PDA

View Full Version : On Waffle Irons

fidgiegirl
4-6-13, 1:26pm
Another electric el-cheapo has bit the dust. This time it is because the waffles stick so horribly every time that they are ruined. This is despite greasing AND a supposed non-stick coating (which I think is gross, anyway).

I am thinking about a stovetop cast iron model.

Does anyone have one? Does it work ok? Anything else we should be thinking about?

When we got sick of buying electric panini/Foreman grill type appliances and bought a cast iron grill pan with panini press, we've been very happy and have had no reason to need to get yet another - and another - and another . . .

Rosemary
4-6-13, 2:32pm
In this area I've sometimes seen old waffle irons with stainless steel grids at thrift stores and yard sales. My parents still have the one that belonged to my grandparents, cloth electrical cord and all. Might be something to keep an eye out for...

Tussiemussies
4-6-13, 3:09pm
The waffle iron my Mom had before non-stick coating looked like it was stainless steel. I remember when she would make us waffles we would know they were done when the steam stopped coming out of the appliance. The only thing is that it was really hard to clean. Although today the have that new Dawn dishwashing detergent that dislodges food in five minutes instead of soaking it overnight. We used that and it works fantastic. The only thing is to use gloves when washing the items, the skin on my hands was peeling off.

SteveinMN
4-6-13, 6:25pm
No experience with waffle irons since I was a kid, but I was walking down one of the frozen-food aisles at a local supermarket (Rainbow) and was so struck by how many varieties of frozen waffles there are out there. All kinds of shapes, sizes, ingredients,... Then I wondered if it was even possible to buy new waffle irons anymore. A quick Web search confirms it can be done.

Interesting timing.

early morning
4-7-13, 11:42am
fidgiegirl, for several years I used one of these http://img0.etsystatic.com/015/0/7217306/il_570xN.421674108_fh8e.jpg and it worked fine, but it was too small to keep up with breakfast for 4. If you get one, it needs to be well seasoned, like any other cast iron, because cleaning it can be a bear. The iron just sets on the ring, but the two sides don't come clear apart, or mine didn't. I replaced it with another oldie - a very heavy electric model that made 4 large waffles. The waffle grids came out so you could use it for a sandwich grill - you could open it flat and grill on the top and bottom at once. It was marvelous - I used it for 20 years and I tried like heck to get it fixed when it died, but it was going to cost too much. I bought a similar, but smaller one and it's going strong. The key to waffles is a HEAVY grill so heat is evenly distributed, well seasoned so they don't stick, with a functioning thermostat so you can make them as soft or as crunchy as you like. Steve, the frozen things I've had were too awful for words, lol. When the kids were small, we froze our own toaster waffles. Not quite like fresh, but far better than store-bought. At least in my opinion! :D

domestic goddess
4-7-13, 11:58am
For years I had a non-electric waffle iron that just sat on the stove burner and made great waffles, but it is long gone now. I bought an electric one, thinking others in the house might use it (what was I thinking?!). I keep thinking that I am going to make and freeze some waffles so the kids can just toast them when they want them. As Early Morning said, not quite like fresh made, but better than store bought, and I have control over the ingredients. Think I'll do that today, since my plans have hit the dumpster for today.

SteveinMN
4-7-13, 3:15pm
Steve, the frozen things I've had were too awful for words, lol. When the kids were small, we froze our own toaster waffles. Not quite like fresh, but far better than store-bought.
We don't eat waffles in our house, so I probably would not know decent waffles from awful ones. I was just struck at the sight of maybe 30 linear feet of upright freezer space devoted to a convenience food. Obviously people are buying them. They probably don't know a good waffle, either.

Blackdog Lin
4-8-13, 8:47am
I have no recommendations. We are still using a circa 1990 electric Toastmaster-brand Belgium waffler (that's what it says it is) that I bought new at the local hardware store back then. It's still going strong and works very well for our making of waffles about once a month. I LOVES me some buckwheat waffles!

Kat
4-8-13, 9:28am
I bought a Waring Pro Double Belgian waffle maker with my birthday money this year, and I LOVE it! You can make two huge waffles at a time, and I have never had one stick. It also times everything for you and allows you to adjust the settings so you get the level of done-ness you want. It was on the pricey side (I think maybe $70-$80?), but I am not sorry. It works like a dream, and clean up is a snap! We are SERIOUS waffle people, though. We love waffles and eat them several times a month. If you only like waffles every great once in awhile, then the model I bought is probably a bit much. The only downside is that it is a bit big. I just leave mine on the counter, though, since we use it so often.

treehugger
4-8-13, 12:52pm
We make waffles only once every couple of months here, and our current favorite is sourdough waffles. OMG, so delicious! And a far cry from the chemical-tasting Bisquick ones I was raised on (that I loved back then). A waffle maker was our first jointly-owned appliance, so we have had the same one since 1993. It's a Sunbeam, non-Belgian type and it still works fine.

Melted butter and real maple syrup are required toppings in our house.

Kara

Tussiemussies
4-8-13, 5:11pm
I find that the Aunt Jemina mix makes the greatest waffles and pancakes. I have tried recipes where you beat the egg whites and fold them into the batter for lightness, but nothing has been the tried and true.

Treehugger, my Mom used to make Bisquick pancakes and waffles and they felt like a lead ball in my stomach! LOL. :0!