PDA

View Full Version : Guacacmole turning brown

winterberry
2-21-11, 4:42pm
I made my first guacamole ever a week or two ago and it was very good but it turned brown the second day. I know this is just oxidation and my husband says it doesn't hurt us, but it isn't appetizing. Is there a way to prevent this? Should I just make smaller amounts (I used two avocacos) and just eat it all the first day?

CathyA
2-21-11, 4:46pm
Yep, just oxidation, but you're right......its not very appetizing! Even when I add a fair amount of lemon or lime juice it still can turn, so I'd say always make it and eat it quickly! It can also get a little watery when it sits around very long.

Bootsie
2-21-11, 5:23pm
Yes, more lemon or lime juice helps. I also have a jar of Vitamin C powder that I use if I think something is going to sit for awhile. And yes, making an amount to eat in one sitting works best.

terrica
2-21-11, 5:23pm
Keep the avocado pits and add them back into the bowl guacamole. I haven't tried this trick overnight but it usually will keep the guacamole green for a few hours.

Rosemary
2-21-11, 5:25pm
It's best to just make what you'll eat in one day. You can keep 1/2 avocado in a container in the fridge pretty well until the next day. I don't leave the pit in it, but I turn the cut side to the bottom of the container so that very little air gets to it, cover, and refrigerate.

Tiam
2-21-11, 5:40pm
To prevent oxidation yes the citric acid in lemons or limes help, but to store it, put cling wrap on the container and press it down so that you are pressing it against the guacamole itself. So that way there is no free air touching it. Push it right down on it flat and then refrigerate. I haven't had luck with using the pits themselves, but that's just me. And I can taste the difference in oxidated guacamole and not. It's yuk.

WorldFoodie
2-21-11, 10:12pm
Just call me lazy or energy efficent, but I cut mine in half, remove the seed, and put the pulp into a zip lock style baggie. Next I add seasonings and lemon juice then close and hand smash to the texture I want. If I am getting company and want it "pretty" I clip the corner and pipe it onto nachos otherwise I just toss in the seed, squeeze out the air and put it into the fridge. This allows me to just eat as desired for a few days. One caveat, when I add tomotoes, it does get watery rather quickly.
WorldFoodie

winterberry
2-22-11, 12:55am
Thanks, everyone. I bought one avocado today, so I'm going to halve my recipe. I like the cling wrap suggestion, and I do have to try just smashing it in a zip lock bag. No food processor to wash! I suppose I can wash and reuse the bag, too.

redfox
2-22-11, 1:45am
Wow, we've never had guac last more than one HOUR!

puglogic
2-23-11, 10:04pm
Not even an hour here :( Really the fruit of the gods. Good luck, winterberry!

Gina
2-23-11, 10:35pm
To prevent oxidation yes the citric acid in lemons or limes help, but to store it, put cling wrap on the container and press it down so that you are pressing it against the guacamole itself. So that way there is no free air touching it. Push it right down on it flat and then refrigerate. I haven't had luck with using the pits themselves, but that's just me. And I can taste the difference in oxidated guacamole and not. It's yuk.
Yes, spot on. I generally put lime juice in guac for flavor, but what really stops the oxidation is the pressing down of plastic wrap right against it so that it forms a skin-like, air-excluding covering. I also have never had luck with putting the pits into it, but I've read that numerous times over the years.

I don't use baggies but rather mash with a fork in ceramic or metal bowls, and use a separate piece of saran wrap for the cover. Food processors make guac too homogenized for my tastes - unless you have a lot to make and time is an issue. 'Lumpy' gives it character. :)

That said, I usually try to just make the amount that will be eaten soon because it tastes better fresh. Avos store very well whole or in halves in the fridge - assuming they go in when they aren't too ripe. Nothing will save those.

This year was a great year for avocados in my neck of SoCal. It was easy to find really, really nice ones at yard sales or people selling from card tables in front of their homes for 50 cents each. I also saw many advertised on Craig's list for that price.

winterberry
2-23-11, 11:47pm
I'm definitely going to try lumpy! Thanks.

Tiam
2-24-11, 12:04am
Oh yes, Lumpy is best. Guacomole is best with minimal processing. Lime, chiles, salt, garlic, yum.

Gina
2-24-11, 12:18pm
Simple quac is best, but I"ll often add more ingredients to extend it esp if there is limited avo. And my recipe is rarely the same. Here is some of what I'll put into it: lime, chiles, onion/scallions, garlic, fresh cilantro, cumin, oregano, cayenne (for heat), chopped fresh tomato, and served with fresh corn chips.

Sigh... too bad the local season is over.