PDA

View Full Version : cleaning lots of canola oil out of cotton clothes

larknm
3-10-13, 2:08pm
One of the Ayurvedic things I do is grease my whole body with canola oil a few times a week to protect my skin. I have to leave it on at least 20 minutes, and not be cold, so during that time I wear a heavy cotton robe that looks like it was designed for people doing eastern exercise things--it has a Buddhist symbol on it. Anyway, over time it gets pretty oily.

Can Mrs. M or other friends tell me how to get that oil out without messing up my washing machine? I washed it once in there, with my usual soap nuts and a lot of vinegar and it helped, but I'm afraid to keep doing that to my washing machine.

Any tips, proven or unproven, would help.

Tussiemussies
3-10-13, 3:24pm
I would soak it in water with blue dawn dishwashing detergent. It really cuts oil, remember how they used it on the animals during the oil spill...:)

Tussiemussies
3-10-13, 3:26pm
PS. I have read some negative things about canola oil, can you use extra virgin olive oil or sesame seed oil? Just FYI. You can look on the Internet and see what you find! :)

Mrs-M
3-10-13, 8:08pm
Larknm. One thing I've learned Re: greasy/oily clothing... once fabric has absorbed oil/grease, fabric tends to retain a permanent state of oil/greasy feeling, and nothing I have tried has been successful in reversing. The only product I can think of that might possibly work (to some degree), TSP.

There's another product called Lestoil, but after reading reviews Re:, it sounds to me like the product has an acute odour, which according to users, is difficult to launder out.

As far as worrying about laundering such items in your washing machine, I wouldn't give it so much as a second thought.

P.S. You made my day thinking about me Re:! Thank you!

P.S. Do love Tussiemussies idea, too! Apparently Dawn, works really well Re: oily/greasy clothing.

P.S. There's an old trick that utilizes talcum powder/corn starch to help remove oily/greasy residue. Sprinkle talcum/starch/baby powder over inside of robe, allow to sit overnight, then launder as usual. Hottest water available (is what I would recommend), and using Tussie's idea, a mixture of Dawn, and standard household laundry detergent. Something like a 50/50 mix.

herbgeek
3-10-13, 8:48pm
I'm surprised that avuryeda would recommend canola oil. I've only ever seen sesame oil or olive oil recommended and maybe once I saw grapeseed oil mentioned. Canola oil also tends to be mostly GMO. I personally would not want my largest organ absorbing potential toxins from that- GMO crops tend to be grown with more pesticides.

Miss Cellane
3-11-13, 8:24am
I agree with Mrs. M about the corn starch. Dawn is also good.

Another good grease remover is Simple Green. Just test it in an out of the way place to make sure it doesn't strip the color from the clothing first, then soak the garment in a solution of Simple Green and water, then wash.

If the robe is really soaked with oil, you'll probably have to do a couple of treatments of whatever you decide to use.

Mrs-M
3-11-13, 10:32am
Miss Cellane. By chance, have you tried the corn starch method? If so, please post about. There isn't much in the way of oil/grease staining in our house, so I've never been able to put to the test the old powder/starch/talcum method, but would love to hear from anyone who has. Such a neat-O trick!

larknm
3-18-13, 11:02am
I did the things you all suggested this weekend, and am now sitting I my robe that's like it never had oil on it before--including I don't know how I got side-tracked to canola oil, but am now back to sesame. Thanks all!

Mrs-M
3-19-13, 2:33pm
Total awesomeness, Larknm!!! Do the dance! http://www.4smileys.com/smileys/dance-smileys/dancing-smiley04.gif