PDA

View Full Version : Goal of the Week

rosarugosa
6-16-13, 9:21pm
I like the blog The Non-Consumer Advocate, and recently Katie instituted something she calls the "Goal of the Week." These are mini-goals, e.g. she had determined to clear a cluttered corner of her bedroom, and her current goal is to clear clutter from dining room surfaces. I like this approach. It reminds me of the Thursday challenge here, but Thursday isn't necessarily a good day for me to get things done. This weekend, I gave myself the mini-goal of washing and storing the wool blankets, and I was pleased to accomplish that concrete little task, since so many other things have felt out of control lately. I also gave myself the task today of weeding and mulching one small garden bed, and I was able to do that as well. Usually I set larger goals, and while I accomplish them eventually, I feel like I'm falling short until I do. So I'm going to try this appraoch and see how it goes.

Here's a link to Katie's blog: http://thenonconsumeradvocate.com/category/goal-of-the-week/

razz
6-17-13, 8:55am
Funny but I was getting overwhelmed with all that I had to do lately. It is a two-man operation but just myself to do it all. I was trying to figure out how to handle things another way. I finally decided to place different jobs to be done on certain days and then I could forget about them and concentrate on the ones due to be done today. A friend advised me to make sure that I have included some fun in my goals for the week so that is possible as well

Katie has taken it to the more simple level and focused on one goal alone that needs special attention for the week. I have to think about an over-reaching simple goal for the week.

Yesterday, I stayed home aside from walking the dog twice and cleaned house, baked bread for myself and prepared enough meals for the week. I made a point of stopping to relax for about an hour with gentle music playing and just enjoyed the peace of a lovely clean home.

Today is strawberry picking day for eating and freezing for the winter. I must also spray the fruit trees and spray another Roundup shot at the poison ivy growing up my rose arbour. I will have a leisurely lunch in my lovely patio with classical music playing for my pleasure and peace. That is it for today.

Tomorrow depending on how much rain comes, I will weed the flower bed in the back and transplant my mums that have finally grown big enough.

Focus really does help in organizing one's life.

freebird914
6-17-13, 1:57pm
"Focus really does help in organizing one's life." Thanks for sharing that ...

rosarugosa
6-23-13, 12:08pm
So I never actually set a "goal of the week" last week. Maybe setting a goal this week could be my goal?
When doing housework and laundry yesterday, I did switch over to the non-heated mattress pad (more comfortable because no wires and we don't need the heat functionality in the summer). I also went through my inventory of bed linens and decluttered a dust ruffle set, a blanket, two pillow cases and two throw pillow inserts.
I moved the litter box from the back porch to the cellar since new kitty is no longer in solitary confinement, so now both litter boxes are in the cellar where they belong.
I also just planted my tomatoes, basil and parsley. These are all things that were on my "to do" list; I just hadn't made them official GOTWs.

razz
6-23-13, 1:18pm
My goal this week is to simply do the things scheduled for each day with some relaxation in between.

Crazy when each day is jam-packed with things to do and have to add lawn mowing of 1 1/2 acres to the mix plus rainy days. Today is to be peaceful with some vacuuming and dusting only.

Kestra
6-23-13, 1:22pm
It's great to accomplish small goals. If I'm getting too overwhelmed about big goals it's nice to switch to a small goal that I can easily complete. I also have trouble completing things, so by completing small things I set a precedent for myself of completion.

rosarugosa
6-30-13, 8:11pm
Well this weekend I got a nice chunk of work done in the garden: rearranging some stone work, weeding, fertilizing, mulching, pulling out some plants that were poorly sited, and repurposing the unused fire pit as a birdbath. I am definitely getting a lot of satisfaction from having made over some areas that needed attention. I hadn't set these things as goals for the weekend because it was supposed to rain, but it didn't so I seized the opportunity. So I seem to be setting my goals after the fact! I guess whatever works :)

Selah
7-1-13, 2:09am
My goal this week is to get my last two assignments done for a year-long course I'm finishing...in ten days! Two papers! Yow.

Gardenarian
7-17-13, 11:24am
How is everyone doing with their goals?

razz
7-17-13, 11:49am
Well...
* goal of gathering my herbs and hanging on the drying racks. Done!
* goal of getting a poster designed for the next course in September for local Artist's Workshop to submit for approval Done!
* goal to rid my kitchen of ants which I have struggled with for weeks. Finally bought some boric acid powder on Sunday and it is done!!!! Yay
* weekly lawn mowing done yesterday in 3.5 hours including the mower cleanup.

To do this week:
* goal - prune all my shrubs and discard cuttings and weed the gardens - to be done this weekend when it is cooler. The temp/humidity combo is insane this week.
* goal - spray with Roundup and 24D the invasive trumpet vine and deadly nightshade - to be done tonight. This trumpet vine is the worst and most invasive vine ever and keeps coming back even after 12 years of aggressive treatment.