PDA

View Full Version : Forum Financial Update, 1st Qtr 2013

Alan
4-29-13, 1:34pm
I've delayed this report for a few weeks hoping to get better numbers after the NRM Board transitioned to a new Treasurer. In the financial report reported to the board at our quarterly meeting, SLF financials were not broken out of overall NRM financials. Rather than keep anyone guessing, I'll report what we know:

1st Qtr donations: $55
Website Maintenance: $180 (this covers the cost of our website host's expertise in recovering from two malicious hacker attacks)
Internet Hosting $105 (our hosting account's monthly expense is $35)

It doesn't cost very much to run a site such as ours as long as volunteers take care of the day-to-day issues and scheduled upgrades. Our annual hosting expense should be $420. If we want to add additonal features, such as blogging or a more feature laden version of the forum software, that would be extra. It is also essential that we have the funds available to recover from malicious attacks in a timely manner. Our hosting provider assists in that effort although at the cost of $90 per hour with a two hour minimum. Hopefully we'll never have to do that again, but we must be prepared.

If I were forecasting an annual budget for the site, I'd shoot for $750 to $1000 just to keep everything running and perhaps schedule an upgrade every few years.

thinkgreen
4-29-13, 3:20pm
Thanks for the reminder Alan. I have clicked the orange donate button for my contribution. It sounds like we just need 40 people to donate about $25 each to keep the site "in the black".

awakenedsoul
4-29-13, 5:03pm
Last year I dontated $120. (I think...if I remember correctly.) I'll do that again. In thanks of the hard work of those who volunteer their time to run this place, and in gratitude to the members of this forum who contribute generous and caring knowledge.

Jilly
4-29-13, 7:32pm
I wish that I could help by donating. I just cannot. The donate button is right up there, on the top of every page and I notice it, and I think about how I have a responsibility to do my share.

iris lily
4-29-13, 8:35pm
I wish that I could help by donating. I just cannot. The donate button is right up there, on the top of every page and I notice it, and I think about how I have a responsibility to do my share.

When you can, you will donate if you are still hangin' out here, I am sure of it. You don't use up much bandwidth anyway.

Those of us who use the bandwidth need to contribute and not wiggle out of that! haha.

Float On
4-29-13, 9:17pm
Thanks for the reminder. I never notice the donate button I'm always too quick to hit the 'what's new' button. I donated a little drop in the bucket - a few drops can make a puddle or even a lake.

Tradd
4-29-13, 9:52pm
Thanks for the reminder. Will donate on payday (tomorrow!).

Sad Eyed Lady
4-29-13, 10:03pm
Made my donation! Thanks for the reminder.

Jilly
4-29-13, 10:40pm
I would and will contribute if I am able. I cannot do that in my daily life either, but I do have three volunteer jobs that total approximately fifteen hours each week. It is a way that I can make a contribution that is not money.

Glad to hear that I am not wasting bandwidth, though. :)

Lainey
4-29-13, 11:25pm
I just donated something too. Good reminder, Alan.

Tussiemussies
4-30-13, 12:18am
Alan, how do you donate when you use the site button? If I want to use PayPal is there anything I am supported to put in the comments? For some reason I remember this being an issue in the past...

Thank you!

Christine

iris lily
4-30-13, 12:34am
Alan, how do you donate when you use the site button? If I want to use PayPal is there anything I am supported to put in the comments? For some reason I remember this being an issue in the past...

Thank you!

Christine

I just made a donation today with Paypal so this is fresh in my mind. There is a comment box that pops up right before you actually make a donation. In your comment say something like "for the SL forums."

Tussiemussies
4-30-13, 12:52am
I just made a donation today with Paypal so this is fresh in my mind. There is a comment box that pops up right before you actually make a donation. In your comment say something like "for the SL forums."

Thanks iris!

SteveinMN
4-30-13, 9:10am
I forgot to note the SLF part the first time I donated and "they" (someone at New Road Map) had to get back to me to verify what I meant to do. So, yeah, just toss in a note about Simple Living and that will work.

Alan
4-30-13, 9:14am

Thank you!

Christine

...There is a comment box that pops up right before you actually make a donation. In your comment say something like "for the SL forums."

So, yeah, just toss in a note about Simple Living and that will work.

Yep....What they said. :thankyou:

Mrs-M
4-30-13, 10:39am
I forgot to note the SLF part the first time I donated and "they" (someone at New Road Map) had to get back to me to verify what I meant to do. So, yeah, just toss in a note about Simple Living and that will work.Not my experience. I made it perfectly clear as to where my monies were to go, yet when I received a thank you/confirmation letter back, it clearly stated that my donation went to the NRF.

Spartana
5-4-13, 12:29pm
Thanks for the reminder. You may want to post the address again for those of us who like to mail in donations.

RoseFI
5-4-13, 12:56pm
Just for the record (but I'm sure you all already get this)... Of course the donations clearly go to New Road Map Foundation (NRM), as we host the site. Donations are directed toward whichever program of NRM is indicated, whether the Financial Integrity Program, or SLF. If no indication, we try to follow-up with anyone, if we can reach them via email, to get clarification. All Mrs-M's donations went toward SLF.

RoseFI
5-4-13, 1:02pm
Thanks for that suggestion (and the donation) Spartana!

Address to mail in donations:
New Road Map Foundation
PO Box 1363
Langley, WA 98260

Checks are very welcome! (Though more labor-intensive on this end, but Paypal doesn't cut into the amount with their fees.)

rosarugosa
6-23-13, 10:05am
I just wrote a check and will get it into the mail this week. Makes sense to avoid the PayPal fees; thanks for the suggestion Rozie.

hifidi
8-21-13, 1:04pm
Forum Financial Update 2nd Quarter 2013

Hi everyone. I'm the new Treasurer and I'm learning about the Financials of the New Roadmap Foundation. I'm Diane, live in Northern CA with my 2 specials needs adult sons and my husband. I quit fulltime work in 2010 and we're financially independent and enjoying it immensely. I still work; I have a part time financial planning business and do other things. I love this program and feel honored to be participating in the Board work. Here I go with my first report:

Second Quarter Donations were $870.00.

Second Quarter Expenses:

Website Maintenance: $235.99
Internet Hosting: $114.15
Bank Fees: $ 40.94 (mostly PayPal fees)
Total Expenses: $391.08

Net $478.92

Thank you for your generous donations. I'm happy to be a part of Simple Living Forums.
Diane

Lainey
8-21-13, 8:12pm
Thank you Diane for the update, and your upbeat attitude!