PDA

View Full Version : Off, off the grid

Bootsie
2-18-13, 10:06am
Wow. Has anyone heard about the family found living in the extreme wilderness of northern Russia? They originally fled to the wilderness because of religious persecution and stayed for decades, living entirely on what they could grow and gather themselves. It's not a romantic story about living off the grid.

Here's the Smithsonian article (http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/For-40-Years-This-Russian-Family-Was-Cut-Off-From-Human-Contact-Unaware-of-World-War-II-188843001.html) about the fluke discovery of the family.

Tussiemussies
2-18-13, 12:09pm
I heard but not a fact that these people didn't have the knowledge that WW2 had happened...so sad...wonder how they will adjust to normal life now.

fidgiegirl
2-18-13, 9:54pm
Amazing story.

awakenedsoul
2-18-13, 11:54pm
Interesting article. Thanks for the link. It makes me realize how much I take for granted being born in this country.

jp1
2-19-13, 9:46pm
wonder how they will adjust to normal life now.

They didn't. Per the article, three of them died not too long after being discovered, two from kidney disease likely associated with their limited diet and one from pneumonia. The father lived a number of years longer and the last daughter ended up staying there still living completely alone and is apparently still alive after another quarter century.

After reading this story I think I've confirmed my belief that if some sort of armageddon happens that ends modern society as we know it I really hope I don't survive. Their life just sounds incredibly harsh and depressing. I might feel differently if I had children, but as a middle aged childless man I really don't see any point in such a harsh existence.

Tiam
2-19-13, 11:24pm
I did read this. I think it's in the 80's?

MissMandy
2-21-13, 11:11am
Wow. Has anyone heard about the family found living in the extreme wilderness of northern Russia? They originally fled to the wilderness because of religious persecution and stayed for decades, living entirely on what they could grow and gather themselves. It's not a romantic story about living off the grid.

Here's the Smithsonian article (http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/For-40-Years-This-Russian-Family-Was-Cut-Off-From-Human-Contact-Unaware-of-World-War-II-188843001.html) about the fluke discovery of the family.

Wow, thanks for sharing! It really makes you think about the stuff we take for granted here.

miradoblackwarrior
2-21-13, 1:12pm
Y'know, I think living off the grid is hardly the way to armageddon that people say it is. It takes adaptation, to be sure, but look at the growing Amish population. And, for that matter, read your history. People have only had a "grid" for around 100 years. We have grown far too dependent on technology. The older I get, the more of a Luddite I become. Living off the grid, for me, is a recreational imagination. But, I have thought about it, and read about it, and I have come to the conclusion that living "off the grid" is something that can be coped with, just fine. It would take some adaptation, sure, but it would certainly not be the end of the world.

When the snow blows and piles up in doorways, there you can feel how it would be to live off the grid. A bit of preparation, and I don't think anyone would be frightened by the concept.

Just sayin.

Susan

jp1
2-21-13, 10:04pm
I guess for me, the definition of grid goes broader than just wires and advanced technology, but also includes communities of people working together to survive, and some level of technology to make certain tasks much easier. Those things, if missing, would make life crazy hard for the vast majority of people.

So I guess it's not that I think living off grid by itself would be armageddon, but rather that if armageddon happens then the lack of grid, including a stable society of solid communities working together to survive, will make life incredibly difficult for many people. And in that situation those people who lack the ability/knowledge to care for themselves will attempt to take from those people who are able to sustain themselves.

Admittedly living off the grid would be easier in a more hospitable climate than these Russians in the article had, but without a community to share the burdens the way the Amish do, and also without the ability to create even basic stuff like metal pots as was the case with these Russians, it would be quite difficult to do for a long period of time even for the most rugged luddite out there.

Tiam
2-21-13, 10:33pm
Thing is, Amish may not be participating in phone lines and electricity, but they aren't really that far off the grid.