PDA

View Full Version : How to use up bottle of Magnesium tablets (500 mg)

seekingsimplicity
2-27-11, 4:26pm
I have half a bottle of magnesium that I would like to use up and forgot how to take it? meaning, I think I bought it for constipation but quit using it.

Anyone know if I should use it for that problem---like a daily help to prevent constipation or should I just toss it?

It says it has vitamin B6 in it too

Thanks for any help.

CathyA
2-27-11, 4:54pm
Usually magnesium should be taken in combo with calcium, since they work together, but if your problem is constipation, then the calcium would probably make it worse.
You could take as much of it a day as you wanted, until it gave you diarrhea, then back off the dosage. You could take half a tablet twice a day and see how that goes. The only side-effect of too much magnesium is diarrhea.

Float On
2-27-11, 9:25pm
I take magnesium and calcium at night. The magnesium helps prevent leg cramps.

screamingflea
3-1-11, 2:11am
Personally I don't feel that anything medical should be used simply for the sake of "using it up." People take supplements for a particular reason; if you don't need it any more then congratulations! You're in great shape. ;-) If you feel compelled to use it up you may want to consult with a doctor first to make sure you do so in an intelligent and practical way. Or you could give it to a constipated friend, but they should probably see a doctor about it first too.

JaneV2.0
3-1-11, 10:27am
Magnesium is a benign and often overlooked supplement. Most people could probably benefit from more of it in their diet. IMO, most people should take more magnesium and less calcium, as magnesium is less readily available in food. Its many uses are readily Googlable.

puglogic
3-1-11, 1:48pm
This is one thing that I take a small supplement of magnesium for: http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/magnesium/
Could that be why you had it? Do you have high blood pressure?