PDA

View Full Version : April Decluttering!

fidgiegirl
4-14-13, 7:40pm
Oh my gosh, it's the 14th and no monthly decluttering thread yet?! Wow!

We have quite a bit going out to a garage sale someone is having to raise money for her DS's medical bills. DH will be taking the items to her at work throughout this week.

Tussiemussies
4-14-13, 8:08pm
Fidgiegirl, that is really nice that you are going to help out that family...christine

Float On
4-15-13, 9:22am
We must have spring fever! I know I've been out in the garden and yard and haven't added to my 'declutter bag' in my bedroom since Mid-March. I need to get it to the thrift shop before I pull things out of it.
I've been trying for the last week to get DH to go thru his drawers in the chifferobe in the kitchen. I gave him one drawer for his breakfast reading material and he's taken over 3 drawers.

Azure
4-16-13, 5:25pm
Went through my old skinny clothes and bagged up 3 bags to take to Goodwill.

Now I have to figure out what to do with a bunch of picture frames.

Spoony
4-16-13, 5:35pm
I'm packing up to move later this spring/summer. I am creating some large piles to go into a series of garage sales in the next month or so. I'll likely have hundreds, if not over a thousand items to sell. What doesn't sell will be donated.

The people buying my home are good friends of mine and are also doing a fair amount of purging and are combining their items with mine for the garage sale. We've also agreed to hold another post-move garage sale, once we are more settled into our new places and have a better idea on what we are going to keep.

I'm hoping that by the end of the year, I will be down to those items I use and love and let go of all of the unfinished projects and items that were just taking up space.

This has been a more difficult and stressful project than I anticipated. I've been at my home for 15 years and even though I've been continually purging and donating, I am absolutely SHOCKED at the amount of stuff that we are still pulling out of my closets and garage.

I'm still having difficulty letting go of some items, but am making progress. I'm finding that I have to "try on" purging something and think about it for awhile before putting it into the sell pile. For me, this is more of a process than a one-shot event.

try2bfrugal
4-17-13, 1:08am
I posted this in the frugals already but we sold some exercise equipment that was taking up a lot of space in the garage. Now we have a car back in the garage and an extra $200. That was huge because it was stuff too big for us to take to Goodwill, and yet too good to go to the dump.

The last couple of days I have been filing, sorting and shredding as needed all of the clutter on my desk. I also have a basket of stuff ready to go to Goodwill.

nswef
4-17-13, 7:54am
Ah, paperwork is my problem. That is on my list today- get rid of a file or two. I think I am inspired! We'll see.

larknm
4-17-13, 12:10pm
For $2 I joined the senior center near our house and got my first free haircut. A woman comes two days a month and volunteers this. I will also get on a list there for a volunteer home helper, who will come to the house once a week and help with light housekeeping things I can no longer do safely. This is a very popular service, so it may take 6 months to a year for it to start. But it will help DH and I stay in our home over time.

fidgiegirl
4-17-13, 6:10pm
DH has been taking items daily for the coworker's garage sale. We should be done with one more box.

My yarn stash, on the other hand, is going in the opposite direction of decluttered . . . but I'm having fun and making lots of goodies!

mnmlz
4-18-13, 12:56pm
I am filling my backseat with stuff to donate this morning. A cream separator, a 20 qt roaster oven, lots of duplicates of pots and pans of all shapes and sizes.

Azure
4-19-13, 7:47pm
I sorted through the picture frames and found several to get rid of. I finally took everything to Goodwill today. Except I forgot the picture frames were in the back seat while everything else was in the trunk! I work 1/2 a block away from a Goodwill so I can just drop those off on my way home one day.

fidgiegirl
4-19-13, 11:58pm
It's getting time for me to do an electronic declutter, mostly of my main e-mail inbox. I love the feeling of inbox zero and it should be pretty easy since mostly I have followed GTD with my e-mails and acted on them right away.

LilyB
4-21-13, 11:59am
Thanks for posting! I need a nudge to get going again. Managed to get rid of a garbage bag full of moldy books found on a shelf in Mom's basement. Almost glad she stored them in damp location or I would have been sorely tempted to keep some. :|(

Nothing much happening on the home front. I'd better get going since the month is almost over.

Kat
4-22-13, 3:40pm
I haven't been keeping track too well this month, but I decluttered about a zillion coupons and went through a lot of digital clutter. Let go of unflattering pictures, old college papers, junk email, etc. We purged some stuff from the kitchen, too--some mugs and a spice rack--and we tossed some stuff from the basement that was damaged when it flooded (only minor flooding, though, thank goodness--nothing important was lost and no real damage). Let go of some old pillows and have been trying to be intentional about using up things we have.

Rosemary
4-22-13, 4:08pm
My incredibly talented cousin gave me one of her pottery creations this weekend. I love it and looking at it inspired me to get rid of and put away those things that I do not love but are in my house because someone gave them to me or I acquired them at a different stage of life. I put some things in the crawlspace for now, and amassed a large pile for the cat shelter's yard sale. Next up: clothing.

fidgiegirl
4-22-13, 4:31pm
DH took almost the last of the items in to work with him today. Just two barbells left to go in . . . yikes!

mnmlz
4-22-13, 4:48pm
I decluttered an upright freezer. I decided to get rid of it instead of repairing it. My repairman came and carted it away to use it for parts. On Sunday I got rid of more kitchen stuff. Extra serving spoons and some other utensils.

iforonwy
4-30-13, 10:35am
Well a new month starts tomorrow and so that will be a very good time to start on the de-cluttering - well that's the theory anyway!

I had a HUGE amount of post delivered last Thursday after our 10 weeks awa. As of today it has been sorted into re-cycle papers etc., file, deal with/answer/then file. This morning the deal with/answer/file list stood at 11 items. This afternoon it is down to 6.

Wish me luck.................

iris lily
4-30-13, 10:05pm
I threw out about 15 plastic tops to food containers this morning. I was livid that I could not find one freakin' lid that fit! So I stopped what I was doing and matched up a lid with a bottom and threw all the rest of the lids out.

iris lily
4-30-13, 10:07pm
Our neighborhood's Park Conservancy is having another sale in June and I want to give them a few sorta nice things. ALl of the nicer items have gone in the past couple of years that I've been decluttering. So I picked up a piece of art and was just about to put it in the donation box and instead tried it on a place on the wall. It looked nice. But I no longer love it. Yet, I do like it. What a dilemma...

fidgiegirl
4-30-13, 10:10pm
I threw out about 15 plastic tops to food containers this morning. I was livid that I could not find one freakin' lid that fit! So I stopped what I was doing and matched up a lid with a bottom and threw all the rest of the lids out.

I do this periodically and it feels great. I don't know how we get so many mismatches but we sure do!

Tussiemussies
4-30-13, 10:51pm
I am filling my backseat with stuff to donate this morning. A cream separator, a 20 qt roaster oven, lots of duplicates of pots and pans of all shapes and sizes.

Hi mnmiz, I was just reading on Facebook from a woman who is a homesteader who just got a cream separator and was thrilled...some homesteader would be sure to pick that up if you live in an area where there are homesteaders....:)

ejchase
5-1-13, 1:32am
I do this periodically and it feels great. I don't know how we get so many mismatches but we sure do!

I actually had a revelation about this a few years ago, after having grown up in a home where there were always hundreds of lids and hundreds of bottoms, and we always spent so much time trying to find two that matched.

I now store these kinds of containers with the lids already on them. In a way, it seems like a crazily inefficient use of space, but it saves SO much time and irritation when it comes time to use them. Also, I think I tend to save a more appropriate amount of these containers now because I can see I already have ten or so saved, with tops and lids already matched, and I realize I don't need more.

Float On
5-1-13, 7:26am
I do what ejchase does only I took it a step further - there are only 4 of them and they are glass with plastic lids. Even that is really more than I need.