PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in the Las Vegas area know of grocery stores that have bulk bins?

ljevtich
2-20-11, 12:06pm
I have searched high and low for a grocery store that has the same amount of bulk bins as Winco and have not found one yet. I know of Sunflower Market and while they are pretty good, they just do not have the selection like Winco. But there is no way that I can get to a Winco - the closest one is 242 miles one way! So the amount in diesel would be too high.

So can anyone give me recent prices from Winco, so that I can see if it is better to buy online, or suck it up and ask my Brother in law to buy the stuff for us and ship it to us.

Basically I am looking for these items for prices:

Oat Bran
Flax Meal
Wheat Bran or Germ
Dried Dates
Honey
Dried Strawberries
Dried Berries
Dried Apricots
Dried Peaches/Apples
Dried Blueberries
Dried Cranberries
Raisins
Dried Mango & Papaya
Beans (Kidney/Black)
Pinto Beans
Lentils Yellow or Green
Lima/Soybeans
Rice (brown or black)
Split Peas
Elbow pasta
Dried Milk
Dark Chocolate
Trail Mix
Hot Cocoa Mix
Peanut Butter
Ramen Noodles
Bulk Spices
Real Bacon Bits
Soy Nuts
Almonds
Walnuts
Peanuts
Shredded Coconut

I know it is a large order, but I love the Winco stores. My DH has promised me that we will go to one in June, when we visit my DH's brother in Ogden, UT so I guess I really only need food for three months. I just start getting antsy when we are starting to get low and we only have another three weeks here in Lake Mead NRA. Then we head back up to Utah's Canyonlands NP, where it is 75 miles one way to a grocery store.

Anyway, thanks for any help you might have. I have also check out a few online places especially bulkfoods.com which seems to have a good supply of food...

Also, I appreciate Loosechickens help on the previous matter, but I had the feeling that there really is nothing that compares to Winco, so might as well go for the source.
Fun trying to figure out prices, Sigh. :(

loosechickens
2-20-11, 3:17pm
you might check these folks out: http://rainbowsendlv.info/

I've never been there, but I've heard folks in Las Vegas mention it as a natural foods store, and most of them have bulk bins....no personal experience with this one, though.

ljevtich
2-20-11, 4:32pm
Thanks Loosechickens - they seem to have a cafe mostly but I will check them out on our shopping trip this Wednesday. I do like going to Sunflower Market and each Wednesday they have double sales ads. But it does not have to be a natural foods place, yet it does seem as though just the natural food places have bins.