PDA

View Full Version : Very nice items to knit or crochet with free patterns by Lionbrand Yarn

Tussiemussies
3-22-13, 7:55pm
Love some of the sweaters and if you scroll down they talk about a book that uses a new crochet technique that looks like knitting:

http://cache.lionbrand.com/Newsletters/55937.html?utm_source=20130322_March22&utm_medium=Emails&utm_campaign=Weeklynewsletter&utm_content=

happystuff
3-22-13, 9:03pm
It's called Knooking! I actually have several knook hooks, but - sadly - haven't had/made the time to perfect the technique... yet. LOL. What I have been able to do, I've really enjoyed! Love the idea of downsizing my needles to ones that will allow me both crochet and knit(-like!) crafting.

Tussiemussies
3-22-13, 9:23pm
That is so great happy stuff that you have been able to try it out. I really liked the way it looks. I haven' knitted it chrocheted in a long time but I get thevLion Brand yarn email every week( not that I am a rep. for them). But I love to look at the things they have made. What is knooking like? :)

awakenedsoul
3-23-13, 12:04am
I took a class and learned Tunisian crochet. I like it, but I still love classic knitting. All three of them are enjoyable. I might check out that book. I think the honeycomb stitch would make a nice sweater. You can also learn it on Youtube.

happystuff
3-23-13, 7:54am
What is knooking like? :)

I have been crocheting since I was 12 years old (several decades - LOL), so I will admit to having a pretty good ability at it. I enjoy knitting and love the look of knit items, it is always a bit slow for me and I get bored with a knit project before I can finish it. Knooking is actually knitting with a crochet hook and string.... the string being that second needle holding the stitches while you work. The technique is actually quite ingenious. To the best of my research, it all started in Japan, so really has been around for a while.

As for the actually knooking... I'm still at the stage where I need to work on my own technique of hold the string, manuvering the hook and working the yarn. Like regular knitting where there are different techniques to make the same stitch (i.e. regular knitting versus continental knitting, etc), there are also different techniques to make the same stitch in knooking. Not a big difference really, but it becomes one of personal comfort and technique. I'm still at that stage. There are more and more websites/blogs/etc out there with folks doing more and more with knooking. I'm looking forward to progressing to the stage of being able to combine both knit and crochet stitches in the same piece!

On a side note, it's interesting that this came up in this thread at this time, as I am waiting for the delivery of two new knook hooks! I've ordered a beginner set for children which has both J and K size hooks... big enough for me to really start concentrating on technique, etc. Hopefully they will come today!