PDA

View Full Version : Hannibal, anyone?

pony mom
5-21-13, 11:34pm
When I heard about the show Hannibal, I was really interested because it's a Bryan Fuller show (Pushing Daisies, Dead Like Me). It's got me hooked. I find the Hannibal character so fascinating and played so well by Mads Mikkelson (sp?). I'm always studying his face and eyes, looking for his reaction to different things.

It is a bit gory, but watching him prepare gourmet meals of human organs for friends is addictive in a strange way.

Anyone else?

citrine
5-22-13, 12:34pm
Yes, I have been watching it as well....he is an amazing actor! Must be a Jersey thing ;)

Float On
5-22-13, 5:06pm
I'm hooked!

poetry_writer
5-23-13, 10:00am
no thanks. I turned on the tv and Hannibal was on, showing me a man about to poke a womans eyeballs out with his thumbs. I will pass on that.

iris lily
5-23-13, 10:39am
oh, I thought you were going to ask about Hannibal, MO. Stay at the Garth Woodside Mansion, it is great. haha.

Sorry to be a downer but I won't be watching another network gore fest. I am deeply skeptical that it is entertaining. I will watch shows that have violence and gore if that tv show is exceptionally well done (Sopranos, Sons of Anarchy, Deadwood, Breaking Bad) those are all great shows with violence as a necessary evil, not the focus of the show. Hannibal sounds as though the entire point is: see what this monster will do.

Perhaps the reviews will prove me wrong. Already I am surprised about the love shown on this board for it, so I could be wrong!

And speaking of eyeball torture, that's when I turned off Kevin Bacon's new TV show which was a marginally interesting cop 'n gore show, but torture and obscene violence is not entertaining for me, even my interest in the charming Mr. Bacon couldn't transcend that.

And now I have to tell my Hannibal Lector story: The first book about Hannibal had him, at the end, sitting in St. Louis staring out a window at City Hospital. Guess where I live? One block from City Hospital. How is that for creepy, are you creeped out!???

pony mom
5-24-13, 8:55pm
It IS gory. But the interesting part, for me anyway, is seeing how the two main characters interact with each other. Hannibal is very private although the audience is slowly learning about him. Will's character is gifted and complex. They are becoming close friends, each one needing the other. In their conversations, they seem to dance around each other, not giving away too much but egging each other on.

The actor playing Hannibal is a former ballet dancer, and it shows. He has such presence (and hulking great shoulders!). The show has a culinary cannibal consultant to advise in the food preparation (can you believe such a thing exists??)

Now that I like the show, I'm hoping it doesn't get cancelled like so many others in the past, including Pushing Daisies.

poetry_writer
5-25-13, 11:14am
I dont see what can possibly be entertaining about it...in any way shape or form. When did we get to the point that gore and gruesome is entertainment? Just asking, some like it and I am curious as to why this is "entertaining". I have enjoyed the occasional zombie book...:o).....not sure why such can be interesting at times. But no, seeing it in living color i dont care to do.

iris lily
5-25-13, 12:13pm
I dont see what can possibly be entertaining about it...in any way shape or form. When did we get to the point that gore and gruesome is entertainment? Just asking, some like it and I am curious as to why this is "entertaining". I have enjoyed the occasional zombie book...:o).....not sure why such can be interesting at times. But no, seeing it in living color i dont care to do.

When gore is comic book level (like some of Tarantino's works) I can see it as entertainment. Parts of Django Unchained were awful--what happened to the --and Tarrantino did not show that or it was threatened (yet those were the worst parts.) But when the white slave owners got shot up, it was epic gun battle gore-fest in action packed cartoon style. Like Tarrantino or not, he makes statement with his signature violence.

But it's the torturing and extreme violence of "serious" tv, the dramas, that get to me. Perhaps Hannibal isn't that.

JaneV2.0
5-25-13, 12:37pm
When gore is comic book level (like some of Tarantino's works) I can see it as entertainment. ...

But it's the torturing and extreme violence of "serious" tv, the dramas, that get to me. Perhaps Hannibal isn't that.

Exactly. Grimm is a gore fest but "comic book" is the way I characterized it from the beginning.

poetry_writer
5-25-13, 2:00pm
Exactly. Grimm is a gore fest but "comic book" is the way I characterized it from the beginning.

Yes I do like Grimm. But a morphing guy who turns into a fairy tale creature to me is different .....than torture. I saw another show on network tv (also quickly turned off) where they pried a guys mouth opened and began drilling his teeth. AW gross. I can of course, hit the OFF button and that i do.

pony mom
5-25-13, 8:48pm
Movies and shows with a large amount of gore, violence, sex and explosions to make up for bad acting and a bad plot--those are hardly worth watching.

I just think Hannibal is much more complex and intelligent than its gory bits.

Tiam
5-28-13, 12:42am
When I heard about the show Hannibal, I was really interested because it's a Bryan Fuller show (Pushing Daisies, Dead Like Me). It's got me hooked. I find the Hannibal character so fascinating and played so well by Mads Mikkelson (sp?). I'm always studying his face and eyes, looking for his reaction to different things.

It is a bit gory, but watching him prepare gourmet meals of human organs for friends is addictive in a strange way.

Anyone else?

Well, I only recently discovered this. I think I watched 3 episodes. I don't mind dark material. I prefer it for some reason. I like that they put spins on characters like Freddie Lounds, and Jack Crawford, and paid homage to Hannibal's origins. I noticed direct script quotes from book and original film. They are trying hard to capture Will Graham's character. Will Graham is kind of the original profiler in literature/cinema. I never really noticed a character like him before, but now it seems everyone tries to channel him. I don't know if it has quite right, but I appreciate the effort. It seems a bit excessive at time. I hope they hit a true stride that hits the right note.