PDA

View Full Version : home maintenance - ouch!

pinkytoe
2-21-11, 10:49am
As younger people, we did everything ourselves and must have saved a ton of money over the years. Now in our mid-50s, we just don't seem to have the time or energy for many home maintenance chores. Our priority has been working and saving money and not taking care of the house like we used to. I have been getting bids to paint the outside of the house and am still blown away by how much this is going to cost. I did the suggested thing and got three bids by recommended contractors and the average cost will be $4000. It's funny though that a few years ago before the downturn, we couldn't find any interested contractors. Now they are practically beating down the door for work.

razz
2-21-11, 11:43am
Someone online here or rather the previous manisfestation quoted a budget that suggested about $4500 per year for home maintenance and I am finding that it is a very good guide.

Each year we are spending about that amount. We built our 1400 sq ft brick ranch 20 years ago and the bigger maintenance bills are now coming due. By taking one project per year, we have replaced our roof, most windows, garage door, carpet to hardwood flooring in LR and hallway, kitchen counter. It has worked out to about $4500/year paying someone to do the work. Neither DH mor I have the strength or knowhow to do most of these projects in a timely fashion. In our younger years we tackled everything without a moment's hesitation and restored some interesting situations.

We do know others who have done these projects themselves and saved a lot of money but the results have been iffy in some of the cases. Evereyhting must look professional as the reality is - we will be selling this property sometime within the next 10 years.

We still have to do the kitchen flooring, replace the balance of the carpet in the bedrooms, build up the driveway and improve the front verandah and back entrances by adding railing and improved steps for those who need assistance in accessing our house. It is a safety issue that will benefit us as well in the years ahead in the latter cases.

Check out the paints that they will be using and compare the quality as there is a huge difference it seems from some reports that I am receiving.

The landscaping is in good shape so once these last projects are complete, we should be good for a few years again before the cycle is repeated.

sweetana3
2-21-11, 12:05pm
That is about what it cost us. But it was a good job with caulking. Neighbor needed the money and he was a fanatic about doing a good job.

I agree that in our earlier years, we did all the work. In fact, 10 years ago, I painted all the rooms when we moved in. Now, I just dont want to get on a ladder.

redfox
2-21-11, 1:56pm
That is about what it cost us. But it was a good job with caulking. Neighbor needed the money and he was a fanatic about doing a good job.

I agree that in our earlier years, we did all the work. In fact, 10 years ago, I painted all the rooms when we moved in. Now, I just dont want to get on a ladder.

Me too! Time for a more robust home repair savings account...

CathyA
2-21-11, 2:15pm
I'm afraid we're not very good at keeping on top of things with the outside of the house. Dang I wish we had brick and not wood.
Our lane is almost 1/4 mile long, and can cost several thousand dollars just to have it graded and more stone added. It has huge potholes in it. I think I'll just put up signs along the way "caution.......sink holes".
Seems like just taking care of the property outside uses up our time, energy and money., not even taking the house into consideration.
We need new carpeting, windows, paint, etc.,.......but I don't see that in our budget anytime soon......especially with 2 kids in college.
Sorry to vent........but home-ownership isn't cheap or easy. (We also have a water pump that goes out every few years and a septic tank that needs drained every few years. I could go on and on, but I'll spare you.

pinkytoe
2-21-11, 2:32pm
That $4500 number is good to know. We just haven't done anything major in a while so this caught me off guard. I heard an ER doctor say recently that he sees a high percentage of middle aged men who have fallen off ladders so I think there must be a message there. I just don't want these repairs to "get away from us" as we age and it would be great to have it ready to sell if/when that day comes.

Bronxboy
2-22-11, 2:31pm
That would match the $400 a month for maintenance I've been estimating in recent times. That would include a furnace, a kitchen, and a roof since we moved in in 2001.

A driveway is next. We could use new windows, but it is not critical.

bae
2-22-11, 3:02pm
I figured on $5000 a year when I moved to my current location, with a newish house, and so far that's been pretty much in the ballpark. Some years it is $0, some years it's a $30,000 roof.