PDA

View Full Version : simplifying relationships (need help staying in contact with friends)i am introvert

seekingsimplicity
2-27-11, 2:07pm
I am an introvert who does not need a lot of contact with my friends but would like to have a simple way of connecting with them.

Some of them are not connected with facebook, email or texting so that means calling them and sometimes I let it go for weeks on end because phone calls are exhausting to me. (I don't know why!)

For example, I have a really good friend who lives in my town who I love to be with but it seems like I have to make an effort to see her and sometimes I would just rather be home alone. She is easy to be with but I don't seem very good at figuring out how to be with her. I am not the type that likes to go to lunch or dinner or coffee. I would rather do something productive with her like maybe bake or organize our house or something like that?

I would love to hear from any of you who have simplified your relationships!

Goal:stay connected to those I want to feel close to AND maintain my own need for alone time!

Thank you!

Gina
2-27-11, 2:29pm
How about using old-fashioned snail mail? Send a nice homemade card or note with an invitation to bake or garden or...? In the 'olden days' it was really nice getting a note from a friend or relative.

fidgiegirl
2-27-11, 3:49pm
Can you set a standing date? Perhaps every first Saturday you make some soups together and each take some home? Or have a cookie date at each other's houses? Or a game night on ever third Friday, for example? My thought is that if it is a standing date then you do not have to face the scheduling adventure every time. I admit, I have the same aversion to the phone and it has cost my social connections in the past - not in completely losing the connection itself, but in the sense it not being as deep as I would like :( Good luck!

Stella
2-27-11, 5:02pm
Can I just say firstly that I am happy to hear that I'm not the only one who dislikes the phone! And I'm an extrovert.

I like the idea of a standing date. I have a weekly Girls Night and it really helps with maintaining friendships.