PDA

View Full Version : What to make with leftover white rice?

frugal-one
1-1-11, 12:54pm
I made a wonderful stir fry but have 2-3 cups of rice leftover. Not sure what would be the easiest and best use of it? Help!:confused:

kevinw1
1-1-11, 12:58pm
Make a rice crust for a quiche or pie of some kind.

Amaranth
1-1-11, 1:02pm
Stir fried rice :)
Raisin rice pudding
Stir into soup a few minutes before serving
Something in flavored white sauce over rice
Bean or meat in a sauce over rice

Gina
1-1-11, 1:07pm
Add spaghetti sauce and a few cooked green peas for risi e bisi. Sprinkle with parmesan.

kib
1-1-11, 1:16pm
This (http://chinesefood.about.com/od/ricefried/r/basicfriedrice.htm) is my favorite fried rice recipe, it's a lot like what you'd get in a chinese restaurant. It's veggie but I usually add some diced (cooked) chicken or pork to make a meal of it. ETA: It actually works better with cold leftover rice, gets sort of mushy if you use freshly cooked. How convenient!

NancyAnne
1-1-11, 1:39pm
Add it to soup.

Bootsie
1-1-11, 2:42pm
Saute some onions and add some greens (spinach, collard green, etc). Stir into the rice. Add some black beans if you like. Stir in a couple of raw eggs. Add whatever cheese you have. Put into a shallow baking dish and bake it for awhile. Easy, yum.

razz
1-1-11, 2:59pm
Stuffed peppers are a nice change.

mara61
1-1-11, 3:50pm
I use mine in burritos, stir fry, quiche, rice balls and I freeze it to.

Tracy

24prins
1-1-11, 4:34pm
You can heat it up in a small pot with chicken broth (enough to keep it from sticking as it heats, not so much that it turns into soup) and leftover or fresh veggie of your choice.

peggy
1-1-11, 6:19pm
Yes, a casserole is great. I learned this with my gluten free sister. Use it just as you would use noodles with the sauce, veg's and meat and cheese. Bake as you would a noodle casserole. OH, cream-of soups have gluten, but the white spaghetti sauces like alfredo and cheese sauces don't . Go figure!

Bastelmutti
1-1-11, 7:29pm
Since I almost always keep kimchi in the house, I make kimchi fried rice - heat butter in a pan, add kimchi, fry a bit, then add rice. Top with a fried egg! Mmmmm

Terri
1-2-11, 6:53am
I second the fried rice idea - actually that's what I had for breakfast this morning with some leftover (frozen) turkey and veggies. This will sound odd, but for the sauce all I use is a little ketchup, chili sauce, and soy sauce. It's really good!

Merski
1-2-11, 8:35am
I'd just freeze it until you need cooked rice for something....

libby
1-2-11, 10:48am
Rice pudding would be my choice.

rvk62
1-2-11, 1:30pm
One of my favorite childhood breakfast foods (which I still enjoy as an adult): Mix rice with milk in saucepan. Add sugar to taste. Warm til just boiling, stir. Add cinnamon and enjoy. Yummy!

frugal-one
1-3-11, 6:47pm
Wow... great ideas! I would never thought of freezing rice. I will be trying fried rice and pudding and for breakfast! THANKS so much for the ideas!

Merski
1-4-11, 9:48am
We always freeze extra rice when we've made too much. It's great to have in a pinch...we'll pull it out of the freezer to put chili over it or some soup or even as a carb side...