PDA

View Full Version : Favorite, and least favorite, movie and book genre?

Spartana
4-19-13, 2:52pm
favorite movie genres: in order - Sci-fi (hard sci-fi not fantasy), horror (supernatural stuff not slasher stuff), crime stuff (serial killers stuff like Silence of the Lambs), quirky stuff (like most of Tim Burtons stuff). war dramas, action adventure, westerns

favorite book genres: non-fiction science and technical, true crime, short story horror, hard sci-fi

Least favorite movie genres: romance dramas (although loved The Notebook), romantic comedies, comedies, and musicals (liked Chicago though)

Least favorite book genre: Romance, spy fiction, westerns, war dramas.

sweetana3
4-19-13, 2:59pm
Least favorite: Horror of any kind. Scifi without a "story". War, cowboy are also up there.

Favorite movies: Have ended up being a lot of foreign films since they are usually not predictable. Love Indian Bollywood (predictable though) and French.

Favorite books: Well written mysteries, usually English. Several female authors (Lanier, King, etc.) Historical mysteries set in the medieval period.

iris lily
4-19-13, 2:59pm
Favorite films: foreign, art house or non-genre films mainstream films, especially when based on a compelling book such as Into the Wild, We Need to talk about Kevin, NOtes on a Scandel.

Favorite books: English village novels, novels about English life, biographies written by professional writers, literary fiction but not too iacademic, ya know?

Least Fav films: car crash/gun shooting films, musicals

Least Fav books: Westerns, Romance (super blech!) mysteries & suspense

What I have learned is that any exception to the genre, well done, is worthwhile

I like Gone Girl though do not normally read suspense

I loved Deadwood and The Wire, but do not normally watch Westerns or cop shows

JaneV2.0
4-19-13, 7:52pm
Favorite: non-fiction by a mile: most subjects except economics and war. I don't like romance unless it's incidental to an otherwise good story. I'm not interested in "classics" or anything that is supposed to be "good for you." Even though English was one of my many majors, I had to hold my nose to get through literature classes. Henderson the Rain King haunts me still. I can enjoy sci fi or fantasy, animation (G-rated is fine), mysteries, suspense, horror--as long as it isn't grand guignol. I appreciate first-rate special effects. For the most part, nuance is lost on me, along with florid prose.

ToomuchStuff
4-20-13, 1:51pm
Favorite movie genres: Scifi (I can take or leave fantasy, but prefer sci fi) and action. Least favorite, are ones that are true to life (I am in that, and seeing a movie is supposed to be an escape).

Favorite book genres: well, I don't have a favorite, since I read mostly technical manuals, for information. Other then that, it has been more autobiography type of stuff, to learn. Don't really have enough time to read books for fun.

Gardenarian
4-22-13, 3:40pm
Favorite movie genres: in order - Fantasy, Science Fiction, Classics, Anime, Romantic comedy.

Favorite book genres: Classic novels, Science Fiction, Fantasy. Non-fiction - Nature (love field guides), Home & Garden, Health, Science.

Least favorite movie genres: Anything gory. I am a wimp.

Least favorite book genre: Romance, "Topical" YA fiction (the girl who cuts herself, the alcoholic parent, the sexually abused teen), True crime, Pop psychology/spiritual (like "The Secret".)

awakenedsoul
4-22-13, 7:51pm
Favorite movie genre: Foreign films, excellent comedians like Steve Martin in The Jerk, or Carol Burnett in The Four Seasons. I really liked About A Boy with Hugh Grant. There's another movie with a woman from SNL. She gets all these animals. I can't remember her name or the name of the movie. It really made me laugh, though. I also like old classic movie musicals like The Sound of Music, and An American In Paris. Art...

Least favorite: I don't watch that many movies. I don't have t.v. anymore, either. I don't like films that depend on gore, violence, car chases, or sex. I like something well written, finely directed, and well acted. Talent matters most to me. (The opposite of "reality" t.v.)

Favorite book genre: I read a lot of non-fiction. Right now it's Napolean Hill. I like books on creating wealth. I'm into knitting books by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee because she's so funny. She makes me laugh out loud. She gives her take on philosophy. I like spiritual books, autobiographies, and books by strong, powerful women. Anything by people who have made something of themselves...I find that motivating and inspiring.

Least favorite book genre: I don't like poor writing. Some of the new books ignore grammar, and it bugs me. It makes it hard to read. It feels sloppy and unfinished. I guess it's the new texting generation. I like writing that is concise and t has good rhythm. Mickey Rooney nailed this in his autobiography. Not surprising, since he was also a terrific dancer and a talented comedian. At the end of my career I did a show with him, and his energy blew me away. Seems like great artists have talent in so many areas. If they're really good at on thing, they will be just as good at several others. (Master energy.) My favorite subject...

Gardenarian
4-23-13, 3:07pm
awakenedsoul - you did a show with Mickey Rooney? Would love to hear more!!

awakenedsoul
4-23-13, 5:06pm
awakenedsoul - you did a show with Mickey Rooney? Would love to hear more!!

Gardenarian,

Yes, Sugar Babies at The Desert Inn in Las Vegas. I understudied Juliet Prowse, the leading lady. If she was out, I would have shared the stage with Mickey! She had pancreatic cancer and never missed a show. She was a real pro.

If you have a chance to read Mickey's book, it's a little raunchy, but really well written. Mickey gave my dog a piece of birthday cake on his birthday. I didn't stop him because he was Mickey Rooney. (Normally I don't give my dogs people food.) Mickey had 10 dogs...

Sorry Spartana, back to books and movies...

Gardenarian
4-23-13, 7:44pm
Wow, how exciting! I had no idea you were in show business.
I'll give the book a chance, though not my normal thing - but seeing as he's a dog lover, well.