PDA

View Full Version : One New Habit in May

ejchase
4-30-13, 3:21pm
I started a thread in February about starting one new habit a month. I was working on meditating and have done pretty well with it - but not perfectly!

I have been taking the advice of writers like Charles Duhigg who say that the best way to form a new habit has been to place it within a cue, routine, reward pattern. Here's his flow chart:

http://assets.goop.com/222/HowtoCreateaHabit.jpg

With meditating, my cue has been seeing my meditation pillow in the morning, and my reward has been my regular morning cup of coffee. I can't tell you how motivating it is to not be able to drink coffee until after I've meditated!

In May, I'm going to work on praying on my knees after I meditate (I'm kind of agnostic, but I find praying to the universe helps remind me of the most important intentions I have going on in my life) and then also doing a 10 minute cleaning/decluttering routine in the morning before I start getting dressed for work. I haven't figured out the cue and reward for the latter habit so will report back on that one later.

Anybody else want to work on building a positive habit this month?

sylvia
5-22-13, 9:43pm
I have really gotten fired up about paying certain debts. Made a habit of making it a priority, change goes in jar , paychecks and any extra went towards debt.That was for May . June will be getting started with Yoga , meditation. I am glad you posted the meditation habit. Sticking to it is an accomplishment.