PDA

View Full Version : 30 Abandoned Places

KayLR
4-15-13, 12:35pm
It's possible these images have been on a thread before, but I hadn't seen them. Anway, for those of you who've not seen them, enjoy! Some of them really provoked me to wonder "why." The abandoned Chinese city, for instance.

It reminds me of that series (and book) about the earth "after us (people)."

http://myscienceacademy.org/2013/04/14/the-33-most-beautiful-abandoned-places-in-the-world/

Gardenarian
4-15-13, 3:16pm
Thank you! I love old abandoned barns and spooky houses and ghost towns. Really great photos!

Jilly
4-15-13, 5:00pm
I love that site, and now I love the Polish trainyard.

CathyA
4-15-13, 5:25pm
Kay, maybe this is what you're referring to, but the pics remind me of the book "The World Without Us"....at the beginning, before it all gets covered over with nature.

KayLR
4-15-13, 5:40pm
CathyA, yes you're right...I just couldn't remember the exact title and didn't have time to research it.

iris lily
4-15-13, 9:18pm
I love that mountaintop abode in India.

The Detroit place hits a little close to home.

razz
4-15-13, 10:17pm
Loved the photos. Imagine climbing those steps shown in #11 in India. Take all day to get up to the top.

Mrs-M
4-16-13, 4:36pm
Stunning pictures. The abandoned train depot is especially spooky. In my mind I'm thinking, "where are all the people and why aren't the trains running".

The photos exemplify, time standing still. So relaxing and soothing to look at. I hope our Lainey, sees this. It would have fit in so well with her potpourri thread.

Lainey
4-16-13, 8:37pm
Thanks, Mrs M! You're right, these are stunning.

I was actually lucky enough to visit the town of Kenmare Ireland (photo 8) about 10 years ago, and although I wasn't in any area that was overgrown like the photo, that color green brought that memory back right away.

Spartana
4-17-13, 1:10pm
Beautiful! I love abandoned places and try to visit some when travelling - especially the really large old eerie ones. Lots of abandoned prisons and mental hospitals and huge hotels in the States that are truely creepy - and beautiful. I just watch a REALLY bad horror movie called "Chernobyl something or other" about a group of tourists who visit the abandoned town near the nuclear plant. Of course they got stuck over night and soon found out the place really wasn't abandoned after all :0!:0!

I also love abandoned towns - some formal ghost towns that declined due to economic reasons, some that just seemed to become abandoned overnight for reasons unknown. Reminds me of the Stephen King book "'Salems Lot" where all sorts of small toens in maine became abruptly abandoned over the yearsand no one knew why - at least until it happened in the small town of "Salems Lot.