PDA

View Full Version : Birdfeeders and Cats

winterberry
2-21-11, 4:47pm
Not sure which forum to put this under....

My mother wants a birdfeeder but she's afraid her cat will kill the birds.

Is there any way cats and birdfeeders could be compatible?

kally
2-21-11, 5:03pm
we have cats and we have a birdfeeder. the birdfeeder hangs sort of in a carport from a beam near the top. The cats can watch the birds,but they can't reach them. Make sure there are no bushes near the feeder where the cat can hide.

janharker
2-21-11, 7:25pm
Spray the area around the feeder with deer repellent, or sprinkle chili powder. The cat will learn.

KayLR
2-21-11, 8:23pm
Even though the feeder is up high, many birds are ground feeders who will feed from the seed dropped down/spilled. So...the best place to place a feeder is in a wide open area where they can see the cat creeping up and get a head start. And like kally said, have bushes nearby where they can seek shelter quickly.

redfox
2-21-11, 8:54pm
Our solution is to have totally indoor cats. Obviously not practical in this situation, but I always like to mention it. One of the main reasons we raise our cats indoors is to protect the bird population.

winterberry
2-22-11, 1:05am
Well, my mother's cat is already an outdoor cat and has been known to bring a live bird into the house, which my brother rescued and took outdoors. It flew away -- one lucky bird. And they live in the woods, so no open space, really. Maybe my mother will just have to get some binoculars and enjoy the birds in their natural habitat. Janharker, I don't know what's in deer repellant, but wouldn't the chili powder bother the birds, too?

CathyA
2-22-11, 7:53am
I think there will always be a risk to the birds, unfortunately.
You might try a feeder on a tall pole and put a big disk under it to catch the seeds that drop (lots of birds feed on the ground). You can find these disks at a bird store.

peggy
2-22-11, 9:19am
I wouldn't worry about it. The bird feeder is on a pole, right? Well, birds have been dealing with cats, and other predators, for a long time. We've always had bird feeders and mostly cats. Sure, they get one occasionally, but that's life. The birds soon learn to be wary, but they still come to the feeder.
We had an issue with one cat in particular who was quite a hunter, and apparently had discovered a rabbits nest. Three days in a row he brought home baby rabbits, 1 killed, and the other two we rescued and released. Our solution? Put a bell on the cat. No more baby rabbits. Try putting a bell on your cat.

winterberry
2-22-11, 12:42pm
Try putting a bell on your cat.

I like this idea!

KayLR
2-22-11, 1:23pm
I strongly but respectfully disagree with Peggy; I keep my cat indoors for this reason as well.
Millions of birds (who already have a hard time surviving what humans put them through) from many species are killed every year by cats.

http://www.abcbirds.org/abcprograms/policy/cats/index.html

A bell might help some.

CathyA
2-22-11, 2:15pm
Oh yes........the bell is a great idea! Our dog has 2 dog tags on her collar, which make some noise. Its great, 'cause for the most part, we always know where she's at. Plus, they make noise as she runs outside. We have a fenced in yard, but I still have to clap my hands together loudly or pound on the door before I let her out, though. she did catch a squirrel once and it was so sad. :(

And never hang a feeder from a tree, and if you put it on a pole, make sure it isn't near any branches. Before our cat became an indoor cat, it was a constant problem with the birds. It was a relief to finally make him an indoor cat (even though he scratched all my furniture and ruined the drapes.)

kally
2-22-11, 3:34pm
I have never found a bell to help. Cats are expert hunters and by the time they are into their sprint and the bell rings it is often too late. But that is just my experience.

Tweety
2-22-11, 3:49pm
Chili powder doesn't hurt birds. They sell birdseed laced with chili to discourage squirrels and the birds eat it up just fine.

janharker
2-22-11, 7:42pm
Evidently birds don't have taste buds like we'd expect. Chili powder is just dust to them. Check out deer repellent at your local gardening place. Or blend until smooth some milk, garlic, raw egg, black pepper, and chili powder or hot sauce. Don't cook it; let it go rancid. Spray it on once a week and after rain. It'll keep all sorts of critters away.

winterberry
2-22-11, 10:51pm
Then again, sometimes birds get cats. One of my mother's cats disappeared one night and we've always thought it was an owl that got her.

peggy
2-23-11, 9:08am
Then again, sometimes birds get cats. One of my mother's cats disappeared one night and we've always thought it was an owl that got her.

What goes around comes around. :0!

puglogic
2-23-11, 9:57am
We lose cats in my neighborhood to mountain lions, coyotes, and owls. I don't feed birds with feeders (don't approve of luring them in close just so I can see them....and so neighborhood predators can pick them off) I watch them in their natural habitat instead. But a bell does seem like a good idea.