PDA

View Full Version : The Dreaded Day Of Reckoning...

SiouzQ.
4-3-13, 9:18am
has arrived, and the God Of All Car Mechanics has spoken: it is time to get a new ride.Too many extensive repairs are needed on my 1997 Honda Civic with 208, 912.3 miles and it is time to let her retire with her dignity intact. She has been a great car for the last nine years and has many awesome road trips out west on her resume. Too many of her main parts are just too worn to warrant them getting repaired: clutch is going, master cylinder is leaking, brake lines are rusting out, a CV joint is going bad, and on and on...the harsh Michigan winters and the use of road salt have all added to her gradual demise. I paid $5000 cash for her on Oct.1, 2004 and got 103,000 or so of my own miles out of her...

Oh lordy, do I HATE car shopping! I'll most likely go for another used Honda, and pay cash for it, as I HATE having loans because I HATE being in debt. Thank god for my frugal ways and that I CAN pay cash, within reason. I just pray she gets me to South Bend, ID and back next week for a work trip to help open a new Whole Foods. Wish me luck!

Float On
4-3-13, 10:16am
We were talking again last night about how much we miss our '97 F150 with nearly 320,000 miles. It would still be going if it hadn't wrecked (we don't have road salt down here much to deal with). We're still looking to replace that truck and haven't found the perfect deal yet and its been over 6 mts. I really need a truck to carry the kayaks. Good luck on your car search. I see some great prices on used Hondas - hope yours comes soon.

oldhat
4-3-13, 2:21pm
Condolences. Other than a Honda, you might want to look for a used Toyota Corolla. I love my 2004 Corolla, which I bought new and which has just over 90K miles. I expect to get the same kind of mileage you got from your Honda, which means I may never have to buy another car again! If for any reason I decided to sell it, whoever bought it would be getting one great little used car.

SiouzQ.
4-3-13, 6:40pm
Gulp, I'm doing it! I found a really nice 2003 Honda Accord EX with only 85,000 or so some miles on it. It is in pristine condition, the Car Fax reports are excellent, the dealer changed the timing belt, water pump, brakes, put new tires on plus some other stuff. It is black and has a tan leather interior and its clean, clean clean! The trunk is huge, there is a 6 disc CD player, heated seats and adjustable lumbar support. It is luxurious compared to the beaters I usually drive into the ground!
The price was knocked down from what they had listed on the car window, which was $10, 109. It is now $9615.00. I am getting $500 from the trade-in, then then adding the taxes and fees and all that other stuff it will be $9941.74 Another gulp, as I haven't had a car loan for years and years! That is the only way to do it; I am so sick of buying cars for several thousand dollars and then having to get work done on them right away. I've decided in my old age that I deserve a car that is functioning perfectly right out of the gate. A little luxury doesn't hurt either, as it was only $400 more than the other more economy model I was looking at.!

I'm going to have to get a loan from my credit union though - I plan to put about $4000 or maybe a little more down. My monthly payment has to be as low as possible. And of course my insurance is going to go up quite a bit because I will have to have collision on it.

The cool thing is is I didn't have a panic attack arranging all this like I would have in the past. I decided to take the emotion out of it and concentrate on the fact that I am paying for a commodity that at this point in my life is an essential need. I cannot at this time and in the place I live go car-free; it just isn't possible at this juncture with work and other stuff that is going on.

I will be getting it on Friday provided the loan goes through. It shouldn't be a problem because I have excellent credit.

sweetana3
4-3-13, 6:50pm
We love our Accord. It gets over 30 MPG and is so comfortable to drive local and very long distance. I just did a 300 mile one day round trip with a friend and she went home and told her SO to get an Accord when he replaces his car.

CathyA
4-3-13, 7:05pm
Wow........that sounds like a really good deal Siouz! Hondas have a very long lifespan. Would you consider getting an extended warranty on it?
Enjoy your new car!

awakenedsoul
4-3-13, 9:18pm
Congratulations SiouzQ.! That's great. I love my 2004 Kia Rio, too. It has 128,000 miles on it. I bought it used at Enterprise for $6,000 in 2005. It had 45,000 miles on it then. I love how the insurance and registration drop down as the car gets older. Now that I'm only driving around 1,500 miles a year, it should last me a long long time!

oldhat
4-4-13, 8:43am
Good deal. A 2003 Accord should serve you for many years to come.

SteveinMN
4-4-13, 9:50am
Good deal. A 2003 Accord should serve you for many years to come.
Wish ours had. But Honda wouldn't have the reputation they do if they all acted like ours. Many happy miles with yours, SQ!

SiouzQ.
4-5-13, 2:05pm
The deal is done, and I am now the proud owner of "Black Betty", a 2003 Honda Accord EX! The payments will be $151.94 per month, which includes a 3 year warranty on all of the basic parts.

So without further ado, I am going to go out driving and take advantage of this absolutely beautiful day here in Michigan!

CathyA
4-5-13, 2:41pm
Have fun!!

JaneV2.0
4-5-13, 4:36pm
May you and Betty have a long and happy partnership!

SteveinMN
4-5-13, 5:12pm
Many happy miles, SQ!