PDA

View Full Version : Moving with very little - setting up apartment in new city

Tradd
6-17-13, 9:45pm
This is a hypothetical exercise for now, but it might turn into something else...

You move 500-1000 miles away, with only the stuff you can fit in your small car. That would mean clothes, bedding, a few books (although most are on eReader), basic kitchen stuff, a few towels. When you first get to area, you plan to stay in an extended stay hotel for a week or two until you found an apartment. Once you found an apartment, friends back in your old city would mail you a few boxes of items.

You will have a job in new city, found before the move.

The goal is to minimally furnish the new apartment as cheaply as possible. Bed/futon or upholstered furniture must be bought new, not at thrift stores, due to hygiene reasons (bed bugs and the like). Needed are something to sleep on, a small kitchen table with one chair, and something more comfortable to sit on. If apartment has a breakfast bar set up, then you would just need a stool (if one didn't come with apartment), not a table/chair. There is an IKEA in the city you're moving to. The items have to be something you can move yourself in small car - no delivery.

My first ideas: get full-sized air mattress at Walmart/Target (bedding you have is full-sized)

If you can't find a table at thrift stores, buy the smallest kitchen table at IKEA with one chair.

Something comfy to sit on: ponang chair ($70) and foot stool ($39) from IKEA. Get a side table and floor lamp.

Other items needed would be: shower curtain/rings, kitchen & bathroom trash cans, toilet brush, basic cleaning supplies.

Your ideas?

iris lilies
6-17-13, 9:51pm
I did just this when I was about 26 years old. I packed my car and later my mom sent a few boxes of stuff.

I had a "furnished" apartment, but didn't necessarily need that for the reasons you state. I don't remember the things I purchased, really have no memory of dishes and glasses. I do remember buying horribly inexpensive flatware, you just looked at it and you would bend it! But that would likely be something you'd pack in the car. Take the small, expensive stuff and jettison the bulky cheap stuff that you can replace in the new city.

Back then I used the landlord furnished bed, not sure I'd do that now.

AmeliaJane
6-17-13, 10:29pm
Ahhh, I used to move like that. Then I inherited some things from my grandparents that I would be unhappy leaving behind, so I have now entered the Age of Movers.

May I ask why delivery isn't an option? When I bought a mattress and box spring, the delivery was included. I just ask because I tried the air mattress thing when I was in temporary housing and it was way too hard on my back and knees.

Looking around my own apartment, I don't see on your list that you might wish to bring or buy: computer and printer, bathmat, laundry basket or hamper, plunger (dumb, I know, but when you need it you NEED it), storage (clothes, tools, the books, any remaining paper files--even in my most minimal days I had some bits and pieces to be contained), broom/mop/vacuum. One easily transportable solution would be one of those folding bookcases. You could thrift or IKEA bins or baskets for the shelves. I am a small woman with a small car and even I have gotten those home from the store.

I would also spend some time Googling for thrift or resale shops in my new city. A lot of times the good ones are not obvious to passersby...

Tussiemussies
6-17-13, 11:13pm
The only other things I think someone would need is: a bath mat for stepping out of the shower, dishcloths and dishrags. Sheets/blanket and pillow. I would buy a second chair so you could at least have one person over?

The best dishes to manage are Corelle sold at Walmart or off their website. They hardly ever break and stand up to a lot. We once found a nice set of stainless steel pots and pans at Walmart when my husband found a job and had to get an apt. And leave quickly. I think they were the Betty Crocker brand. Not sure if he had a microwave. One funny thing is that everything I don't like and don't buy like air fresheners that plug in, fabric softener and any other toothpaste except Tom's of Maine --he had in his apartment. His little rebellion! It was too funny.

I guess they don't watch TV. Otherwise they would need one with a stand. And their computer with a desk which could be made out of a lot of different items.....

Tradd
6-18-13, 7:38am
Person (me!) in said hypothetical situation would be moving with basic bedding and towels. Basic dishes (I actually have Corelle), silverware, two pots, a frying pan, electric kettle, small cutting board, a knife or two, a few utensils.

There's nothing about a TV because I've been TV free for years.

As for the bed, the thought was to get one, but not immediately.

The computer is a necessity. I have a laptop. Most of my books are on my Kindle. I have a zippered binder with my important papers,which I've spent a lot of time weeding those down to the minimum. There would be a few favorite DVDs in a binder for entertainment (watched on laptop). I also have a very small speaker thing I plug into my iPod or computer for good sound.

Miss Cellane
6-18-13, 8:06am
I'm also questioning why no delivery. Is it for frugality's sake or for independence?

My concern would be the air mattress. Some are fine to sleep on long-term; some aren't. And like anything else, the air mattress your best friend loves could be murder on your own personal back. I'm a firm believer that everyone should have a good, supportive, real bed, so this is the one area where I'd relax the no-delivery clause. Many mattress stores offer free delivery, or have sales with the bonus of free delivery. And many will throw in a basic metal bed frame for free or at very low cost. Ikea does charge for delivery, but their prices are such that even with delivery costs, a mattress and bed frame from Ikea might be a better buy.

If you really want to go the air mattress route, I'd try to borrow one before the move and sleep on it for at least two weeks, a month would be better. Then you would know if it's a good solution for you. They are cold to sleep on, so you really need a mattress pad or blanket under your bottom sheet to prevent waking up in the middle of the night freezing.

As for what else you might need, a small vacuum if the apartment is carpeted, a broom and dustpan if it is all hard surface floors. A mop?

I would budget for at least 3 weeks at the hotel, possibly 4. I would to be able to wait and get the right apartment in the right location, rather than have to settle for something, just because I needed to leave the hotel quickly. If it is necessary to limit the hotel stay to 2 weeks, I'd have called ahead and arranged to see apartments that were vacant or coming vacant in the right time frame immediately on arrival in the new city, or done a lot of research on-line to know what parts of the city were safe, had convenient stores and other services, and where the rents were reasonable

It took me six weeks of searching to find my current apartment. It is within walking distance of downtown in this small New England city--I can walk to the library, church, drug store, pizza place, the best bakery in town, my hair salon, City Hall, the local rec center and a couple of parks, as well as numerous small "touristy" shops. The apartment gets great sunlight, is very quiet, has a lovely porch, and a great landlord. The rent is reasonable. The area is safe, without a lot of traffic. If I'd had to pick something from the first two weeks of searching, I'd be on a busy street with lots of traffic noise, further away from the center of town, in a large modern complex where noise travels from unit to unit, paying as much as I do now for a lot less.

Tradd
6-18-13, 8:11am
The no delivery thing was more for independence.

AmeliaJane
6-18-13, 9:04am
I think the apartment search could go either way. I have never spent more than a day searching for an apartment (research and appointments done in advance) and have always found something I was perfectly happy with. A relative picked out my current place and I didn't even see it before I moved in. (It was someone who knows me extremely well and we have similar preferences about living situations, so I told her if she would feel comfortable, I would too.) Especially with Tradd's small "stuff footprint" I think she could move fairly easily if it weren't a good fit. But for other people, it's worth the extra investment of time to get "just right." That said, in the two larger cities, I had local contacts who could help me narrow down convenient and comfortable neighborhoods. If I were starting completely from scratch, it would have taken longer.

catherine
6-18-13, 9:16am
Yeah, if I were doing what this person in your hypothetical story is doing, I might consider renting a furnished short-term place for a while. When I went away for six weeks, it was great to just walk in with my one suitcase and one box of work stuff/computer. But since used furnishings are not an option..

I'd rent a studio if I didnt' have money to furnish a one-bedroom. If you're rattling around in a big place with no furniture, it's depressing. So...

A futon that would double as a couch.
A throw that would double as a second blanket
Sheets/one blanket/pillow
A lamp
An end table that could double as an eating table that could double as a workspace/desk
Three chairs
Plants / candle: something to warm the place up a bit
Occasional table for TV/computer/iPOD docking station/books

Shower curtain/rings
Three towels
Bath rug

Cheap drapes from IKEA
One of those old-fashioned curtain rods. You could use ribbon or cord to pull back the drapes during the day instead of having to buy expensive decorative rods. OR get cheap bamboo shades, as long as they provide privacy--those look nice without drapes

Rug if there are no carpets--

Vacuum/broom
Vinegar and baking powder to clean
Dish detergent
Paper towel
Scrubber

One skillet
One saucepan
Wooden spoon
Two good knives: chefs knife and paring knife
bottle/can opener/corkscrew
2-4 place settings of flatware
2-4 plates
2-4 bowls
2-4 glasses
1 mug
2 serving bowls

I think that's what I could get away with.

Miss Cellane
6-18-13, 12:10pm
I completely understand about the independence--I'm a single woman, too.

But I consider getting something delivered not as showing dependency, but as the price I pay for driving a small, fuel-efficient, easy to park car. The only things I've ever had delivered were my mattress and box spring, a sofa, a washer and dryer and some very large bookcases. That's not too bad for 32 years of living on my own.

If the air mattress works for you, that's great. But if it doesn't, I don't think getting a mattress delivered is such a bad thing.

Or you could have one shipped from Amazon, who knew? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006L8NUUC/ref=pe_385040_30332190_pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1 _dp_1

shadowmoss
6-18-13, 2:20pm
Just typed a long answer as I just did this. Tried to change a detail and lost the entire thing. So, for the even longer answer: http://shadowmoss.blogspot.com/
I've spent the time since February 15, when I came back from Honduras, doing the moving thing with what fit in my Jeep. My wrinkle is that my primary stuff, such as cooking items and dishes, were still in transit when I left Missouri to move to Phoenix. I'm hoping to be able to go back and get my 2 10'x20' storage units of stuff in September and bring it here. Then I pare down to what fits.

Tradd
6-18-13, 9:39pm
Thanks for all the ideas!

befree
6-18-13, 11:30pm
I, too, would spend money for good mattress. For other furniture, folding bookcases sound perfect for easy moving and mobility. You could even put bins or baskets on the shelves to use one in the bedroom as a dresser. And, yes, a breakfast bar with a stool would take the place of a table and chairs, but if I needed to buy one I'd look at a gateleg table with the folding chairs stored inside, that can be used as an end table when all folded up (to hold your cup of tea while you read). For living room seating, the all-weather wicker resin patio furniture sold at the big box stores look prettier, lighter, and are much cheaper than regular living room furniture. 2 matching outdoor armchairs from the garden section, resting your feet on a wicker outdoor storage chest/ottoman, sounds good to me. Plus you could fit these lightweight items into your car (although it might take more than 1 trip!) Somebody else suggested renting a place short-term, like 6 months. I think that's a great idea in a new place. All the online research in the world can't tell you what neighborhood you'll really feel at home in until you actually experience it.

ToomuchStuff
6-18-13, 11:57pm
After having some friends, blindly move to a different state, I can't help but think that if you already had a job there, you either know some people there, or have gone to visit. Either way, I would be looking at places to live at the same time as doing the job stuff.
If I knew some people there, I might be looking at the free or for low cost big items that I would need when I moved (a table could be broken up and set against a wall, a bed frame, the same.
I do know both Walmart and Amazon ship compressed mattresses. This video was posted on one of those deal of the day sites, when someone had a special (I still laugh at the music):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLwKgMIs34M

The problem with mattresses this way, IMHO, is you can't comfort test them. (but it may be inexpensive enough for a short term, thing, YMMV)

And if you have a place to live, I would think you could somewhat time a package delivery, so some items you need, could be arriving about the same time as you. (less to find there)

shadowmoss
6-19-13, 1:31am
What I found here in Phoenix is that I should have stayed in the Extended Stay instead of getting an apartment. I would have been cheaper by a fair amount once all the hidden fees were added into the rent (for the apartment). The Extended Stay had all the furniture and kitchen items I needed, and utilities were included in the price. I even had a desk, and fairly good wireless internet. They get more reasonable if you stay more than a month. I didn't hear my neighbors nearly as much as I did in the apartment, either. Just some food for thought.

jennipurrr
6-23-13, 5:58pm
I think everyone above me has the minimalist part down pat!

I'm totally down with it until the part about sleeping on the air mattress. So, I will play the devil's advocate :devil: ...in the hypothetical job negotiation can you get a fixed amount thrown in for moving expenses? I would still definitely go for your plan detailed above, but then you may be able to spring for a real matress and bed (if you want that) or other pieces of furniture/appliances that must be delivered. The first thing that came to mind is that a lot of apartments here don't have refrigerators included. The extra money may give you a little breathing room to find some pieces you like or quality stuff and not the absolutely cheapest thing ikea has to offer.

Tradd
6-23-13, 6:06pm
Jennipurr, in my industry, moving expenses are not covered unless one is a branch manager, and usually only then if your company is moving you from one city to another.

The apartments I've all seen online have all appliances included. I'm considering all sorts of options for the bed issue.

catherine
6-23-13, 6:30pm
For living room seating, the all-weather wicker resin patio furniture sold at the big box stores look prettier, lighter, and are much cheaper than regular living room furniture. 2 matching outdoor armchairs from the garden section, resting your feet on a wicker outdoor storage chest/ottoman, sounds good to me. Plus you could fit these lightweight items into your car (although it might take more than 1 trip!)

Great idea! When we allowed our kids to live in a house that was being updated and prepped for MIL's arrival, I bought a couple of outdoor chairs from Home Depot for $33 each. They were brown resin woven, just as befree described, and very comfortable. They didn't look THAT outdoorsy and a seat cushion would even make them more comfy.

iris lilies
6-24-13, 10:33am
Jennipurr, in my industry, moving expenses are not covered unless one is a branch manager, and usually only then if your company is moving you from one city to another.

The apartments I've all seen online have all appliances included. I'm considering all sorts of options for the bed issue.

It was addressed above I think, but to me, the bed the one thing you spend money on. That's what you've got savings for. I completely understand all of hte other stuff--what fits into your car and can be shipped by friends is what you've got.

Another option: twin mattress on the floor, directly on the floor.Can that fit into you car? When you move to the new town and have your apartment, buy a twin mattress (do you have a hatchback?)

SteveinMN
6-24-13, 11:09am
When you move to the new town and have your apartment, buy a twin mattress (do you have a hatchback?)
There's always the time-honored method of lashing a (twin) mattress -- carefully -- to the top of the car :)

jennipurrr
6-24-13, 11:21am
There's always the time-honored method of lashing a (twin) mattress -- carefully -- to the top of the car :)

Pay for the delivery, please!!! I can only see this ending in various disasters.

reader99
6-24-13, 12:24pm
This is a hypothetical exercise for now, but it might turn into something else...

You move 500-1000 miles away, with only the stuff you can fit in your small car. That would mean clothes, bedding, a few books (although most are on eReader), basic kitchen stuff, a few towels. When you first get to area, you plan to stay in an extended stay hotel for a week or two until you found an apartment. Once you found an apartment, friends back in your old city would mail you a few boxes of items.

You will have a job in new city, found before the move.

The goal is to minimally furnish the new apartment as cheaply as possible. Bed/futon or upholstered furniture must be bought new, not at thrift stores, due to hygiene reasons (bed bugs and the like). Needed are something to sleep on, a small kitchen table with one chair, and something more comfortable to sit on. If apartment has a breakfast bar set up, then you would just need a stool (if one didn't come with apartment), not a table/chair. There is an IKEA in the city you're moving to. The items have to be something you can move yourself in small car - no delivery.

My first ideas: get full-sized air mattress at Walmart/Target (bedding you have is full-sized)

If you can't find a table at thrift stores, buy the smallest kitchen table at IKEA with one chair.

Something comfy to sit on: ponang chair ($70) and foot stool ($39) from IKEA. Get a side table and floor lamp.

Other items needed would be: shower curtain/rings, kitchen & bathroom trash cans, toilet brush, basic cleaning supplies.

Your ideas?

I did that in 2012, though it was just across the intracoastal.

I bought a futon at Big Lots, and a combo floor and task lamp. I could sit on it to read and lay it down to sleep. I ate there too. That was good for a few weeks.

Eventually I bot bar stools and an actual bed. Now a year and a half later my condo is fully furnished

reader99
6-24-13, 12:57pm
The no delivery thing was more for independence.

I can't figure how having something delivered is a sign of dependency. It's a service. Costs less than buying a truck and hiring people to help. Thus depending on the truck and the helpers instead of depending on an available delivery service.

Tradd
6-24-13, 8:45pm
reader99, I'm stubborn. :)

And no, I wouldn't tie a mattress to the roof of my car!

mschrisgo2
6-25-13, 2:13am
Just to share my experience... I tried an airbed when I was in temporary quarters a few years back. I bought the queen size airbed (had queen linens) at Wal*Mart for about $60. It was very comfortable, except that all that air inside the bed got Very Cold at night in the winter! The dogs wouldn't even sleep with me because it was too cold for them, too, even though the air temp in the room was comfortable. I ended up buying 2 fleece blankets to put Under me!

As soon as I could I went to Ikea and bought their least expensive (unpainted) bed frame, $99, and mattress, $80. That was 7 years ago. I've just finally painted the pine frame to match the dresser and night stands I got on craigslist. I was thinking about replacing the mattress but decided to try a foam topper, and I Love it! So, I have a comfortable and relatively low cost alternative to an expensive bed. And I was able to bring all of it home in my car! :)

redfox
6-25-13, 2:48am
Costco delivers a nice foam mattress for no extra shipping fee.