PDA

View Full Version : NYT tiny homes

redfox
2-23-11, 8:12pm
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2011/02/24/garden/20110224-TINY.html?ref=garden

jp1
2-23-11, 9:55pm
What fun! How great it would be to be able to sneak out into one of those spaces on a quiet weekend afternoon to have some alone time to read a book or take a nap or whatever!

Mrs-M
3-4-11, 12:10pm
Yes indeed what fun they are! I envy people who can simplify their lives to this point and still be happy and content.

KayLR
3-4-11, 12:15pm
Like adult playhouses! I love them! Actually, they'd be good for visitors if you don't have room for everyone. Teens would probably love staying in one.

Mrs-M
3-4-11, 12:22pm
KayLRZ. You're right about teens wanting to stay in one. My kids would be all over the idea of staying the night in the likes of such. A totally awesome idea for guests with kids.

rosarugosa
3-4-11, 2:40pm
Cute, but just a little too small for my taste. We live in a 900 sf home, and it's a great size for our family of 2 adults and 2 cats. I am organized to a fault, so this space works well for us and our belongings. But I have no desire to pare down to ten things and live in a rabbit hutch:)

razz
3-4-11, 7:47pm
There are a few of these that I have seen online and they seem to work very well.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Hands-On-How-To/Grain-Bin-Building.aspx

reader99
3-5-11, 8:22am
Cute, but just a little too small for my taste. We live in a 900 sf home, and it's a great size for our family of 2 adults and 2 cats. I am organized to a fault, so this space works well for us and our belongings. But I have no desire to pare down to ten things and live in a rabbit hutch:)

It seems the builders of it don't *live* there either - it's behind their small but normal house. It seemed like the point was more the creative use of scavenged materials to make a shelter/hut/retreat/meditation room. To really call it a *home* I'd need for it to have a bathroom and cooking facilities. They are very cute as little satellite rooms off a main house.

Mrs-M
3-5-11, 11:34am
Oh do I ever love the grain-bin homes!!!