PDA

View Full Version : Rug Braiders?

spiderfolks
2-27-11, 11:30am
Does anyone on this list braid rugs? I have made about 15 rugs, mostly 2X3 ovals, and am nearly finished a 6X9 oval for my den. It is all wool, about 70% from recycled garments and blankets. Next project will be round chair pads. I have committed to teach rug-braiding next fall in the local adult ed program....would love to hear from others who enjoy this craft as well. Thanks

sweetana3
2-27-11, 12:03pm
They used to have a class at the John C Campbell Folk Art School, folkschool.org.

early morning
2-27-11, 1:20pm
I braided (and wove) wool rugs for years. Loved it, and love the rugs. I still have several (many were sold or given away) but never did any large (room-sized) ones - my largest is roughly 3x5. I haven't made any for quite a while - no time, other interests, arthritic thumbs- but DD and I were just talking the other day about making another. I did teach the craft several times to homemaker's groups in my friend's ward. It's fun, pretty easy, can be cheap if you recycle wool, and produces a lovely, classic, long-lasting and very useful product. Good luck with your teaching efforts!

CropCircleDancer
8-14-11, 11:37pm
I have done it, but not recently as much. Now I am making twined doormats out of plastic baling twine. They aren't hard, but there is some set-up time involved for a loom, and I always talk myself out of continuing. I am trying to set my next one up like a Navajo loom, but I am losing interest because it doesn't have to be all that precise. This thread reminds me that I need to get going.