PDA

View Full Version : What do you need to learn how to do?

pinkytoe
2-18-11, 5:24pm
Is there something practical you need to learn but have either been putting off or are ashamed that you don't know how? OK I admit I don't know how to check my tire pressure. I asked dh to help me but he gets so impatient with me that I guess I will look it up on the web and give it a shot. Don't laugh, I also need to learn how to use an ATM machine. I never carry cash so have haven't had the need but no doubt it will come up.

Kestra
2-18-11, 5:34pm
I don't know how to change a tire. But I don't really care to learn. I hate driving and anything to do with cars and live in the city, so I figure I could always call someone if I had to, even if it cost a lot of money.

I don't know how to properly use a knife when eating. (Knife and fork at same time). Again, probably won't learn as I've almost always been a vegetarian and just don't eat things that require heavy duty cutting.

Probably lots of other stuff I don't know, but can't think of anything I want to learn at the moment. Stuff will come to me later I'm sure. Interesting question.

Stella
2-18-11, 8:34pm
Sit still. I am really bad at this. :)

Reyes
2-18-11, 8:45pm
I know how to can fruits and such however I want to learn how to can tomato-based products and soups.

Kathy WI
2-18-11, 9:43pm
I don't drive that much and my husband is almost always the one who puts gas in the car. I probably do it only once or twice a year, and feel like a fool having to read the instructions at the gas pump every time.

I know how to make quilts of my own design, but I don't know how to sew clothes from a pattern. I don't get the directions.

Yppej
2-19-11, 7:58am
Pivot tables in Excel - this came up in a job interview yesterday.

Bastelmutti
2-19-11, 8:22am
Mine are similar. Anything car-related! Tire pressure and windshield wiper fluid included - I think it comes from many years of not driving regularly, but it's silly, of course. Thank goodness that when my car needed a jump recently, I had knights in shining armor there to help me.

There is also some software I need to learn for work, but I've been putting it off. I usually learn software by doing, and that's worked fine up until now, but this stuff I need to sit down & work through. Ugh.

leslieann
2-19-11, 8:37am
Cast off. I am making a scarf for DSD (her birthday is tomorrow). I have just learned to knit (garter stitch only) and if I want to finish this thing for her birthday, I am going to have to learn QUICKLY how to finish it.

Laugh if you must...I learned how to cast on from You Tube so I am assuming that help for the other part will be available there, too.

Reyes
2-19-11, 11:00am
oh, another one. Parallel park. For my 40th birthday the gift I gave myself was to never to to parallel park again. It has been lovely.

maribeth
2-19-11, 11:40am
I bought a serger but have been too chicken to really delve into using it! I have finished some inside seams with it on a dress I made for DD, but that's it.

razz
2-19-11, 2:17pm
I have gone back to taking piano lessons once a month and now I have decided that by next Thursday, I must play from memory only Brahms lullaby in a modified version. It is a struggle as I have not made a memorizing effort like this in a long time.

Maribeth, DH bought me a serger last June and I have been so excited by the lovely finish that I made with it. Sears supplied a one hour lesson on using it when we bought it. The lesson extended into a two hour session as the instructor was a real sweetheart and gave up her lunch to teach me longer as I had so many questions. I walked away and bought her some lunch and delivered it.

peggy
2-19-11, 11:28pm
Build a simple floating wooden dock. I want one, don't want to pay someone else to build it.

Greg44
2-20-11, 1:37am
1. In MSWord - how to fill the line with dots - like in a table on contents.
2. Properly sharpen a kitchen knife - I mean really good (my late FIL always did this for us).
3. Speak Spanish - well the basics like how to find the restroom and that I want no meat in my burrito!
4. Make a great homemade Pizza.
5. How to make my lawn look like the lawns in Sunset Magazine!
6. How to make a great omelett.

Mrs-M
2-20-11, 1:16pm
I can't honestly say that there is anything that I "need to learn how to know", but there are a few things I'd "like to learn to know", like anything car/vehicle related. i.e. Oil changes, tire changes (big one for me), etc. I'd also like to learn how to operate a few hand-held power tools as well. But in my husbands "world", mechanics and "manly things" are for men only!

JaneV2.0
2-20-11, 2:40pm
Dots? Type in three or more asterisks, then hit Enter.

There are probably lists of stuff I need to learn, but I'd like to learn German, more basic metal work (jewelry), and how to cook. Seriously, the only way I can make a roast is in my pressure cooker. I'm way behind, but catching up, thanks to the Food Network.

Tenngal
2-20-11, 11:33pm
simple plumbing. I bought 3 faucets to replace the ones in the bath and kitchen. Seems to me that I should be able to get this done. Co-worker says the hardest part is just trying to postion arms and hands to get to the connections. Hope he is right because I plan on tackling this sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Bootsie
2-21-11, 12:16am

Hey, that works! I wasn't the original person who wanted to know this, but I'm glad to know it! What else do you know?!

Greg44
2-21-11, 12:37am

Hmm this is not working...or I am doing it wrong. This is how I used it - I am making a price list - say like this:

'07 Yamaha V-Star 650cc, low miles, windshield........................................ ..........................$ 5899.00

I want to be able to line them all up.

Bootsie
2-21-11, 12:45am
Hmm this is not working...or I am doing it wrong. This is how I used it - I am making a price list - say like this:

'07 Yamaha V-Star 650cc, low miles, windshield........................................ ..........................$ 5899.00

I want to be able to line them all up.

Greg,
Jane's method worked for me in Word. But how I used to do what you want to do is create a table with two columns. In the left column you would type your description and then enter the dots until the end of the column. In the right column you put the dollar amount. You can adjust the widths of the columns so the right column is narrow. Maybe that helps?

Kathy WI
2-21-11, 9:38am
The way to make "leader dots" is by setting a right tab at the place you want the prices to line up on the right. You can choose a "leader" for your tab when you're setting it. Look in the Tabs menu. If you try to do it by typing in dots and making it look like it's lined up on the screen, it probably won't line up on a print-out and it looks amateurish.

You have a choice of tabs: left, center, or right. Choose the type of tab, then click on the ruler where you want the tab to be. Then double click on the tab, and it will give you your choice of leaders (dots, dashes, whatever). Then when you type, you'd type "Yamaha V-star whatever", then hit Tab, then type the price. All the prices will be lined up on the right. Sometimes price lists like this have leader dots that all end in the same place, then there's a little bit of space between the end of the leader dots and the price, and the prices are all lined up on the right with a right tab. To do that, put your leader dot tab an inch (or whatever) to the left of the end of the line, then make another right tab without any leader at the end of the line for the prices.

I used to be a typesetter for a print shop and used MSWord for Mac. It might be a little different if you have Windows but I think Word is pretty much the same for either one.

Sad Eyed Lady
2-21-11, 10:32am
Make good soup. In winter soup always sounds so good, but when I make it, (no matter what kind), it just lacks..............something. I don't know. Some people seem to just throw things together and come out with good soup, but I don't have that talent.

Sad Eyed Lady
2-21-11, 10:41am
On a different plane - I need to learn how to BE. So caught up in looking forward that I am restless in the moment I am in. I have read the books, for example, "Be Here Now", have tried practicing mindfulness, and for awhile I was better at being more aware of the moment I was in, but it is not the norm with me. I catch myself when my mind is racing forward and try to come back to whatever is going on, so I guess that is a start. I am not talking of major events, like next year I do so and so, but just "okay, I need to do this, and then go here, and then if I get to this place by x time then I can do this....................... and on and on! Several years ago I stopped wearing a watch because I was too aware of the time (again, I can do this for 30 minutes, then I can go to this place by 10 o'clock, and if I leave there by noon, I can................). I am hoping by this August to leave work, and I don't want to spend my days parceling them out in increments! As the saying goes, I need to learn to "Don't just do something! Sit there!". I might add, there is no one else that puts this time/pressure trip on me - just me!

JaneV2.0
2-21-11, 11:32am
Hey, that works! I wasn't the original person who wanted to know this, but I'm glad to know it! What else do you know?!

Very little that's useful. I can wire a T1.5...(insert unimpressed smiley here)

Reyes
2-21-11, 11:36am
1. In MSWord - how to fill the line with dots - like in a table on contents.

Ditto!

Greg44
2-21-11, 1:02pm
Make good soup. In winter soup always sounds so good, but when I make it, (no matter what kind), it just lacks..............something. I don't know.

Ditto -- I like a hearty veg soup, but it just never tastes like I want it.

razz
2-21-11, 1:32pm
My most successful hearty veg soup is the result of onions, garlic and all the veggies which we like, diced and sauteed in a little butter, add a large can of tomatoes which are diced, one can of water, one package of dry onion soup, a can of beans of your choice. Let simmer till soft and you are ready to eat.
Everyone enjoys this.

jennipurrr
2-21-11, 2:34pm
I really need to learn to cut with a knife properly in the kitchen. I know my technique is poor...fine chopping is super hard for me. No one ever showed me how to do it right and DH is just as clueless. I keep saying I am going to look up how to do it right. I think I am holding the knife/food wrong or something.

IshbelRobertson
2-21-11, 5:05pm
How to access the internet via my kindle 3G - so that I can dowload free books from Gutenberg!
I am a tekkie-challenged person, and this seem absolutely beyond my capabilities!

Anne Lee
2-21-11, 6:13pm
The only veggie soup that I've made that rocked my knickers was one with three cloves of garlic. Minced.

Otherwise, I think the secret is lots of salt.

JaneV2.0
2-21-11, 6:18pm
I really need to learn to cut with a knife properly in the kitchen. I know my technique is poor...fine chopping is super hard for me. No one ever showed me how to do it right and DH is just as clueless. I keep saying I am going to look up how to do it right. I think I am holding the knife/food wrong or something.

Check YouTube using "knife skills" as your search term. The Food Network shows lots of footage of professionals demonstrating proper knife cuts on their various cooking shows, as well.

Bronxboy
2-21-11, 7:43pm
Gardening and improving my hands-on car repair skills--mostly brakes.

Crystal
2-21-11, 10:17pm
I need to learn to be a better gardener. So far I'm not impressed with myself at all. :(

Crystal
2-21-11, 10:18pm
Make good soup. In winter soup always sounds so good, but when I make it, (no matter what kind), it just lacks..............something. I don't know. Some people seem to just throw things together and come out with good soup, but I don't have that talent.

100 Monastery Soups is a great book!

Anne Lee
2-21-11, 10:21pm
I need to learn to be a better gardener. So far I'm not impressed with myself at all. :(

Me neither. I really just want to be a smokin' tomato grower. The rest of the annuals are just eh to me. I'm hoping our vermicompost will do the deal this summer.

jennipurrr
2-22-11, 11:00am
Check YouTube using "knife skills" as your search term. The Food Network shows lots of footage of professionals demonstrating proper knife cuts on their various cooking shows, as well.

Thanks for the tip! I just learned how to cut an onion...boy was I doing it completely wrong!

Spartana
2-22-11, 1:50pm
Anything computer-ie. I've been out of the workforce for over 10 years and don't keep computer skills up at all. Finally bought a laptop and can basicly turn it on, get on line and surf the web and that's about it. So now I am actually trying to figure out how to do "stuff" with it - like create files. Once I learn that, then I'll buy a scanner to download (upload??) pictures and then figure out how to post them online. Next will be to buy, and figure out how to use, a digital camera. I am woefully behind the times but for the most part am OK with that.

treehugger
2-22-11, 2:08pm
This is pretty embarrassing to admit, but I need to learn how to start plants (specifically tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.) from seed. In past years, I have always bought my veggies in six packs or 4-inch containers to start my annual garden, but that is a rediculous waste of money for my current budget, plus I know I can get a lot better variety starting from seed.

So, of course this sounds easy, and I'm sure it is easy for greenthumbs. But I am no greenthumb, so I am nervous about trying it. Does anyone have "seed starting 101" book or website recommendations for the gardening impared?

Crystal
2-22-11, 2:09pm
Too bad we don't all live near each other and could exchange teaching each other things we want to know, or at least providing a leg up over a difficult spot once on awhile.

RosieTR
2-22-11, 11:24pm
This is pretty embarrassing to admit, but I need to learn how to start plants (specifically tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.) from seed. In past years, I have always bought my veggies in six packs or 4-inch containers to start my annual garden, but that is a rediculous waste of money for my current budget, plus I know I can get a lot better variety starting from seed.

So, of course this sounds easy, and I'm sure it is easy for greenthumbs. But I am no greenthumb, so I am nervous about trying it. Does anyone have "seed starting 101" book or website recommendations for the gardening impared?

You basically need small containers + seed starting mix. The ideal is something sterile so your plants can start without fungus or weeds growing in it. If you have plenty of seed, just put several in each container and some potting soil and some will grow. The main points to be picky on are temperature and moisture. If it dries out before germinating the seeds will die, and if it's too cold or hot the seeds won't sprout or will take *forever*. Room temp is mostly OK though if you're really frugal and keep your place at 55F in winter it may not be ideal for tomatoes/basil/cukes/etc. You want to take your seed start or potting soil and get it damp as a damp sponge, then plant the seed however deep the package recommends (usually about 1/4" but some things are deeper or more shallow). Get a spray bottle and spritz water on top, then cover with plastic wrap or a reusable plastic cover. If you're using washed yogurt containers, the cover would be great. Check each day and spritz a little water if it's not a damp sponge feel. When plants start to emerge (usually a week for most plants but can be 4 days to 2 weeks depending on what you're growing) take off the covers and check the moisture level twice daily. It's easy enough to do when you brush your teeth, for example. Spritz water whenever a little dry until the first true leaves* emerge then water as needed to keep it that damp sponge feel. Plant according to directions or when there are at least a few true leaves.

*plants put out cotyledons (sp?) or pre-leaves; grasses and corn put out one making them monocots and most other veggies like tomatoes have two. They look pretty different from the true leaves and are the first leaf-looking thing on the little stalk

All that said, I can get them started but keeping them going in Phoenix has so far baffled me. So that's one thing I need to learn.
I struggle even to thread a needle in the sewing machine, much less actually sew anything so there's another. Esp since DH can totally out-sew me!:|(

treehugger
2-23-11, 12:11pm
You basically need small containers + seed starting mix...(

Thank you for taking the time to type that out for me, Rosie! I really appreciate it. I will print this out and follow step-by-step. I need to start gathering containers and get a spray bottle, then go pick out some tomato seeds! We saved seeds from our Armenian cucumbers 2 seasons ago, but I don't know if they will sprout. Can't hurt to try, anyway.

I can't use a sewing machine, either (but then, I don't have one). I can do all the basic mending by hand (including "surgery" on dog toys), so I just fall back on that.

Thanks, again, really!

winterberry
2-24-11, 12:57am
On a different plane - I need to learn how to BE.

Oh, me too. Always somewhere else in my head. Always thinking too much. I love Leonard Cohen, too. You know his song about losing himself in the dust in a ray of sunlight? That's being.

Too bad we don't all live near each other and could exchange teaching each other things we want to know, or at least providing a leg up over a difficult spot once on awhile.

Yes, but that's what we do here, isn't it? But I know what you mean....

On a concrete level, I want to learn how to make a compost bin.

treehugger
2-24-11, 11:54am
On a concrete level, I want to learn how to make a compost bin.

This is the one my husband built and it's great - inexpensive and easy. http://www.sunset.com/garden/backyard-projects/build-perfect-compost-bin-00400000014936/

winterberry
2-24-11, 12:29pm
This is the one my husband built and it's great - inexpensive and easy. http://www.sunset.com/garden/backyard-projects/build-perfect-compost-bin-00400000014936/

Thanks, treehugger. I printed out the instructions.

libby
2-24-11, 3:18pm
I need to learn how or develop the strength to do pushups on the floor. Right now I do them on the wall or the stabilizer ball.

treehugger
2-24-11, 5:20pm
I need to learn how or develop the strength to do pushups on the floor. Right now I do them on the wall or the stabilizer ball.

I went for years thinking I would never be able to do "real" pushups because I have tendonitis in my wrists and hand (which makes them weak), but about 2.5 years ago I started taking Pilates classes (which, among other things, focus on building core strength) and I made the completely unexpected discovery that pushups have more to do with core strength than arm strength.

I still have weak wrists (always will have) but because I have developed my core (always fairly neglected before), I can now do proper pushups (on my toes).

So, I would say, look into taking Pilates classes or get some Pilates videos out of the library and focus on your core strength. The pushups will follow!

libby
2-24-11, 6:25pm
Treehugger that is exactly what I am working on. I have a bad back and not great core strength so I know that does not help at all in doing pushups.

pony mom
3-3-11, 11:55pm
I should learn how to swim. I've never been comfortable in a pool unless I can touch the bottom; forget the ocean!! I just wade in to my knees. Swimming would help with my fear of drowning (IMO, the scariest kind of death for me) and I might possibly enjoy being in water. Hmm, then I'd have to get over my fear of being seen in a bathing suit.

I'm quite proud of myself for being able to change a flat tire. I had no choice when it happened and I was lucky that my car was in our parking lot so I took out my owner's manual and followed the directions. It wasn't difficult, but physically it was a bit tricky. The hardest part was prying off the cap on the hubcap. And getting the tire off (had to lower the car a bit to lift the tire off the lug thingies). I'm confident that I could do it again if I had to.

iris lily
3-4-11, 9:16am
We have old software at work, Outlook 2000, Word 2000, etc. so I can't go to the latest book about these Microsoft programs. I needed to remove a password from files when I had to take over some locked files from an employee. My god I love Google, several sets of instructions came right up when I Googled. "Word 2000 passwords." The first time I Googled it I got a set of instructions for the current Word product that lead me nowhere, but when I remembered that we have ancient software and I needed to be specific as to year, that did the trick.

Next I've got something to set up in Outlook that should be simple but so far has eluded me.

rodeosweetheart
3-5-11, 1:35pm
What a cool thread. I need to learn to do a Powerpoint because I have a presentation that requires one.

I need to learn how to disengage from my brother when he baits me and tries to make me feel dumb, small, and unloved. And for goodness sake, I need to hurry up--this has been going on now for 50 years, LOL.

Mighty Frugal
3-11-11, 10:05pm
I need to learn how to iron. I always end up just ironing in MORE wrinkles...am super jealous of people walking around with crisp ironed shirts-how do they do it??

Mrs-M
3-11-11, 10:20pm
Mighty Frugal. I wish I could invite you over to my house to give you a crash course on ironing. That doesn't go to say that I think of myself as being the most savvy domestic queen behind an iron, just that once you square off a few basic rules as to where to start (first), how to pull and stretch (as you are ironing), and how to gently move your iron over the fabric, it becomes so easy. Going too fast is one problem I often see people making, that, and starting off with fabric not neatly smoothed out over the ironing surface of the board. One of my favourite sayings is- "practice makes perfect"! I know you can do it MF! :)

treehugger
4-15-11, 3:05pm
You basically need small containers + seed starting mix. The ideal is something sterile so your plants can start without fungus or weeds growing in it. If you have plenty of seed, just put several in each container and some potting soil and some will grow. (

OK, I have to admit that my seed starting has failed. My lettuce has sprouted but there is no action from anything else. Up rereading your instructions, I believe that keeping things evenly moist is where I screwed up. Remember to water is hard for me, for some reason. I think they temperatures have been OK (the seeds had to be started outside since there's no where inside that gets enough light), so it must be the water issue. Darn it.

So, when is it too late to start again. I mean, people have their tomato seedlings in the ground already, and I don't even have seedlings yet.

Brown thumb Kara

happystuff
4-15-11, 6:57pm
I need (and want) to learn how to speak Korean. In approx. 9 1/2 years, there will be a ceremony in Korea where my son's ashes will be spread and I want to be able to understand the ceremony. I have not started yet because I am so afraid of failing.

cdttmm
4-16-11, 8:01am
I need (and want) to learn how to speak Korean.

I want to learn Korean, too. I am studying Tae Kwon Do (Korean martial art) and I want to be able to speak enough Korean when I earn my black belt to be able to teach my students using the Korean names of the techniques. I need to get to work on this - I'm hoping to earn my black belt in late 2012!