PDA

View Full Version : How do you enjoy life?

SvenV
7-8-13, 1:19am
HI Community....

I just read this interesting post http://e-njoy.us/the-little-things/ about how to enjoy life and that the little things.

So my question and curiosity is how you enjoy life. What little things you enjoy and make you happy....

I really enjoy walking in the nature and watch the trees. Also I enjoy being with my friends and discuss with them and just to pass a good and funny time...

Looking forward for many responses :)

Tussiemussies
7-8-13, 1:40am
Hi Sven,

This is a fun thread. I like nature and flowers and vegetable gardens especially. Mostly I enjoy my husband, we talk every night about how our days were just being with him is a joy. I also especially have deeply loved all the dogs that we have had over time. Right now we have our Nellie and she just brings me joy.

I loved the nuisances of every season. I also enjoy crafts but have done them for some time now.

Thanks for asking...I find these simple joys are the best!

Rosemary
7-8-13, 5:29am
I not only enjoy nature, but find it essential... so restorative. I am very happy when puttering in my garden, watching the bees on my flowers, or walking in the woods. I love to hear rustling leaves on a breezy day, and I love the silence of a snowy morning.

I also spend a lot of time with my daughter, husband, and friends, and keep in regular contact with family and friends who are far away. It's not always energizing to talk to some of them, but I always feel better afterwards. And those friends who are energizing - well, there are few things better than a conversation with them.

Simple things - a just-picked strawberry; a cup of hot tea on a cold morning; sunrise and sunset; finishing a satisfying book; music that suits one's mood; the sound of a creek or river; the scent of the herbs as I walk through the garden... they are all pretty close to free.

ctg492
7-8-13, 7:48am
I love outdoors, gardens, biking running and walking, my dogs get more kisses then husband(oh and he reminds me of that). I love my time as I call it, I enjoy 5 minute hellos to random people I meet on the trails. Eating fresh homemade foods. I have a good life.
The topic is something I ponder often, as life is short now that I am watching my folks suffer from old age. Maybe too deep for this post, but 8 ish years ago we changed 100% of our life plans, sold it all, moved to the rural summer home, hubby quit work, we were going live the dream so to say. Hence why I joined many frugal simple boards. This event changed me deeply and the things that brought me joy. Husband could not do it. We went back big time to the life he wants, work, toys, home, country club. It is left us with a gap a mile wide in what we have in common to enjoy together. We evolved through this as everyone enjoy different things.

Float On
7-8-13, 8:51am
As my signature line says....I'm happiest on my kayak. It just restores me.
Love hiking and miss the days when I led 10 day backpacking trips in Colorado.
I miss my horses (something I had to give up in order for the husband to do what he wanted to do with our lives).
I enjoy my gardens (or what's left of them) and my chickens.

SteveinMN
7-8-13, 10:05am
Jeez, I think I really enjoy life! :) Good music, good food, ... I used to really enjoy riding my bike, but joint numbness took that away. I'm working back to trail riding after some alterations to my bike.

But I'd say the best way is to learn to enjoy moments. For a while I was a docent at a local garden. As the newbie, I drew the late-afternoon shift -- the hottest part of the day. I learned to treasure the occasional cooling breeze and the waft of fragrance from the flowers. Yesterday I bit into a local strawberry for the first time this season -- just a joyful experience. The first tomato of summer will be the same. Just take 'em where you find 'em!

CathyA
7-8-13, 10:06am
Sounds like we all love nature! I couldn't live without it. haha
My legs/knees/feet aren't very good any more, so we have a lifted electric golf cart with big tires. We have a large property with a field and woods, and DH has mowed trails all through it. Its become an evening tradition to take long rides and see what's happening in nature everywhere.........birds, butterflies, deer, squirrels, etc., etc.

I have several small stocktank ponds and grow lotus and lilies and marginals. They've attracted frogs and snakes, which we enjoy. I've planted lots of things to attract butterflies, so its fun watching them grow from eggs to butterflies.
We have a garden and chickens. We just can't imagine not living here in the middle of nature. It really restores our spirits!

And of course, we always enjoy having our kids come home and visit!
And of course, we enjoy making and eating good food!
Lots and lots to enjoy!

CathyA
7-8-13, 10:12am
That's so true Steve! I'm learning to "smell the roses along the way", so to speak.......to take in each and every moment/sensation and appreciate it! There's nothing too small to not enjoy greatly!

SvenV
7-8-13, 10:35am
Thank you very much for the answers...It makes me happy and I really enjoy reading what you wrote. And that makes me see that we are all the same in some way...

Gardening and plant flowers is also something I really enjoy. I have a few Bonsais, many Cactus a Banana tree and many more :) Also I always try to grow the seeds from fruits. I know have Papaya, Pineapple and Avocado. It is a really nice thing to watch how life is growing from just a seed and it comes bigger and bigger, it is just fantastic.... And I enjoy it really much.....

Have a nice monday everybody and a great week....

puglogic
7-8-13, 11:26am
Thank you, SvenV, for asking this question! It made me really happy just to sit for a while and think about all of the joys I am blessed with, and read what others wrote. A very good start to the week. May your week be just beautiful.

redfox
7-8-13, 12:13pm
Garden, good food, garden, hot tub, garden! And... hanging out in all these places & activities with my DH. Oh, and the cats.

KayLR
7-8-13, 12:14pm
I guess I'm a really physical/sensual person. Thinking about this answer, the first thing I thought of was embraces and hugs from my husband and grandson.

Next, sharing my homelife (including meal prep, gardening, etc) with hubby. Just sitting closely together to stay warm at night. I love preparing a meal he (or company when we have it) really enjoys.

Like many of you above, I enjoy the outdoors SO much. Yesterday hubs and I walked a new (to us) trail. We stopped once in a while to just look around us and look at the native flora. I looked up once into the fir canopy to a perfect circular opening to the sky, and wished I had my camera. A perfect shot that will have to wait until next time. The smell of the forest was absolutely THE best.

bae
7-8-13, 12:55pm
I like helping people.

Yesterday I put out one car fire, helped an elderly person who'd fallen off their deck and sprained an ankle, calmed down and aided a 8 year old boy with a allergic reaction to a bee sting, located an illegal burn pile right before it became a Bad Fire, and participated in a search and rescue at night of a lost 7 year old non-English speaking child in the state park here. And had coffee with my Mom.

ctg492
7-8-13, 1:55pm
Bae, that was quite a day!

SvenV
7-8-13, 2:28pm
Thank you, SvenV, for asking this question! It made me really happy just to sit for a while and think about all of the joys I am blessed with, and read what others wrote. A very good start to the week. May your week be just beautiful.

You are most welcome puglocig. The article I read made me happy and to think about this little things and how we can enjoy life. I asked myself what I like the most and what makes me happy. And then I really wondered what other people may think and what they feel about it. And I am really happy to read all this fantastic answers...

Also I just read this article here: http://e-njoy.us/enjoy-your-life/

Especially the words from Steve Jobs are great and made me to watch the whole speech in Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHWUCX6osgM
I already saw it many times and it always inspires me and motivates me.

It makes me happy and I enjoy it.

kitten
7-8-13, 3:50pm
Great topic. I love walking around a little coastal town hubby and I visit annually, and feeling the summer sun on my bare shoulders, like we did a couple weeks ago. There would be all kinds of issues around living in a small town tourist trap - it would be depressing year-round, probably, but I enjoy it in small doses.

Another thing I enjoy is problem-solving when I'm working on a creative project. I was asked to design a logo for an organization with a very long name, a designer's worst nightmare. This was a brain-churner - an org that isn't a restaurant or anything like that, but it has a food item in its name, Sticky Buns. And it has to do with caroling. So I was trying to find a single image to knit together the sticky buns and the caroling, and where in the flip do I put all of the words in this crazy-long logo? Spent the weekend sweating bullets over one failed attempt after another, and then suddenly felt it coming together. Love breakthrough moments! (Plus, they'll pay me now, lol)

Working for other people in an office setting day after day, OTOH, not so much!

puglogic
7-8-13, 4:22pm
Especially the words from Steve Jobs are great and made me to watch the whole speech in Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHWUCX6osgM
I already saw it many times and it always inspires me and motivates me.

It makes me happy too (except for when he says the words "...and I'm fine now." Which makes me sad.)

But still very nice indeed, as many times as I've seen it.

KayLR
7-8-13, 5:46pm
I meant to say to Float On....I wish you could have your horses back.

SvenV
7-8-13, 10:57pm
Thank you very much Kitten.

Problem solving that is a good one, did not think of that. But it is truth that it feels very good to solve a problem....

And I agree that working in a office for others is not so enjoyable. But maybe essential that we can enjoy later on this little things and the special moments I don't know...

Tussiemussies
7-9-13, 12:32am
Garden, good food, garden, hot tub, garden! And... hanging out in all these places & activities with my DH. Oh, and the cats.

So pretty Redfox!

Gardenarian
7-9-13, 12:17pm
I find puttering around the house and garden enjoyable. Helping my daughter with her homeschooling. Reading - I read a lot. I try to get out for an outdoor adventure at least once or twice a week (kayaking, going to the beach, hiking.)
thanks for asking!

SvenV
7-16-13, 1:35pm
I find puttering around the house and garden enjoyable. Helping my daughter with her homeschooling. Reading - I read a lot. I try to get out for an outdoor adventure at least once or twice a week (kayaking, going to the beach, hiking.)
thanks for asking!

That sounds very nice Gardenarian, thank you for sharing that with us. It is truth I also really enjoy gardening. The thing that I can watch how life is growing from just a seed to something beautiful and big.

Books are also a very enjoyable thing. Which I do very very often too:) ...

I love hiking too. And I am very curious to try kayaking too. I sometimes can go sailing, which is just great too.

You are welcome! Thank you for responding and share your ideas with us...