PDA

View Full Version : Attic organization advice?

fidgiegirl
6-9-13, 3:36pm
I am kind of stumped about how to go about organizing our attic.

One idea I had was to use something like these shelves (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LYJ7PO/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B005LYJ7PO&linkCode=as2&tag=househmanage1-20), but they are made to install in an unfinished attic (directly to the trusses) and ours is finished (well, it's drywalled). Also, I could never bring myself to spend that much. :)

We are starting to have the issue of too many boxes and not sure what's in any of it when we need to find it.

I also think once we have an organizational system it will be easier to get rid of some of it. I do have some of my things to get rid of, but I've moved more often in life - DH has more, and right now, where's the motivation? It all fits. It's just that we could never find it if we needed it - which we don't. He's kind of interested in selling some of his vintage stuff, but really can't keep track from visit to visit what he's organized, what he hasn't, and just what's what. So long story short, it goes without saying that some of the stuff should go, but we haven't had success yet with that, so I want to change the approach - rather than purge then organize, we will try to set up the organizing system and then purge what doesn't fit. Maybe that will help.

I also don't want anything super permanent, though I'm willing to attach to walls, say if anyone happens to have spotted instructions for building shelves like I linked but on a finished wall. I want to be able to use that space for other needs in the future if they come up.

Here's the last thing I'll say: we both do much better if we can see the items, either loose on the shelf, in a clear box or labeled clearly on the outside of the box.

Well, now that you have a super long and picky list of criteria, ideas? :D

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5470/8999794956_c220a11340.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7733846@N05/8999794956/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7733846@N05/8999794956/) by fidgiegirl (http://www.flickr.com/people/7733846@N05/), on Flickr

Miss Cellane
6-9-13, 3:50pm
My first thought is that unless the attic is air conditioned, maybe it would be better to wait until fall to start this.

My second thought is that you are using finding the perfect shelving as a way to procrastinate on sorting/purging/organizing. I speak from personal experience, as that is the kind of thing I do. It is an attic. Any sturdy shelving system will do.

My third thought is that if you can't purge right now, then maybe you should organize without the shelves. Go up there and open a box. Let's say it is holiday decorations. Put a big, fat, colorful label on it that says, "Holiday Decorations," and move it to a clear space. Open the second box, figure out what's in it and label it. Put it next to the first box. Get everything labeled, which may take a few days. Make the categories very general. Not "Easter," "Christmas," and "Halloween" for the holiday decorations, but one encompassing title. Not "baseball" and "running" and "archery," but "Sports."

Then separate the boxes into groups by label. Then purge and sort what's in the boxes. Then get one or more organizing systems that fit what you have left. Shelving may not be the answer for all the various things you need to store--you might want a hanging rack for clothes, and drawers for craft supplies and wrapping paper, stacking bins for holiday decorations, etc.

You can't organize clutter. And that's what you are attempting to do here.

rgwhitaker
6-9-13, 7:53pm
You might want to try something like this:

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/storage/crates?productId=10029522&N=71236

These crates are clear (so you can see what's in them!) and collapsible.

And don't forget to go through everything and create two piles: one to keep, the other to donate.

Tussiemussies
6-9-13, 9:51pm
We had a similar attic issue so we bought Sterilite containers, I know it's not cheap, but they really work well over the long haul and you won't need shelving, just stack on top of each other and label what is inside....it works well for us and they don't fall apart like cardboard boxes eventually do. :) chris

ToomuchStuff
6-10-13, 3:44am
Do you have a basement? If not, I am going to assume, you keep seasonal stuff like a Christmas tree and decorations up there. So assuming that is true, how do you find them every year?
Next question, what do you have for tools? Do you have a circular saw? (could even use hand saws, just more energy and time consuming) How about a square (framers, roofers or combination)? Then you can EASILY build those shelves (they are nothing but 1x's holding onto a piece of plywood. You can buy section precut, or spend less and cut them yourselves (you will need to on the 1x's anyway).

This site was recommended on a woodworking forum and I gave it to my sister, whose husband is part lazy and part, incapable. http://ana-white.com/ all kinds of plans you can easily do yourself with simple tools.
The biggest problem is the starting. What I see in that picture, is stuff you don't seem to have needed, so I am the type to say get it out.

Merski
6-10-13, 7:17am
I agree about clear containers that stack. Label top, sides and front so you can also see at a glance & put similar items together. What about dropping one or two knee walls to create some kind of sliding door system to put them behind? What will this room be used for other than storage? You could also drop a rod down if it's just storage for storage of clothing or build a storage unit lined with cedar for woolens off season.

Rosemary
6-10-13, 9:13am
Clear containers are what we use, too. In our crawlspace I've used those plastic shelves that assemble in 5 minutes. Since it is a crawlspace, I use one set of parts to make 2 short units rather than a unit 4 shelves high. This might work around the edges of your attic, if you'd like to use containers without stacking them very high so that each level is easily accessed.

JaneV2.0
6-10-13, 9:56am
Costco sells large, sturdy plastic bins with latched lids in sets of three for under $20. Origami makes folding shelving units in a couple of sizes that get 5-star reviews on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Origami-R5-01-General-Purpose-Collapsible/dp/B003KWKYOW/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1370872674&sr=1-1&keywords=origami+shelves

Aqua Blue
6-10-13, 1:57pm
I don't get needing shelving if you are only going to be able to stack plastic bins 2 bins high. Why not just get same sized bins, clear if you really need to see what is inside, and stack them 2 high. Now if you were going to stack them 4 high that would be a different story.

fidgiegirl
6-10-13, 5:43pm
Thanks, all. You've given me a lot of food for thought. Perhaps the deeper issue is that DH has more stuff than me. He just does. And because it's hidden away in the attic, he has no reason to deal with it - until it's time to pack for, say, the annual fishing trip (which he is on right now) and needs me to find them items he has to take with him because he can't get into everything. And then the stuff that's communal, well, we don't have the kind of relationship where one or the other of us would just go through things and clean them out. We do that kind of thing together and consult with each other. And it's exhausting. And so it doesn't get done.

We probably do use about 40% of what's up there. Another 20% is the decorations from our former home, which you may remember me posting about - it was solid Northwoods decor, and it stressed me out (sooooo much clutter to dust and the walls were FULL) and I put my foot down when we moved and said only some of it could go back up on the walls at this house. Then another 40% is probably our collective "memory" stuff - another hard point for me and one that I've posted about in the past. So we'll see . . . I am sick of touching "stuff." I just want to get rid of it, and then DH talks me into keeping it, or I go to a garage sale . . . argh. Stoopid stuff.

How do you decide on stuff where it IS things that you use - for us, it's camping stuff, we go yearly several times - but you STILL have just toooooo much of it? I think we have 3 tents. Why do we need 3 tents? I can see two tents, ok, one for car camping (bigger) and one for backpacking (lightweight). But 3? There actually may be 4 up there . . . but I know in the last 3 years we've used at least 3 of them. So it's not like we don't use the stuff. I just question needing so much of it.

Oh well, the suggestions have been helpful, actually, so thanks for those . . . sorry for the rambly post.

Rosemary
6-10-13, 6:22pm
:|( I can't talk about camping gear... we have 3 tents, too... my old 2-person, 5# backpacking tent is now mostly used as a play/storage tent though. And I think we have 8 sleeping bags between the 3 of us... for all sorts of weather.

Gardenarian
6-19-13, 10:11pm
I use containers with wheels in my attic. It makes pulling things out of tight spaces so much easier, and saves a lot of head bumps.

fidgiegirl
6-19-13, 10:46pm
Gardenarian, do you remember where you got yours, how much, if you'd recommend, etc?

Timely response - as I was shuffling through camping gear, I was realizing how nice this would be. But I'd like to have an idea of what it might cost, too. If I do some research now, I can be armed for the back-to-school sales when this type of thing seems to go on sale for the college crowd.

Rosemary
6-20-13, 1:34am
I use 2 fairly large, old wheeled suitcases for camping gear... not only does it keep everything together for storage, but it makes getting it to the campsite a breeze!

Gardenarian
6-20-13, 6:51pm
Kelli - I have a Sterilite bin with wheels that I got at a garage sale, which turned me onto the whole wheeled thing. Now that I've looked it up, maybe I should get a couple more - very handy.
The bin is similar to this: Rolling bin (http://www.neatlysmart.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=12695&gclid=CLKkvvfb87cCFeU5Qgod2TQAXQ)
I also got a laundry sorter with wheels on it (that has our camping equipment.) I also put some casters on a wooden trunk, and that pretty much filled up the space.

nswef
6-20-13, 9:11pm
Fidgie, I got a lot of stuff out of our attic a couple years ago- going up and working for about 15 minutes at a time- heat, cold- just 15 minutes. A lot of it was easy to get rid of -either throw out or Goodwill. Now it is all in one 8 by 10 section above the garage- but not real well organized. I used bins for travel stuff and holiday stuff- the rest is waiting. Anything of my husband's is still there- unless I was able to talk him in to getting rid of it. I think for me just getting my own stuff neat works better. Good luck- it's a big job and getting rid of stuff is a never ending task- have to be in the mood!