PDA

View Full Version : The books Karen and With love from Karen

Tiam
3-5-13, 1:37am
Anyone ever read them? They were favorites when I was a young adult. I think a cynical eye was less enamored with them as I got older. They were a very positive influence on my early adulthood. I've always wondered why Karen hasn't been more famous as a person with Cerebral Palsy??

BayouGirl
3-5-13, 2:25am
I remember reading them but it was quite long ago. I looked her up on wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Killilea ) and it says she is now in her 70's and guards her privacy and doesn't do interviews. I suspect that it is her reluctance to be a public figure is why she isn't more of one.

iris lily
3-5-13, 9:31am
Anyone ever read them? They were favorites when I was a young adult. I think a cynical eye was less enamored with them as I got older. They were a very positive influence on my early adulthood. I've always wondered why Karen hasn't been more famous as a person with Cerebral Palsy??

Oh I remember that book! It was big, the first one.

rodeosweetheart
3-5-13, 9:35am
Oh I remember that book! It was big, the first one.

I remember reading the first one when I was 12. For some reason, what really stuck with me was the uncle who was in love with the woman and was waiting around for the annullment from the Catholic church!

Tussiemussies
3-5-13, 2:49pm
Never heard of these books, it's nice for young girls to have something wholesome to read. I liked the Nancy Drew Series.:)

leslieann
3-5-13, 2:56pm
I read them, too, probably multiple times but didn't recollect at all until I saw this thread.

Azure
3-6-13, 1:28pm
I LOVED those books. I still have copies of them but haven't read them in a while.

Those books and The Family Nobody Wanted were huge favorites for me.

mnmlz
3-6-13, 4:19pm
I read Karen and The Family Nobody Wanted as well. Great childhood memories! My junior high school homemaking teacher had known the family nobody wanted.

Tiam
3-28-13, 12:37am
Neither ever became a film, though they seem to have what's needed for the victorious up from hardship/overcoming obstacle theme. Perhaps the same desire to not want to lose family privacy kept them from ever selling the rights to these books.