PDA

View Full Version : I taught a lady to sew tonight

Zoe Girl
5-5-13, 11:45pm
It was so much fun, she wanted to sew for a church charity project and found me on Wyzant. We spent about 2 hours and she was able to do it all by the end, thread the machine and wind up a bobbin and make some of the project herself. We even answered her handsewing question that has been bugging her. It really reminded me how much I like teaching, Ithink I am good at it as well. I really try to have people understand and do it themselves, ask questions up front to match their needs, etc. Now I am thinking that one of our 'themes' for summer camp (30 minutes sessions, 3times a week for 4 weeks) could be about traditional arts like handsewing, crochet, knitting, all adapted for the age level. There are many things kids can do.

Float On
5-6-13, 7:20am
ZG - do you have a vo-tech school tied to any of your local high schools? Ours offers adult classes. A friend and I took a sewing class (even though we both knew how) just to remind us of basic skills and to slow down and read patterns. It was a lot of fun. Ours is always looking for teachers. The twice a year catalog says "If you can teach - we can put you to work. We're always looking for new class ideas and instructors". I've considered offering a kiln fusing class but I'd have to buy an extra kiln or two to leave over there and that's not an investment I want to make yet.

Zoe Girl
5-6-13, 8:26am
That sounds like fun, we do have a 'free university' here. I put in a proposal to teach a class on being a super sub (subsitute teacher) that was not accepted. I wonder about teaching to sew, the lady I taught is part of supporting a catholic school and they had a lot of sewing machines donated to them. I like the free university option because it is more for adults so it is after my regular hours or on weekends instead of during the day. I have some flex in my job during the day however it seems too often there is a meeting thrown in.

I have been thinking lately about how many 'traditional arts' skills I have collected over the years, wonder if anyone wants a basic class in how to cook with what you have, mend what you need to and make homemade gifts and toys. Hmmm.

Float On
5-6-13, 9:23am
The adult classes at our votech are all evening or saturdays.
One guy teaches fly fishing, there are several that teach photography, computer skills, photo shop, quick books. There are 3 sewing plus a quilting class. Pottery, jewelry, basketweaving. Spanish. Fiction writer workshop. Exercise classes. Welding and simple car repair (considering having the boys take that one as part of their requirement for getting their drivers licenses). There are usually several cooking classes as well from simple basic cooking to gourmet. I think a call in raw foods or gluten free would be a good idea or canning. Someone taught gardening last year but I didn't see that listed again in the latest catalog.

The nice thing about the vo-tech is that it isn't free. The teachers are paid for their time and since students are making an investment, they stick with it.