PDA

View Full Version : Twitter

redfox
2-23-11, 9:16pm
I'm learning this medium. Interested in what others think...

puglogic
2-24-11, 10:26am
My life (even my professional life) doesn't generate the kinds of constantly changing events that warrant a communication tool like Twitter. Nor do I travel in the kinds of social circles where people are fascinated by whether I'm at the coffee shop, at the basketball game, etc.

And frankly, I don't care to share in this manner. People who are part of my life and work already know what I'm up to. (it reminds me of an Ashleigh Brilliant cartoon that reads, "Isn't there some quick and easy way to show you how much you mean to me? :)

So it's not an acceptable time investment for me, but I can see certain situations where someone might find it useful, or just get a kick out of it.

Anne Lee
2-24-11, 2:22pm
What puglogic said. I'm trying it, too. I'm lukewarm about it. It's meh.

pinkytoe
2-24-11, 2:52pm
I have followed a few people I was interested in at the time but like facebook...after a while found it mostly boring.

redfox
2-24-11, 3:34pm
I'm diving in partially because I'm a fundraiser, an am interested in FR forays on Twitter. That said, last night I found a number of people in Egypt & Libya who I am following, as well as Libyans living in the US, and it has been very interesting to see the wave of tweets about the actions there. Hard to stop! So, off to work I go...

Miss Cellane
2-24-11, 3:57pm
I'm experimenting with it. I don't have a text plan on my cell phone, so I can't get Tweets on the go. But I can check them on-line. It isn't all just random people tweeting about their activities. I've found tweets from publications like Scientific American and the NY Review of Books--publications I don't subscribe to, but do like to read. The tweets include links to articles, either on their websites or other sites. Some blogs tweet every time they post a new entry; things like that. So you can keep up with some journals and blogs, as well as inform the world that you are stopping off for a cup of coffee.

But at some point it becomes one more thing I have to check on a daily basis. So I'm experimenting for a month to see what value Twitter holds for me.

RCWRTR
2-24-11, 11:07pm
I enjoy Twitter. I think it is preferable to Facebook because communication is limited to 140 characters per Tweet, which makes it easy to read a lot of Tweets quickly when using Twitter for BlackBerry on my mobile device or on my laptop computer. I think people who enjoy Twitter most are the ones who limit whom they follow to a few celebrities, some news and some friends. I think it would be boring if I didn't follow anyone interesting or overwhelming if I followed to many people at once.

fidgiegirl
2-25-11, 8:12am
I am going to try it! I was just at a conference yesterday and the teachers who are users were RAVING about it. One said she learned more about teaching in a year on Twitter than in 15 years of sit-and-listen professional development. Exciting!

Now if I can't just remember my username . . .

Greg44
2-25-11, 9:32am
I signed up some time ago and just did not get it. I look at my dw's facebook every now and then and have decided these forums is about the limit of my social networking!

...but this is coming from a guy who has a pay as you go phone...you have to "top-up" $ 20.00 every 90 days and I still have
$ 16.36 from the last 90 days!!

JaneV2.0
2-25-11, 2:38pm
[QUOTE
...but this is coming from a guy who has a pay as you go phone...you have to "top-up" $ 20.00 every 90 days and I still have
$ 16.36 from the last 90 days!![/QUOTE]

:+1: I think I have something like $400 in credit on mine. Credit I'll never use...

I look at a few Twitter pages occasionally, but so far I'm disinclined to join up. I don't think anyone cares much about my random hourly musings.

Wildflower
2-25-11, 5:43pm
No Twitter for me. I recently closed my Facebook account too. Just doesn't add anything worthwhile to my life so I'm not going to waste anymore time on it. To each their own. :)

Anne Lee
2-25-11, 5:46pm
I am going to try it! I was just at a conference yesterday and the teachers who are users were RAVING about it. One said she learned more about teaching in a year on Twitter than in 15 years of sit-and-listen professional development. Exciting!

Now if I can't just remember my username . . .

I'd like to know who she is following.

Fawn
2-25-11, 9:47pm
I don't think anyone cares much about my random hourly musings.
Jane, we do, but we just come here to hear them.:|(

mira
2-26-11, 6:03am
I don't post anything on it, although I do subscribe to lots of feeds; mainly library & info science ones and local organisations in my area (eg. cinemas, museums, event organisers etc). I find that it's ok to use to keep up-to-date with events and news in these areas, but the volume of information is just far too high and it's impossible to really keep up.

Bootsie
2-26-11, 10:46am
Facebook was a bust for me - I found it a boring time suck. I felt crummy after spending time on FB. I haven't deleted my account but it's dormant. I keep it because FB is the way my younger relatives communicate and I know I can reach them that way if needed....but I don't need any more photos of my young-adult relatives with drinks in their hands, ykwim?

As for twitter, I just joined. I am following Advice to Writers for encouragement and I am following The Onion for giggles. Already got a giggle from The Onion today. But, as others have said, it's just one more thing to check each day and I might bore of it soon.

Honestly, I'd much rather be on this board on you guys than on FB and Twit.

rosarugosa
2-26-11, 3:13pm
Purposefully avoiding Twitter - I don't want to be a Twit!

Miss Minimalist
3-1-11, 2:12pm
I use Twitter to keep up with my fellow minimalist bloggers. I don't read any blogs on a regular basis, but often follow Twitter links to interesting posts. (And conversely, I use it to tweet about new posts of my own.) In that way, I find it works well as an information filter.