PDA

View Full Version : July Gratitude

puglogic
7-2-13, 6:50pm
Today I was approached by a young man who is looking for hourly work to help pay his bills.

When I woke, I was berating myself for not yet having completed a yard task that I've procrastinated for weeks.

That worked out quite nicely. I feel good helping him, and my fence looks much better!

redfox
7-2-13, 7:26pm
Never thought I'd say this... I am grateful for the high dose brachytherapy radiation treatment I started yesterday. Two more sessions, then hopefully I will be done with treatment!

razz
7-2-13, 7:37pm
Grateful that the group that I volunteer with was amenable to following a proposal template that I drafted with input from the internet. It makes life so much easier for everyone to organize fundraising and get approval from the various decision makers.

I had a heat pump annual maintenance man come on time scheduled and assist me by showing me how to clean my air exchanger and its filter. He also oiled it for me and helped clean out the new nest of wasps that had taken root. Not much fun when doing it be yourself on the top of a ladder.

Jilly
7-2-13, 9:36pm
Never thought I'd say this... I am grateful for the high dose brachytherapy radiation treatment I started yesterday. Two more sessions, then hopefully I will be done with treatment!

Yay!!!!!

iris lilies
7-2-13, 9:41pm
This weather! Beautiful, cool, and lots of rain. I'm grateful for a lovely spring and summer after that hellish summer of 2012.

redfox
7-3-13, 1:47am
This weather! Beautiful, cool, and lots of rain. I'm grateful for a lovely spring and summer after that hellish summer of 2012.

I'm jealous! You have Seattle weather, we have your heat. (Thank goodness not the humidity!) And, it's now breezy & 70, at 10:47pm. The bedroom A/C is off. Hopefully no more need for it this week!

puglogic
7-3-13, 10:00am
Grateful for several days of the most unimaginably fabulous weather ever. High 70's sunny, widely scattered clouds/p.m. showers, just picture-postcard pretty here in the mountains. The plants are loving it (and so am I)

puglogic
7-8-13, 11:28am
Thinking today about my body, five decades old but still very strong and healthy. Some minor inconveniences that come with getting older, but really minor things. I move it around a lot and it does lots of good work, walking in the sunshine, working in the gardens, rolling in the grass with the dogs. It is a good body and I am thankful it's mine.

Gardenarian
7-9-13, 12:18pm
I'm very thankful that we don't have financial worries. I see so much hardship.

puglogic
7-14-13, 9:38pm
I'm so glad for the rain we're having. The hail I could do without. But the rain is luscious. I moved my rain barrel up above the garden and have been collecting rainwater to help fill it. I'll be able to get a couple of waterings out of it even when it gets hot and dry next week again. Yay nature!

Gardenarian
7-16-13, 11:20am
My daughter called from camp last night and is having a wonderful time. I'm so thankful for her and the kind people who are caring for her.

Simpler at Fifty
7-16-13, 12:17pm
I am thankful DH and I could tag team mowing the lawn today. I am working from home today and was able to move my morning break and lunch to 7:45 and mowed for 45 minutes. He then picked up and mowed the rest. We have extreme humidity today and it is good to work together so one of us is not so exhausted from doing it all.

fidgiegirl
7-16-13, 7:48pm
The other day I was intensely grateful for the cold water/ice dispenser on our fridge - not so much for the actual ice/water, but for all it represents. I mean, that is seriously being spoiled - a real luxury! It represents all the material wealth in our lives. I was overwhelmed.

Gardenarian
7-17-13, 11:19am
Fidgiegirl, that made me smile :-)

I'm glad that I'm adjusting to my new early morning schedule. It's nice to up with the sun.

JaneV2.0
7-21-13, 8:32pm
My Portland friends went to sign up as extras for Grimm. I'm looking forward to looking for them, even though they haven't been hired yet.

And another Portland friend lost her dog to hemangiosarcoma a month ago. I wasn't surprised when she came home from a Petco adoption event with a "foster dog." Who is now a permanent member of the family. He was a ranch dog in Southern Oregon, four years old and hadn't been neutered! He had a run-in with a raccoon and the loving owner :devil:turned him in to the pound rather than pay the vet bill. But everything came out all right in the end--for all his poor upbringing, he's friendly and smart and learning quickly.

larknm
7-23-13, 10:31am
Last night DH set up extra climbing-around branches near our ceiling for DB (dear bird). As a typical African Grey Parrot, she's just eyeing them suspiciously now because they are a change (Gord forbid!) in her environment, but soon she'll be scooting around on them--an expanded thing to do for an active bird.

Azure
7-23-13, 8:33pm
That's pretty cool, Lark.

My gratitude is for a cool front passing through. Late this afternoon the humidity & temperature dropped. There is a good stiff breeze. Gorgeous. My favorite kind of weather. Walked the dog for the first time in a few weeks this evening.

SiouzQ.
7-24-13, 9:09am
I agree with Azure - it was/is very crisp this morning out here in Michigan, almost a hint of fall in the air this morning!

RosieTR
7-25-13, 10:47pm
I was grateful that two of my mountain adventures had a weather forecast of 50-60% chance thunderstorms, and on neither one did I have to get out the rain jacket! But, we have been getting some rain both in the mountains and down on the plains so it's not been, like Iris Lily says, the hellish summer of 2012. All good!

Also, at least one more brewery and a meadery/cidery are opening in town soon. I haven't yet even finished attending all that are within reasonable bicycling distance....:)

puglogic
7-26-13, 3:07pm
I laugh out loud whenever I hear the Stellar's Jays imitate the cries of hawks. They really do their best to sound like a big scary hawk, but then they put this chirp chirp chirp at the end of it that ruins the fear factor entirely :D Grateful I am not too old to laugh at goofy wildlife.

Lainey
7-26-13, 8:11pm
Grateful for people at work who chip in to do something even though it's "not their job." Best of all, they don't do it grudgingly or constantly remind you of how they helped - they just do it so it can get done on time.

puglogic
7-27-13, 3:35pm
I am glad for the thing in me that still gets teary-eyed at touching stories of people/animals helping one another, even though I know a quick trip to Snopes would debunk (some of) them.

It doesn't have to be the truth. It's enough for me to know that I can still feel, and that I haven't become SO judgmental and jaded. I can suspend disbelief in stories about rescued puppies and letters from God to little girls, because it's enough that they trigger that thing in me that knows there's goodness in the world somewhere.

larknm
8-2-13, 8:48pm
My African Grey Parrot, who loves music and also loves her name, Cochiti, made up her first song yesterday and sang it two different times: Oh Cochiti, How do you do? We've never said How do you do around her that we can remember. She's 10 years old.