PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle question: older 4Runner or new Crosstrek?

RosieTR
6-17-13, 11:35pm
We would very much like a high-clearance, snow-worthy vehicle and have been saving up for such. My heart was set on a 4Runner, which we could afford used (maybe circa 2008ish) but then I heard about the Subaru Crosstrek. I think it has comparable clearance or nearly so, however it's pretty new so maybe a bit untested. My other reservation is just how much we could push it for iffy roads. We would definitely take whatever we get on roads that require high clearance and 4WD or AWD, though serious 4-wheeling just to 4wheel is not my idea of the best time in the world. I have driven a friend's 4Runner on some serious stuff and it handled really well, so I was impressed. However, the gas mileage is much better for the Subaru and we have been in a Forester that took one of the iffiest roads we knew of short of a jeep track. Anyone have any opinion? Am I overlooking other good options for a reliable, long-lasting vehicle that really is for some gnarly roads (ie *not* soccer-mom-who-doesn't-want-a-minivan)?

simplelife4me
6-18-13, 7:13pm
The crosstrek looks good..lol.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/review-subaru-xv-crosstrek-ideal-mountain-biker-vehicle

SteveinMN
6-19-13, 10:18am
I have no preference in this one -- members of my family have owned Subarus and Toyotas with equal success.

But I will put in a vote for outfitting whatever is your choice with appropriate tires. I've driven a 4Runner (or the Nissan equivalent; I don't remember exactly) with "all-season" tires on it during winter and, pardon my French, it $ucked. Hardly anyone in the Western world would walk into a big snowfall with sneakers or pumps; why we believe one set of tires can do it all for a two-ton vehicle I simply don't understand. Winter tires on my Volkswagen let me pass any number of SUVs I see in the ditch. I'll grant that they'll probably get further into an unplowed road than I will. But 95% of the time, driving through 5+ inches of unplowed snow is not the concern; turning and stopping always is.

/soapbox

freein05
6-19-13, 9:25pm
We have a Subaru Forester and love it. It is similar to the Crosstrek. One thing to consider is that most of your driving will probably be done on paved roads. The Crosstrek has a much smother ride than the 4runner.

jennipurrr
6-21-13, 12:05pm
From what I know about the 4Runner is they are built on a truck platform, so truly more heavy duty than the car based SUVs. It always seemed overkill for my needs but I don't go offroad hardly ever and don't live in snowy/muddy/mountainous places.