PDA

View Full Version : thinking about clothes on Earth Day

pinkytoe
4-22-13, 12:39pm
Not sure why but I have stumbled upon several articles recently about fast fashion - how clothing brands/fashions now have 7 or 8 seasons rather than the traditional 2 or 3. We are awash in clothes and because they are so cheap, we are able to replace them very frequently. We succumb to all the latest trends - an example would be the shape and length of skirts or pants. And that most don't know how toxic the production of clothes (dyes, additives) is for us and our environment. It is just not something I ever thought about much but I will think twice before purchasing what I don't need in the future. I guess it keeps the thrift stores in business but other than that...

Gardenarian
4-22-13, 2:10pm
I buy all my clothes used, and it is very odd to ponder the life cycle of clothes. From the (probably) GMO cotton being grown with pesticides, to it being shipped to China and being pieced together by people earning pennies, to it being sprayed with weird chemicals, shipped back to U.S., tagged and put on the shelf in the store, purchased and put in a plastic bag, worn once or twice, and then I'm buying it for a dollar. That dollar sure paid for a lot of work and travel!