PDA

View Full Version : July "Finishing" Thread

AmeliaJane
7-8-13, 9:16am
Thought I would start this month's thread, since I have a big one to post, which will mean more to the computer-y folks:

I had been using Google Reader to read blogs for four years, starring (marking for later) thousands of posts--I am a recipe collector, plus, I collected a lot of work references. Google announced this spring they would be shutting down the Reader function. I discovered in mid-June, two weeks before shut-down, that the new blog reader I had picked would only import a thousand of these "star reminders." So I had to go through all of these posts and save them in a different way (I did manage to archive the last 850 to take care of after July 1). I finished last night! But the best part is that they are now organized in folders, so I know what I have and can find what I want, whereas before it took forever to find anything and I had forgotten a lot of what I had. I was able to weed out some duplicates, and links to blogs that no longer exist, and delete some that I'm not sure why I saved them in the first place. But the best part is that now, as I read new posts, I just automatically file them where they belong and I know what not to keep because I have it already (for some reason, I saved eight carrot soup recipes. That is probably enough for one lifetime.) So I should never be in this situation again.

I also finished a movie and two computer games over the long holiday weekend.

Gardenarian
7-9-13, 12:23pm
Hi!
My finishing is more like beginning - getting dd(14) signed up for all her activities in the fall. We home school, but she will start attending college part-time this year, as well as being involved in a myriad of other activities. So getting her schedule, car-pooling, registration and all set up is a big job, and I've just about got everything in place.

I have also been doing a little redecorating in my bedroom - changing up my curtains, moving things around. I died my sheets with turmeric to give a little wake-up! color in there. (They look great.) It's coming along.

Gardenarian
7-17-13, 11:22am
I've finished my curtains (tho' I was about ready to throw my sewing machine out the window. What is it with me and sewing machines? Grrr.) I found a great basket at a garage sale - a big one with a lid - that I can keep my ongoing art projects in, making my room much less cluttered. I've gone through everything in my dresser and closet, I just have to clean out the floor of my closet, and then I'll be done!

DD looks like she's going to have another great homeschool year - I'm really excited to see how college classes will work for her.

fidgiegirl
7-17-13, 12:23pm
Amelia, that is a huge accomplishment. I did that with my Diigo bookmarks a few years ago. Now I have stopped using Diigo and am only using Pinterest! Ay ay ay! Oh well, at least they are there if I need them. Occasionally I do check back on them for something or other.

Gardenarian, in MN high school kids can attend college in the junior and senior year paid by the state. I heard rumblings that I was going to be extended into the sophomore year. Sounds like your DD might be a fuzz too young for something like that but I thought I'd mention it in case your state has something similar. What an awesome year she's going to have. I do remember doing some college classes at about 16 (under the above program) and it was definitely a learning experience - not so much for the content as for the learning how to to college, so to speak. But obviously I lived to tell the tale! :)

Finishing up a few things today before a stretch of work days: cleaning up the guest room and setting it up for yoga, a call for my new little business I'm trying to get going, a call to my FiL regarding some promotional items for his little business he's trying to get going.

I am not sure if I ever told you all in previous months, but finally, FINALLY I got that pegboard organizer up! The spray paint wasn't super even, but once I actually organize on the thing that won't even be noticed.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7440/9309437096_9ca74c2cc9.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7733846@N05/9309437096/)
Pegboard organizer (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7733846@N05/9309437096/) by fidgiegirl (http://www.flickr.com/people/7733846@N05/), on Flickr

Gardenarian
7-17-13, 12:41pm
Love the pegboard!! it came out great. How are you going to use it?

Oh, dd is only 14, but you are allowed to go to state colleges at that age in CA. And as I'll be working here in the library, I feel more comfortable about it. We'll see how it goes - she has a couple of (slightly older) friends going as well.

fidgiegirl
7-17-13, 1:01pm
The pegboard will hold my loosey goosey items like sewing scissors, scrapbooking pens, colored pencils in a cup, measuring tapes, seam ripper, etc. It's pretty large - 4x3 - but I have discovered that I do so much better with stuff out and visible (not clutter, mind you, but tools) - that I figured bigger would be better in this case.

I have a ton of hooks from my dad and I plan to add wire to some old mason jars we have around here to make some "buckets" for the board. Should be good, but the room stinks right now so it won't be today. We opened up our windows in preparation for their replacement and the insulation that was in there reeeeeeeks. DH took it out today, but uff - yuckers.