome! After reviewing your goals, you have definitely come to the right place! I am a relatively new member and have already benefited greatly (and hopefully returned the favor a time or two). I also have three dogs-- just loveable muts :)

My husband and I began tracking every dollar spent 8-9 mos ago and have seen HUGE strides in our overall spending and saving. Upfront planning and subsequent tracking has definitely been beneficial for us. Keep us posted on your progress.

We also have decluttered quite a bit and made money doing it.

Again, welcome!!

MamaM
2-19-13, 11:13am
Welcome. :)

Wildflower
2-20-13, 5:24am
Welcome, dogmom! I'm a mama to 3 dogs myself. And living on a strict budget too, along with chronic disease. Sounds like we have alot in common. Looking forward to hearing more from you. :)

Florence
2-20-13, 10:04am
Welcome! You will find a wealth of information and experience here.