PDA

View Full Version : Focus on the positive

MamaM
3-4-13, 10:26am
To keep myself motivated and in my quest for true happiness, I am using good memories, of times when I felt pure joy, to remind me of how far I have come and what I truly love in life. I know you can't go back but you can enjoy the memory.

One such memory is:
I grew up in CT and my favorite things to do were driving in the country, just because, meandoring between farms and vegetable stands and dipping a toe in the cold lake water in the summer time. By enough watermelon and corn to feed 20 people and eating it for a week. :)

Driving down to the coastline. CT has a beautiful coastline that runs the whole state. My favorite areas were Old Saybrook. Such beauty. You could climb out on the jetty and watch the ships go by. Or I would hike through one of the many parks along the shoreline. Always peaceful and happy.

Just trying to be happy..that's my new goal.

catherine
3-4-13, 10:40am
Some of my favorite memories are CT-based, too! I grew up in Milford, and I spent the summers at my great-aunt's cottage in Madison--we sometimes went to Old Saybrook for lunch! Also to the Griswold Inn in Essex. I definitely go to happy places in my head when I revisit those times. They are the foundation of simple living, because my life was based on a mutual relationship with my great-aunt, who needed a companion, and me, who had the blessings every day of learning from her, working on my many projects (art, sewing, writing, even one summer I taught myself Spanish), and overall just enjoying the beauty of the surroundings. I didn't get "paid" much but if you could quantify quality of life during those times, I got a million dollars a summer.

In terms of trying to be happy, MamaM, can I suggest Thich Nhat Hanh? His books are all about happiness being right here, right now. Try Peace Is Every Step, or Miracle of Mindfulness.

MamaM
3-4-13, 10:48am
Thank you Catherine!!! I worked 3 jobs just to live in a little loft space down by the shore when I was 18. I loved it, not only for the scenery and location, but the thrift stores there were awesome. I furnished my entire loft from there. Everything, minus the couch/sleeper and my table with 2 chairs, all fit into my car. This makes me happy and I WILL return to that life someday.

I will look for the books. Thank you. :)

citrine
3-4-13, 10:52am
Great goal MamaM :) May I also suggest another book...Mastery of Love by Don Miguel Ruiz...amazing little book. I would buy it because there are always new things to find every time you read it!

MamaM
3-4-13, 10:55am
Thanks Citrine!!!

Float On
3-4-13, 10:57am
I had a beautiful summer in CT too. Loved it, great memories.

Some times I have to be very careful about past memories of fun life not making me depressed about current life situations. I then take time to write a little thankful list about current life as well.

MamaM
3-4-13, 11:01am
Yes, Float on, I get that.

Right now, part of this is I am trying to figure out what was working them. It seems to swirl around a simpler way of life, less things, getting out and enjoying nature and people and not worrying, so reducing stress.

I am grateful for where I am right now, all the experiences have created this life, so I know I can create a happy, beautiful life.

Float On
3-4-13, 11:21am
I have to keep re-writing my current thankful list because the 'what I hads' and 'what I wants' keep coming to my mind. I'm in such a hurry to get on with it and I have to wait at least 2.5 years (get the kids thru high school) and I just know that DH (even though he has currently promised we can make a move at that time) will throw up some roadblocks to the plan.