PDA

View Full Version : Apartment living for the single parent

MamaM
3-8-13, 9:42am
I went and had dessert with a friend from my son's school. She is recently divorced with 1 boy. She is living in a 1 bedroom apartment because that is all she can afford. I was really amazed at how she made her little apartment function. The bedroom is very small, so she gave it to her son. A little bed which she put a "tent" over for fun, this locker for his books, legos on top http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80100190/#/80100190 (which he and my son happily played for hours. She had a small shelving unit in the closet, with storage for the vacuum and her son's sports equipment on the other.

She sleeps in the living room. She bought 2 fold out bed chairs from Ikea as well. She said she loves it. A little table in between with a lamp and across the way, a square table with 2 high back armless chairs are utilized as her dining area. She has no tv but utilizes a projector on the wall above the dining area for movies, tv shows, etc.

An area rug, a few well placed pics, some curtains and that is all she owns. She stores her wardrobe in the hall closet and extra items, such as camping equipment, above the washer/dryer in the kitchen. It has it's own door/nook. She utilizes half the kitchen to store her items like her fire box, printe paper, her son's art supplies, and then of course, cat food, food, dishes, etc..but she really does not have much.

I was shocked and amazed at the same time. I absolutely loved the whole thing. She kept the color schemed to red, turquoise and a neutral. It's so pretty, restful, simple and chic.

I knew her when she was married. She had a 2400 square foot home with all the trimmings. It was a beautiful home. When she got divorced, she needed a fresh start for her and her son. She now spends her time outside a lot. The local park is not far away. She says her son is actually thriving more because she spends way more time with him and he can now have a friend over and there is room (He was not allowed, by her ex, even in a 2400 square foot home???)

She says she feels less stress because she is not responsible for a lot of stuff. I like that idea. :)

redfox
3-8-13, 11:12am
Sweet. Good on her for making a peaceful life.

Mrs-M
3-8-13, 12:26pm
Thanks for sharing the story, MamaM.

Breaks my heart to know so many children are raised without two solid figures, however, I'm pleasantly soothed by the seemingly unaffected ways of the mother... how she has adopted a new life for herself and her son, and how content she seems to be.

MamaM
3-8-13, 12:50pm
Mrs-M. I know a lot of kids like this. I think in the long run it's better. A lot of the single parents tell me the other parent is completley disfunctional and affecting the kiddos in a bad way. Her son is really lovely and she says he is sleeping better at night. She also attributes this to her pure happiness.

awakenedsoul
3-8-13, 1:43pm
So true. It sounds like she's done a wonderful job. I used to have a chair from Cost Plus that folded out into a really comfortable futon. I loved it! I'm glad her quality of life is so much better. I feel the same way about stuff. I just like to have what I need.

Mrs-M
3-8-13, 1:58pm
MamaM. I agree, a happy and stable (and safe) environment is always better for everyone involved, but it still tugs at my heartstrings.

Spartana
3-8-13, 3:07pm
When my Dad left my Mom and us three kids we went to live with my Grandma in a one bedroom 500 sf apartment. Mom and us 3 kids sleep in the tiny bedroom and Grandma got the tiny livingroom. We only did that for about a year or less until my Mom was able to earn enough money to rent a bigger place but I actually loved living like that. Very cozy. My Mom didn't drive then (European and din't lean until she was in her mid-40's) so we walked, biked or used public transportation. It was great and I think living like that as a kid made me more appreciative of the things I have as an adult as well as my Mom's situation.I think you friend and her son will find their experiences valuable too and cherish those memories of "simple living" when needed.

Zoebird
3-9-13, 2:35am
i always have a giggle when people describe my house as tiny. It's so palatial to us. I mean, it's smaller than what we had in the US, but it's so awesome. :)

I grant that we are three instead of 5, and two more people would be much "cozier!" :)

I love it. Honestly. :D It's very comfortable. Even with a husband in the house with us. ;)

Gregg
3-9-13, 9:29am
I say good for her MamaM.

ashleenshannon
3-12-13, 12:38am
always be happy with boy,,, you made your flats very beautiful.