PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a van to travel?

frugal-one
6-25-13, 9:01pm
Considering purchasing a van and occasionally using it as a place to sleep while on the road. Wondering the pros and cons???

SteveinMN
6-25-13, 10:13pm
Considering purchasing a van and occasionally using it as a place to sleep while on the road.
Are you going to use the old five-gallon toilet pail for bio functions? And where are you planning to park while you sleep? I'm not sure I'd spend overnight on too many rest areas and empty streets in more developed areas and I think that, nowadays, a van parked on a suburban street for some length of time would attract the local gendarmes, probably at an inconvenient time.

Tussiemussies
6-26-13, 1:32am
Have you thought about renting spots in campgrounds. I think the fee would be much less since it is a van, you don't need any hook up. You would be safer and have the restrooms and showers to use...just a thought.

goldensmom
6-26-13, 6:31am
We use a PETT portible toilet when camping, would work in a van. Parking in a 24 hr store parking lot (Walmart), hotel, church or hospital parking lot (our church allows it with permission) or truck stop might work for sleeping. Local hotels around here allow vans/RV's to park in their parking lot overnight. I've never slept in a van for longer than a few hours when traveling but I have a cousin who does it regularly to save $$$.

Float On
6-26-13, 8:55am
Know a lot of people (artists) who do that on a regular basis. A lot of art shows will rent a parking lot for overnighters - helps cut down the expenses for artists. We would of done that if we'd had a van but we always used a truck with shell. We did spend several nights sleeping in the truck at rest stops trying to make the long haul home after a show (and not wanting to spend more money on hotel rooms). There are portable solar showers you can set up inbetween the doors, porta-pots, and it's usually pretty easy to find an outdoor outlet to blow up an air mattress or use a battery adaptor. Many truck stops have showers you can rent.

Float On
6-26-13, 9:46am
http://tinycamper.wordpress.com/from-cargo-to-camper-van/ Found this, an interesting van 're-build' for traveling.

frugal-one
6-26-13, 10:33pm
Thanks for the responses! The idea is just to sleep in the van on occasion. There will not be a porta-potty. Still not sure if this will happen but we are considering. Will talk to a few other people and hear their experiences before making the decision. I'm not convinced this is the way to go... we shall see.

Blackdog Lin
6-27-13, 8:47am
We did it for several years back in the late 90's, before DH got to where he wasn't physically up to it. It was fun and affordable. We always stayed in campgrounds so we'd have bathrooms and cooking grills and/or fire rings. The back of our minivan (which I'm still driving today!) with the back bench taken out just fit a double-size mattress for our sleeping, and left plenty of room for ice chests and all the other essentials.

If memory serves, the main (and really only) downside was the lack of climate control. There were many a frigid morning when we wished for some heat; and searing evenings when we wished for some air-conditioning. Other than that, I recommend this style of camping highly.

Spartana
6-27-13, 4:28pm
I traveled in a van (and currently have a truck with a shell) for a long time. Generally stayed at campgrounds though with occasional stops at a rest area if I was driving all night. It's a nice alternative to tent camping - safer, less hassle to set up, better in foul weather, and easier on the body then sleeping on the ground. A van is better than a truck with a shell because you have access to the front and rear without having to get out of the vehicle. It's also roomier. I was thinking of buying another van myself and travel-camping that way again but after adding up the costs involved it's pretty expensive. A van costs alot more to buy than a compact car - almost double the price - and with gas at over $4/gal now, and a van only getting 20 mpg or so compared to to car getting 40 mpg, it's financially more frugal for me to get the compact car and stay in budget motels rather then van-camp. So do the math to see if it's a good financial choice for you for what seems to be a very limited amount of time you'll be sleeping in the van.