PDA

View Full Version : Spring Scrimp and Save Challenge

Kat
3-6-13, 2:49pm
Wasn't sure if this belonged here or in Personal Finance, but since it is a challenge, I've decided to post it here. Mods, please feel free to move if needed. :)

So...as I mentioned in another thread, DH and I are headed for some pretty lean times. My income has grown smaller and smaller over the last two years; I am now making about a fourth of what I was when DD was born. I only have time to finish teaching one more class before my (unpaid) maternity leave starts, so I only have three more paychecks until the fall. In addition to our regular monthly expenses, we will have a ton of medical bills coming in over the next several months. Ugh.

Anyway, all of this got me thinking that I would feel better if I had just a little extra savings in place. I was wondering if anyone wanted to join in a spring savings challenge. The goal amount can be big or small and for any purpose. I am thinking maybe $500 or so and know that I will do better if I have to remain accountable to someone. :)

MamaM
3-6-13, 3:50pm
I will join. I would like to put at least $100 a way from now until July. I am still searching for a job as is hubby, so not much coming in other than hubby's small disability. I still want to save smething. So that makes is $500 for me as well. :)

Kat
3-7-13, 2:01pm
Sweet! I am confident we can do this, MamaM! :-)

Today I received an insurance refund check for $107.10. I did not know this was coming, so it was a nice surprise! I will use that to start my "extra cushion" fund.

$107.10/$500 saved, $392.90 left to go :)

Kat
3-11-13, 4:32pm
We ended up with a surplus of $40.94 this week. Not sure how, exactly, but I put it in my "Extra Cushion" fund.

Total: $148.04/$500

Almost 30% there! Only $351.96 to go! :)

early morning
3-13-13, 8:32pm
Kat, that's impressive! I'm in. I want to save 1K between now and the July GIRLS trip. I am sure that DD and I will spend more than that, we'll be gone for 9 days, but will split expenses 3 ways except food, which we will all pay our own. I just got a refund of $15 from the doctor, so that's my start.

Tradd
3-13-13, 8:42pm
I'm in. I'll say $500 as well.

Kat
3-27-13, 3:14pm
Well, I had $18 leftover from budgeted funds and $85.58 as a refund show up in my account (I had to dispute some charges to get it, too, so I am relieved it went through!). Then DH and I used $70 in Walmart cards to buy groceries and put $70 of our grocery cash in our cushion, so...

New total: 321.62

I just found out that my contract will be up a month earlier than expected, so I am not sure I will reach my $500 goal or not. But it doesn't hurt to try! :-)

How are the rest of you coming along?

Fawn
3-28-13, 7:48am
Wow, Kat! I am really impressed with how well you are doing with this challenge.

early morning
4-24-13, 10:33pm
Update - I started w/$15. I have two checks for mileage reimbursement, totaling 73.56. I cashed in credit card points for 60. and DD just paid me back $438 she owed, for a total of 586.56! Over halfway to goal! The last half will be harder, since DD is now paid in full; no more unexpected re-payments, lol.