PDA

View Full Version : summer blockbuster film The Heat

iris lilies
7-4-13, 4:47pm
This film hardly needs any more promotion, but boy, it was fun. And foul. That's what I like--foul and fun! haha. It's a cop buddy film and is the first one that has hit big with women as the stars.

Sandra Bullock is great as straight man to Melissa McCarthy, her first time in this role. I find both actresses to be very likeable and they've got "chemistry" together. Critics are touting McCarthy's perfect comedic timing. It's got good writing behind it, plot driven with appropriate jokes and hilarious dialog with a few odd characters thrown in.

I was surprised to see 4 college age men sitting in front of us at this film and they seemed to like it although none of them screamed with laughter as did a few women in the audience (including me!)

I'm sure there will be a Heat II within 18 months and I'm sure that McCarthy will command a better salary next time around. Bullock got $10 million and McCarthy got $2 million (according to one report I saw.)

CathyA
7-4-13, 7:07pm
I was wondering what they would be like. I love Melissa McCarthy. Is it real crude, or just a bit?

iris lily
7-4-13, 9:36pm
I was wondering what they would be like. I love Melissa McCarthy. Is it real crude, or just a bit?

I don't know how to quantify it. It is crude in places and in those same places funny. Melissa McCarthy is a tough talking, swearing, chick cop and Sandra Bullock is a tight *ssed FBI woman.

I wasn't all that fond of The Hangover, didn't think it was terribly funny (this is the film some critics are comparing to The Heat.) I found 40 Year Old Virgin to be sweet and a little crude and funny. I found Borat to be crude and hugely funny.

Those are my points of reference for you.

fidgiegirl
7-5-13, 12:18am
This is a movie I want to see, and I only very rarely want to see movies.

Float On
7-5-13, 9:07am
I like McCarthy too. She is seriously funny. I just saw Stolen Identity at the cheap $3 theater and immediately put Heat on my 'must see' list. My 'must see' list usually means waiting till things are at the $3 theater or available on Netflix. Our local theaters have gone up in price quite a bit and I just sit there upset about how much I've spent to sit there and deal with people who talk or won't quit texting.

mamarazz
8-22-13, 9:05pm
It was one of the funniest movies I have seen in a very long time. DH and I laughed like crazy!! Then again laughter was all we heard in the theatre.

The Storyteller
8-29-13, 5:36pm
I thought it was a very funny movie. Wife liked it ok. Iris, I hope you are right about the sequel.