PDA

View Full Version : what encourages a creative burst

Zoe Girl
4-7-13, 4:47pm
From other sections of the forum you can probably tell I have had a lot of stress going on. That and some exhausting weeks at work creating new programs have me pretty tired. However I am having one of my creative bursts. I have seen this often when I am under some stress and then I get up on a Saturday on fire for a creative project (this weekend I am adding a HubPages article complete with photos).

I have seen that I get more creative immediately after stress and I have also seen this with my monthly cycle, the period time is introspective and creative. What have others seen that spike creativity.

(PS now my challenge is to keep up with it all, I am using a fair amount at work so I am glad to know it didn't get used up).

razz
4-7-13, 5:21pm
Sometimes the routine rut is what kicks in the creative to give me a break from routine. I have also become energized and creative when I am really perturbed at something or someone.

JaneV2.0
4-7-13, 6:07pm
Sometimes the routine rut is what kicks in the creative to give me a break from routine. I have also become energized and creative when I am really perturbed at something or someone.

Yes, adrenalin is very motivating. http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/clapping.gif

catherine
4-7-13, 6:15pm
Yes, adrenalin is very motivating. http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/clapping.gif

I agree with this, but I would add that walks with my dog is definitely secret sauce for creative ideas.

Not sure what hormones have to do with it. I was biologically prolific when having and rearing my 4 kids; I definitely am creatively prolific now, and hormones are happily not part of the picture.

Rosemary
4-7-13, 6:19pm
Taking a long hot shower. The water blocks out all other noise and I can really think uninterrupted.
Being bored and having to think of something to do. This is what gets DD going. Corollary, not allowing screen time to fill up the day so that occupying oneself requires more than simply turning on some electronics.
A problem to solve.

domestic goddess
4-7-13, 7:05pm
I find that I often have a "creative burst" when I am really tired from work, or from certain projects at home. I think my brain and psyche just need to move in a different channel, and I find that often helps me solve problems at work. Guess it is the change in perspective that does it.Last night we had a storm with hail, and that noise was most welcome, as it blocked out everything else.

pinkytoe
4-8-13, 10:31am
Two things for me - an extra cup of coffee or complete immersion in my current passion, gardening.

SteveinMN
4-8-13, 3:58pm
I've never been able to schedule or encourage creativity. For me, it happens in its own good time. When a deadline requires some creativity, I make my odds more favorable by finding something relatively uncomplicated to do -- take a long walk (I'm a fan of Thich Nhat Hanh's "walking meditation"), listen to a favorite music album, or stare into a bonfire or such for a while. It seems to occupy my mind enough to not let thoughts wander in from every direction and yet there's not so much going on that my mind can't percolate on the solution I'm seeking.

HumboldtGurl
4-8-13, 4:40pm
Honestly I do think I have to schedule it in or else I'll never find the time to stretch my boundaries when it comes to my writing or jewelry making. Prioritizing my biggest projects (like taxes this week!) so I can "clear my desk" and some caffeine jolts help too!

Gardenarian
4-8-13, 4:51pm
I also find I have to schedule in time to write. It helps to have a project planned and ready to go.

Tussiemussies
4-8-13, 5:06pm
I have found when I feel safe mentally and physically with my conditions, I feel more creative. It reminds me of Maslow's hierarchy of needs to self-actualize. If there is no security that has to be met first before a person can move on. There have been times when I did not feel mentally safe and I lost all feelings of creativity...

:). Christine