PDA

View Full Version : My journey ...

freebird914
6-2-13, 7:31am
Slight chill in air considering it will be 90 in few hours most people are still sleeping in and I am about to start digging, I actually had a moment yesterday while spending money to look back and see how far we have came since this started. Wow ... Just a little bit of work and being focused we have came a long way. Some people don't understand the goal, and a few people are wondering if we have forgotten about the group. I know I have put several things on hold trying to get my house in order, My motorcycles have suffered, two are on lifts and waiting there turns. Bottom line I need to get to a place so I can live like no one else and we are working hard to get there. When I arrive there I want things to be in place so I can enjoy life on lifes terms... What I have learned during this journey, Only a few will check on you and see where you are, They others weed themselves out quick. Health is important I use to just push thru the pain and discomfort, but I am trying to slow down and figure out whats going on. No more injuries ... There are like minded people out there they are on their own journey and I never meet them or shared with them because we ran different circles. SO here I sit waiting to dig, Actually looking forward to it, When I work alone I am free to think and it's not on some mindless task at hand, But really think and just enjoy being okay with oneself. For me it's a healing process working on my projects, working for self, not earning a living but, self. It's okay for me to be selfish and take care of myself, A Great Friend told me once "Its okay to be childlike, but don't be childish" So here I go with shovel, saw, hammer and yes a level. Going to the church I understand, I want to be open and see the world thru the eyes of a child and seek, explore and build... (Kinda like "Getting Lost") I know I will speak with the God of my understanding and my mind will be chasing rabbits soon but I will keep my fork in my back pocket... You all have a Great day be kind today, Be child like today ... see the world with the eyes of a child seek, explore build and enjoy ... Peace to all ...

SteveinMN
6-2-13, 10:31am
Peace, freebird. In this forum, you will find yourself among many people who have chosen to live life on their terms, not the "standard American life". It can be hard to find each other, but there is a bunch of us here willing to support you virtually.

freebird914
6-6-13, 7:17pm
Another day another dollar... We had a major storm here last night the bad type flash flooding in areas due to the amount dropped so quick... I live in the city and my some of my gravel driveway washed out to the curb ... Time to re-purpose so I grabbed a shovel and wheel barrow and off I went gravel is back where it belongs but also picked up 7 wheel barrow loads of top soil and sand mix now spread to level the front yard ... I always hear from the old timers (which I am getting there myself) talking about how the old days were better... Last night I cleared the gutters before work to slow flooding of the street... Maybe that was the difference in the old days the neighbor's would work together, It seems to me these days we are so busy and have so much entertainment choices most people come home and hide in their homes... I am lucky I have some good neighbors and we work together ... But that brings up the point... (Am I part of the community or on a island alone?) just random thoughts tonight... You all take care and be nice to one another ...

SteveinMN
6-6-13, 10:28pm
Maybe that was the difference in the old days the neighbor's would work together, It seems to me these days we are so busy and have so much entertainment choices most people come home and hide in their homes... I am lucky I have some good neighbors and we work together
I'm very happy that I live on a block where I know many of my neighbors and we'll chat when we see each other. We look out for each other and band together when need be. It's a wonderful thing.

But I would be careful about writing off a lack of neighborly contact to "so much entertainment choices". It's true that, in the "olden days", people gathered together often provided their own entertainment with live music and singing or just chatting. But our predecessors also typically were not on 24-hour coverage schedules; many fewer people worked rotating second and third shifts; and though their main jobs may not have been just Monday through Friday, I think folks back then found it easier to "moonlight" for more money if they needed to. Couple that with longer commutes and the increasing number of opportunities for schoolchildren (which calls for money and chauffeuring and parental involvement) and people today have many more competing demands for their time. They're not all watching TV and streaming movies.

freebird914
6-10-13, 7:47pm
Wow some days I really fell defeated... I started this journey slowly years ago working on stuff and financial ... I get so discouraged when I see other people just running away for weekends at the beach and buying rv's ... Does anyone else get discourage? I know I am doing right, I really want a simple life with less stuff and less bills so later if I decide to go to the beach its all paided for upfront and not on borrowed money and planned. Last year we went in September and had a great vacation paided cash the whole way no worrys just relaxed ... I have so many things I am trying to get done so my house and finances are in order ... I look back and see what I have done in the last few years 25x32 quosent hut in cash and my work and I aqm amazed how far I came and if all goes well this month all credit cards from the past will be paided off ... Just feeling defeated right now ... Time to man up and get my stuff in order so later on I can live like no one else ... Sorry for the rant just feeliing a little defeated right now...

fidgiegirl
6-10-13, 8:36pm
I do - sometimes I look at people out borrowing and having fun and I think, well, that's fine for them and if it doesn't bother them, great, but it does bother me to owe anyone. I have a friend who is miserable at work and had an opportunity to make a change but turned it down over a lower (not super much lower, but lower) salary at the new place - I think she is maxed out on obligations. I don't want that! I don't want to be stuck in a job I hate, ever! It's not worth it.

I am at a point right now where I feel life has been a bit blah and so I'm considering trying out some mini adventures, like new parks to visit, new rivers to paddle, etc., that would provide some of the fun but without the bill. Keep it up, you are right, it's a journey for sure . . . and hard to stay excited and chipper for the whole trip.

Glad you are here and sharing.

freebird914
6-17-13, 12:31pm
What a great weekend, Built my firewood rack like I wanted and best part it was done with no credit !!!! Sunday son and I installed parts I had picked up at Pull A part and they all were good. here's a comment I wrote elsewhere "Simple story as some my know my Son came across a Jeep Grand Cherokee 97 I always wanted one but as some things that are a want, must wait. So a few months ago my son gave me a the 97 and if you check there are a few problems with those years, One of which is a wet floor board on the passenger side cause by the drain plug and the degrading foam when move forward the water runs into the subframe and comes up in the middle of the passenger floor board. So today my Son and I spent the afternoon in the shop fixing various things actually he did the work and I watched he is a much better mechanic than me. He extended the drain with a hose and I can see the water draining now when the ac is running. So my jeep is peeing and like my Harleys it is marking its spot where ever it may travel. Overall a great Fathers day, Thanks again Ryan I had a great day." Something about fixing and repair stuff I just love it... Son did make the comment that it's nice I'm fixing up his future house for him.. Great weekend and no regrets on Monday about the money I spent because it was all planned ... Nothing like living on a budget and it working, though last week I did suffer the Jealous stage for a couple of days because friends were spending on credit... One bought a rv and the other a boat ... Funny thing we were all trying to be out of debt in a couple of years ? I am still on track and hopefully will stay that way ... I want to live like no one else ...

freebird914
6-19-13, 10:26pm
Still on track after all the people I know are spending I guess its that time of the year, I spent today paided off the last two credit cards I had and finished paying off my additional principal so if I just make my house payments till 11/2015 I will be debt free including house it ain't much but it's soon to be mine ... What a long strange trip it's been still have a couple of projects that need tying up but now just a house payment... Happy dance !!!!

Selah
6-20-13, 9:46am
Congratulations on paying off the last two credit cards, freebird! I know that feeling...being down to debt-free-except-for-the-mortgage, and it is a GREAT one. Good for you, too, for having the patience and self-discipline to go through those moments of envy when your friends rushed off to go deeper into debt (probably) to buy new stuff, but just staying still and keep on keeping-on. That's the true grit that gets people on these boards to where we want to go: making active choices to not just keep blindly spending for "fun," but to spend wisely and in line with our values and goals for simplicity and "enoughness." We are all rooting for you!